Living in China

In 2004 China implemented new regulations which generally relaxed requirements for foreigners who wish to live in China indefinitely. The new criteria break down like this -

1) high level foreign personnel who hold posts in business...

2) persons who have made relativley large direct investment in China...

3) people who come to be with family...

http://www.china.org.cn/e-news/news040820.htm

Application is made to the public security office of the municipality in which you wish to reside. Laopo says that they will be very happy to have free-spending foreigners around to help the local economy and suggests that the actual procedure will go something like this -

1) Make an appointment to see the head of the local public security office

2) Fill out the required paperwork and put it in an envelope

3) Go to the bank and withdraw a large stack of 100 RMB notes

4) Put them in the envelope

5) Do you have the picture now?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In 2004 China implemented new regulations which generally relaxed requirements for foreigners who wish to live in China indefinitely. The new criteria break down like this -

Application is made to the public security office of the municipality in which you wish to reside. Laopo says that they will be very happy to have free-spending foreigners around to help the local economy and suggests that the actual procedure will go something like this -

210190[/snapback]

Sounds like the Chinese version of an Affidavit of support... :)

210190[/snapback]

Sounds like the Chinese version of an Affidavit of support... :)

210200[/snapback]

I realized how similar their system is to ours Lee..but without lobbyists...

Sorry, but I really can't see the similarities at all. Even jokingly..... an "affidavit of support" vs. a bag full of money given to some guy. And a stack of 100RMB's not going to do it.

Now I do see lobbyist and a bag full of money to have a lot of similarities. There's just more foreplay with lobbyist's.

Ok, seriously, I think China realizes that a bunch of retired guys' Social Security checks would be good for the economy.

210377[/snapback]

ROFL.... you still think there are going to be social security checks for us...... :roller:

210402[/snapback]

Bob is not worried because, as you can see from his avatar, he can pull a rickshaw. I think seeing a laowei pulling a rickshaw would be such a novelty in China that he would have lines of both Chinese and foreigners waiting for his service... :surrender:

Maybe the application is made at the local public security office, but it would seem to me that they would then have to go ahead and send it to a more central part of the government for the stamp and approval. I can't believe the local office would have possession of the proper stamp. I would rather send the application to the central office myself rather than have to make a payoff to the local corrupt officials.

At least there is a possiblity to actually get something done over there in a timely fashion. Seems like the procees here is not working at all. If one can grease the wheels so be it. This waiting around is for the birds. All you get is the old wait for two weeks and check again. If you could go somewhere and camp out untill you could see someone actually do something with a stamp I'ld pay money to see it happen! Just kidding. All I want to see is the system work the way it is set up. Only in half the time.

Maybe the application is made at the local public security office, but it would seem to me that they would then have to go ahead and send it to a more central part of the government for the stamp and approval.  I can't believe the local office would have possession of the proper stamp. I would rather send the application to the central office myself rather than have to make a payoff to the local corrupt officials.

210452[/snapback]

Robert I'm no expert on the inner workings of the Chinese government but I do know how deeply rooted "guangxi" is to the Chinese way of doing things. These are not "corrupt local officials", they are merely doing business that way it has been done in China for thousands of years. The late, great Democratic House leader Tip O'Neill left us with, "all politics is local."

If you read the "green card" requirements strictly you will find that most of us would not qualify. But there is some "wiggle room" left for local officials to make these decisions. I also suspect that there may be further reforms of this system before the 7 years are up and I have to really worry about it.

At least there is a possiblity to actually get something done over there in a timely fashion. Seems like the procees here is not working at all. If one can grease the wheels so be it. This waiting around is for the birds. All you get is the old wait for two weeks and check again. If you could go somewhere and camp out untill you could see someone actually do something with a stamp I'ld pay money to see it happen! Just kidding. All I want to see is the system work the way it is set up. Only in half the time.

210457[/snapback]

Being from Chicago I am well acquainted with "grease"...and as for the birds they are actually very busy around Wisconsin right now building nests and... :blink: :blink: As for our system it does seem to work... :) only incredibly slowly...like watching a gigantic gear turning that makes one revolution every 100 years... :D Hang in there George... :toot: You'll be a bird soon enough... :roller:

Ok, seriously, I think China realizes that a bunch of retired guys' Social Security checks would be good for the economy.

210377[/snapback]

ROFL.... you still think there are going to be social security checks for us...... :lol:

210402[/snapback]

Bob is not worried because, as you can see from his avatar, he can pull a rickshaw. I think seeing a laowei pulling a rickshaw would be such a novelty in China that he would have lines of both Chinese and foreigners waiting for his service... :huh:

210410[/snapback]

Hey I'm counting on that rickshaw income. That's my retirement plan. I think I'll get one all blinged out with some cool spinners in the spokes.

I have some questions about living in China, as many of us consider retiring in China and buying property there. I hope someone can correct me but my understanding is that there are some problems associated with living in China, particularly since neither country recognizes dual citizenship.

If we were to move to China and stay for longer than six months and then decide to return to the US there could be a problem with our green card spouse returning to the US. Possibly have to file for a US VISA again and waiting another year for the interview in GZ?

If our spouse is naturalized in the US and her parents have both passed away then I believe she could only return to China as a tourist or on an employment based VISA.

Hopefully my assumptions are wrong but this is what I recollect from picking up bits and pieces over the last couple of years. I would like to think that we could come and go as we wish between the two countries but the mix of bureaucratic regulations and laws prevents this from being the case.

Hopefully someone here as knowledge or experience in these matters.

210377[/snapback]

ROFL.... you still think there are going to be social security checks for us...... :P

210402[/snapback]

Bob is not worried because, as you can see from his avatar, he can pull a rickshaw. I think seeing a laowei pulling a rickshaw would be such a novelty in China that he would have lines of both Chinese and foreigners waiting for his service... :V:

210410[/snapback]

Hey I'm counting on that rickshaw income. That's my retirement plan. I think I'll get one all blinged out with some cool spinners in the spokes.

210509[/snapback]

Bling bling, you go Bob :P I want to be your first paying customer, think your back is up to it ???:tomato: :crutch: