Wedding prices soaring: to be or not to be married?

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2008-02...t_6467112_3.htm

For China's young men, who are expected to outnumber women by 25 million by 2030 due to a gender imbalance, the rising cost of getting married, including buying a home, has prompted many to give up altogether.

A survey of registered residents by the society and population studies department of Guangdong Academy of Social Sciences found 21 million single people aged over 15 in the province, 32 percent of all adults, up eight percent from 1996, indicating a growing army of bachelors.

The expense of marriage definitely contributes to the increase in bachelors, especially considering the new requirement of housing, according to department deputy director, Zuo Xiaosi.

"A sewing machine, a bicycle and a watch, which used to be three necessities of marriage, cost several months of income in the 1980s, but now an apartment costs at least ten years pay," Zuo said.

Including a home, the average expenditure in cities reached 560,000 yuan, said the Report on China's Marriage Industry Development by the Ministry of Commerce and China's Wedding Expo in 2007.

The report prompted comments on Internet bulletin board systems, including: "I have no choice but to be a bachelor" and "Marrying a computer seems to be much cheaper."

Interesting article. Will more women seek cross-cultural marriages based on this study? Seems like a profitable prospect for marriage brokers.

For China's young men, who are expected to outnumber women by 25 million by 2030 due to a gender imbalance, the rising cost of getting married, including buying a home, has prompted many to give up altogether.

A survey of registered residents by the society and population studies department of Guangdong Academy of Social Sciences found 21 million single people aged over 15 in the province, 32 percent of all adults, up eight percent from 1996, indicating a growing army of bachelors.

The expense of marriage definitely contributes to the increase in bachelors, especially considering the new requirement of housing, according to department deputy director, Zuo Xiaosi.

"A sewing machine, a bicycle and a watch, which used to be three necessities of marriage, cost several months of income in the 1980s, but now an apartment costs at least ten years pay," Zuo said.

Including a home, the average expenditure in cities reached 560,000 yuan, said the Report on China's Marriage Industry Development by the Ministry of Commerce and China's Wedding Expo in 2007.

The report prompted comments on Internet bulletin board systems, including: "I have no choice but to be a bachelor" and "Marrying a computer seems to be much cheaper."

Interesting article. Will more women seek cross-cultural marriages based on this study? Seems like a profitable prospect for marriage brokers.

I gotta believe the gov't will try do something about this at some point. Housing subsidies for newlyweds maybe? Outright payments? Or could they somehow make it more difficult for women to marry "outsiders" like us?

Just throwing stuff out there. :rolleyes:

Edited by IllinoisDave (see edit history)
Guest Mike and Lily

I gotta believe the gov't will try do something about this at some point. Housing subsidies for newlyweds maybe? Outright payments? Or could they somehow make it more difficult for women to marry "outsiders" like us?

Just throwing stuff out there. :sweating_buckets:

I doubt they will make it more difficult for guys like us. Only the U.S. Government will do that. We are definitely good for the Chinese economy. But I do think they will take steps to resolve the gender imbalance in other ways.

Very interesting, but I thought the young couple would move in with someone's parents? What did I miss?

Often the parents buy the apartment for the kids.

Interesting article, so many Chinese women want to come here now, so may change a bit, but.................... B) ;)

Guest Tony n Terrific

Very interesting, but I thought the young couple would move in with someone's parents? What did I miss?

Try seeing the re-runs of Walton's Mountain.

Funny Tony, but you just dated yourself!! B) ;)

Mark I said Re-runs. But I still remember Howdy Duty, Ed Sullivan Show, Wucy I home!, Captain Video etc. :crutch:

Just throwing stuff out there. :)

I doubt they will make it more difficult for guys like us. Only the U.S. Government will do that. We are definitely good for the Chinese economy. But I do think they will take steps to resolve the gender imbalance in other ways.

Just wait till I find the love of my life. They will make the changes effective the next day.