Vista Home Premium

Try Japanese - same characters.

Actually, no they aren't. Japanese only uses 1,950 Chinese characters. Some Japanese Kanji are the same as Simplified Chinese characters, some are the same as Traditional ones, and some are different from either common form. Japanese also contains 2 phonetic alphabets unused in China. So there is some overlap (mostly with Traditional Chinese characters), but it would be pretty much useless.

Edited by Jeikun (see edit history)

Actually, no they aren't. Japanese only uses 1,950 Chinese characters. Some Japanese Kanji are the same as Simplified Chinese characters, some are the same as Traditional ones, and some are different from either common form. Japanese also contains 2 phonetic alphabets unused in China. So there is some overlap (mostly with Traditional Chinese characters), but it would be pretty much useless.

Japanese do use a lot of Chinese chararcters. When we bought our new rice cooker Bing could read enough of the instructions to figure it out. The Japanese learned to write from the Chinese. Kanji was kind of a short hand adapted from Chinese characters.

Writing in Japan in the sixth and seventh centuries AD. Like so much else in early Japanese culture, it was a direct import from China. Since the Japanese had no native writing system, the introduction of literacy involved writing first in Chinese using Chinese characters. However, since knowledge of Chinese was limited, the Japanese soon adapted the Chinese style of writing to the Japanese language¡ªby the seventh century AD, the Japanese were writing Japanese using the Chinese style of writing. Japanese, however, was an exponentially different language than Chinese ¡ªthey are not even in the same language family¡ªso the development of Japanese writing involved ingenious but complex reconfigurations of Chinese writing.

http://www.wsu.edu/~dee/ANCJAPAN/WRITING.HTM

Japanese do use a lot of Chinese chararcters. When we bought our new rice cooker Bing could read enough of the instructions to figure it out. The Japanese learned to write from the Chinese. Kanji was kind of a short hand adapted from Chinese characters.

Writing in Japan in the sixth and seventh centuries AD. Like so much else in early Japanese culture, it was a direct import from China. Since the Japanese had no native writing system, the introduction of literacy involved writing first in Chinese using Chinese characters. However, since knowledge of Chinese was limited, the Japanese soon adapted the Chinese style of writing to the Japanese language¡ªby the seventh century AD, the Japanese were writing Japanese using the Chinese style of writing. Japanese, however, was an exponentially different language than Chinese ¡ªthey are not even in the same language family¡ªso the development of Japanese writing involved ingenious but complex reconfigurations of Chinese writing.

I think you mean Kana(Hiragana/Katakana) is a shorthand from Chinese characters. Kanji is actual Chinese characters (Kan = Han, Ji= character) and mostly "Traditional" or even more complex, rather than the newer "Simplified" forms usually used to write Mandarin nowdays.

Point being, despite similarities you couldn't use the Japanese IME, or non-unicode settings to properly display Chinese. A few characters would make sence, and most would display as empty boxes or gobbilty-gook, and the Japanese IME will be looking for romanji or hiragana, not pinyin or some other Chinese input method, so would be impossible to use.

Edited by Jeikun (see edit history)

We have two computers with windows vista premium. My wife's desktop I set up microsoft pinyin ime 3.0 easily a year ago when it was new. Just last night I did my new laptop the same way about an hour before I saw this thread.

It's all done very easily from within the operating system. Go to regional and language settings in the control panel. I found it to be even easier than xp because the computer will display the characters right out of the box. All you have to do is setup the input method. with xp I had to first figure out how to display them.

U have to have Vista ultimate in order to see and use chinese characters unless you purchase the seperate Langauge package.

Sorry for the tough break...:-(

scooby94 is right: You must have Vista ultimate to see and use Chinese.

I have this installed on my system and have had no problems.

Works great!!

Always do your home work and research before buying software.

But Vista ultimate needs a powerful system to run the way it should.

Like this one.

gallery_2511_362_59063.jpg

I can build ya one for a small fee $$$$$$$$

I use Ultimate with an older system. Athalon XP 2200 and it works just find. I did get a decent graphics card the lower level 7600 Nvidia card. I run chinese just fine on this system.

I have always built my own systems.

You can not get a system like this any where in any store.

Here are the spec's.

If your understand computers you will understand these spec's

CASE NZXT|LEXA BLACKLINE BK RT

MB ABIT IP35 Pro 775 bios 14

CPU INTEL|C2Q Q6600 2.40G 775

LIQD SWIFTECH|H20-220-APEX-GT RT

VGA EVGA 512-P3-N841-A3 8800GTS 512

2=seagate beracuda HD 250G|ST 7K 16M SATA2

Running Raid-0

PSU ABS|BZ700 700W RTL

MEM 2Gx4|GSK F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ R

CASE MOD|COLD CATHODE KIT CLK15BL

5LED LAZER LIGHT |LOGISYS MDLED5RGB

CASE LIGHT LOGISYS|CLK12UV2 OEM

Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit

Look at line number 4) That is a water cooler.

And look at line number 9) mem 8GBs

And of course mother board ABIT IP35

and to top it off Itel due 2 quad core.

Any questions????

I'll pit my Sun M9000 against your Wintel System :unsure:

64 CPUs - quad core , dual threaded (Can run up to 512 concurrent threads)

2 TB of memory

288 I/O slots

etc

Of course it a heck of a lot larger then a desk top system, it 2 full sized stand-alone cabinets. Not exacts something you can put under your desk...

I think you mean Kana(Hiragana/Katakana) is a shorthand from Chinese characters. Kanji is actual Chinese characters (Kan = Han, Ji= character) and mostly "Traditional" or even more complex, rather than the newer "Simplified" forms usually used to write Mandarin nowdays.

Point being, despite similarities you couldn't use the Japanese IME, or non-unicode settings to properly display Chinese. A few characters would make sence, and most would display as empty boxes or gobbilty-gook, and the Japanese IME will be looking for romanji or hiragana, not pinyin or some other Chinese input method, so would be impossible to use.

I believe you are right. I could never keep them straight.

I believe you are right. I could never keep them straight.

We installed the Japanese IME in order to input handwritten Chinese characters through a writing pad - it was apparently done this way in order to get around patents on the character recognition software.

The Japanese input methods support the full range of characters used in the Japanese alphabet: Kanji, the Chinese character set, the two syllabaries hiragana and katakana, and the Western alphabet (Romaji).
Japanese Input Methods The hiragana, katakana, and romaji are not needed for Chinese input. The pinyin and other methods are supported by the Chinese IME

Jiaying prefers the Twinbridge software, however, since it allows a larger writing area.

you setup Vista Home Premium basically same way as XP, in Regional and Language Options...

I setup my wife's VHP with chinese and even got wubi working, which many online places says it won't work...

In Regional and Language Options, there is no option on Vista Home Premium for Chinese. I can get Chinese website and Yahoo Chinese fine but there is no way to have Chinese IME for emails ect. If we get in a language problem, I can write something in English and it will tranlate in to Chinese on Google Translate. However she can not write in Mandarin and translate back to me from Chinese to English....What is wubi ?

so obviously the great satan of Microsoft has created two versions of VHP :blink:

or you can PM me so we can try to chat about it... or you can write 100 more posts about this ;)

I went through this one more time and this time, I got it working. I kept ending up on the MS website and that was my problem. By the way MS support told me that the only way that I could get Chinese was to upgrade to Ultimate. Shows what they know. Thanks everyone. I will have a very happy Chinese wife tonight. As you know, a happy Chinese wife makes for a very happy husband. I can not wait for my reward, if you know what I mean.....YP

I will have a very happy Chinese wife tonight. As you know, a happy Chinese wife makes for a very happy husband. I can not wait for my reward, if you know what I mean.....YP

She's going to make Hot Pot for you for dinner?!?!

I have been running Vista Enterprise Edition, and it's Chinese IME is the advanced one that adaptively learns commonly used words.

Go to Control Panel.

Select [Clock, Language, Region] and Change Keyboards and other input methods.

Select Change Keyboards...

Select ADD

Scroll down to Chinese (Simplified, PRC), and expand it and expand Keyboard. Check the IME that you want Microsoft Pinyin IME is the easiest one to you, but you can check them all.

Once this is done you will see an [EN] down on the task bar near the clock, you use this language bar to switch between English and Chinese

Vista Service Pack 1 will be out soon (is out?) you can download it via Bit Torrent anyhow. It gives many many fixes and may just be the time to install. I will be building my own system here soon, my hard drive in this old lap is about to fail. Goodbye XP, we had good times ;-)

• 1 month later...

I have been running Vista Enterprise Edition, and it's Chinese IME is the advanced one that adaptively learns commonly used words.

Go to Control Panel.

Select ADD

Scroll down to Chinese (Simplified, PRC), and expand it and expand Keyboard. Check the IME that you want Microsoft Pinyin IME is the easiest one to you, but you can check them all.

Once this is done you will see an [EN] down on the task bar near the clock, you use this language bar to switch between English and Chinese

Thanks!

:) 27 posts and 2 months later

Guest Mike and Lily

I will have a very happy Chinese wife tonight. As you know, a happy Chinese wife makes for a very happy husband. I can not wait for my reward, if you know what I mean.....YP

She's going to make Hot Pot for you for dinner?!?!

:)

Go to Control Panel.

Select ADD

Thanks!

:) 27 posts and 2 months later

Ok,I tried that,but the computer told me I need to insert

one of the two "Windows XP CD's",but I dont have them,so no go.