A week to go before our 1st meeting

Guest Tony n Terrific

I came across this info in another forum... not sure if it's current or outdated. Has anyone ever "registered" with the local PSB when staying at the home of your SO? Apparently you can be fined 500 RMB/day. Again, I'm not sure if this enforced or not. Can anyone shed any light on this subject? If you're going to be there for a month, it might be good to know for sure.

According to China Law...

"Article 30 - When an alien wishes to lodge at the home of a Chinese resident. In urban areas, the host or the lodger shall, within 24 hours of the lodger's arrival, report to the local public security bureau with the lodger's passport and certificate as well as the host's residence booklet and fill in registration forms of temporary accommodation. In rural areas, the host or lodger shall report to the local police station or residence registration office within 72 hours of the lodger's arrival."

This was a highly contested thread awhile back, yes that is the law but.............

Seven trips ... never registered ...

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have a happy trip Tony. I've got nothin' else to add to what's already been said.

I made 4 trips in the first 9 months of meetin' my lady and never "knowingly" registered. Can't even remember if the hotel looked at my passport...I jest wanted to GET TO THE ROOM. :ph34r:

Good luck to ya,

tsap seui

Ahhh February in China ... Nanning, I believe ... however much you thought about it, it will be colder than you imagined. You can buy long underwear, down parkas, and down vests at good prices in China. If you're on the tall/big side you'll need to do a little shopping to find the right sizes.

Others will give you the lists, the documents, etc ... my advice is bring whatever you can to keep warm and let her know you want to buy additional warm clothing in the first few days. Very seldom do the majority of Chinese turn on heat in apartments. Everyone wear long johns and jackets or vests indoors.

Have fun, take lots of pictures ... ;)

Jim, if it's Nanning don't think it will be that cold. Jan. and Feb. are

in the 60's after March, it just gets hot.

Really ... OK ... my bad ... back to China geography lessons!

I remember fighting for control of the ac in Oct. Feb. was comfortable B)

Just 5 minutes ago talked to Jing in Nanning, It's around 38 there and wet and cold ... dress warm and try to stay dry if possible

She will be in Sunny Florida in 12 days :P

Tony,

Remember above all to have the time of your life. Nanning is a big, beautiful city with lots to do and see, The food is great and the people are friendly. If you are staying with your girl at her place, it would be a good idea to register just to be safe. If you are staying in a hotel don't worry about it. Take comfortable shoes because you will do alot of walking, Take warm clothes because i know it's cold there right now. Take lots of pictures because you are going to want to remember every minute of it. and remember to keep an open mind. China is a wonderful place... but very, very different from anything in the US.

Have a great time, and if you see Jing ... tell her i love her and to hurry it up ... i miss her ;)

Has anyone ever "registered" with the local PSB when staying at the home of your SO? Apparently you can be fined 500 RMB/day. Again, I'm not sure if this enforced or not. Can anyone shed any light on this subject? If you're going to be there for a month, it might be good to know for sure.

According to China Law...

"Article 30 - When an alien wishes to lodge at the home of a Chinese resident. In urban areas, the host or the lodger shall, within 24 hours of the lodger's arrival, report to the local public security bureau with the lodger's passport and certificate as well as the host's residence booklet and fill in registration forms of temporary accommodation. In rural areas, the host or lodger shall report to the local police station or residence registration office within 72 hours of the lodger's arrival."

As in the USA, what is on the books is not always enforced, until needed to be. As it is such an easy process to register, and further provides official goverment evidence of you 2 living together, why not?

The chances of it being enforced upon you, nill. The chance of the Chinese penal system being unpleasant to you, pretty good. :)

Are you a betting man?

It is more likely to be enforced in small cities or rural areas than in the bigger cities. I never registered on any of my trips and only one hotel wanted to see my passport with visa.

Three trips 6 hotels, all asked for my passport, every bank I exchanged money in, needed to see the passport first!! B) ;) We asked for some information one day in Beijing with an official, needed to see my passport!!

So how lucky is anyone, well did you hit the lottery this week?? B)

Guest Tony n Terrific

I registered it was a 5-10 minute deal. No biggie time wise. Sent the stamped receipt when I sent in K-1 as further proof we met.I had a Chinese teacher who strongly advised to have it done. Her reason was if a neighbor has bad blood with your SO then they could cause a great deal of trouble.

My SO told me this morning that it was not necessary to register with Johnny Law. I don't know about this. I would hate for us to have a problem with the Chinese authorities. B) B) ;) :unsure:

Edited by Tony n Terrific (see edit history)

3 trips there and did not even know I need to register. :)

Don't worry Gino, it'll definately be on your permanent record. B)

Geez.. I think I'll need a fake ID ;), Dave.

Best wishes,

Gino & Lulu