A week to go before our 1st meeting

Guest Tony n Terrific

Guest Tony n Terrific

I will be meeting my SO a week from today for the 1st time We are planning on being together the whole month of Febuary which of course includes the Spring Festival. What are some recomendations we can do to make this easier and to eliminate the forget me nots which will be time consuming as well as expensive. We have talked of going the K-1 Visa.

What documents does she need to have translated into English?

Maybe better said what where your experieces when you 1st applied for a K-1 Visa. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Big Ditto on the pics. Especially with you and her with family members.

You can take pre-filled or blank copies of the G-325As with you for her to sign/fill out. You'll need 4 for the I-129f so have her sign/fill out 8 of them so you have extras for the duplicate.

She'll also need to sign her letter of intention. You can type one up here,make a couple copies and just have her sign them. Use the guide at Visa Journey, pretty simple.

She'll need to have her birth certificate,police certificate and single certificate translated. Only the birth certificate can be done now as the others are time sensitive and should be done closer to the interview. My wife also had her college diploma translated.

I took some stick-on mailing labels and had her write her address in Chinese characters to use on any letters/packages I sent. I took some small 1x3s for letters/cards and larger 2x4s for packages.

Some folks suggest forgetting all the paperwork for now and just enjoying each other. Normally I wouldn't argue with that, but since you're going to be there for a whole month, there should be plenty of time for both. :blush:

Having said that, the most important thing IS to have fun and get to know each other. This will probably be the most exciting trip of your life for many reasons so try and savor each minute and really enjoy each other's company and try to get a sense of your compatibilty.

Good luck.:whistling:

Edited by IllinoisDave (see edit history)

Tony,

I'm by no means an expert here, I've read lots of good advice from many folks. My first trip was last October, spent almost the whole month there, and it was awesome. I'm leaving again Friday for my second trip. I wasn't to worried I might forget something, as it can easily be purchased when you are there, cheaper. Even house shoes. They got some for me, but it took a while to find some my size. lol Travel light would be my best suggestion, fighting a crowd of people trying to squeeze though a small opening to get on a plane/train whatever is no picknick. Even just walking down the street. Tiny little chinese girls will muscle right in front of you. If you are lugging a couple of big bags, they'll run you over, IMHO. lol New Years will only be worse. Jie told me before I left, "don't worry you run out of clothes, we can wash". Others had some good suggestion about the paper work. But my first trip, like Dave said, I just wanted to consentrate on her. I just wanted to see how we were together, and savor that time. I was there almost the whole month and knew her a year before I went, but the time still flew by to fast.

JMHO,

Jeff

Edited by mao mao so (see edit history)

Dave pretty much nailed it. My advice though would be to get all of her biographic information now and fill out all the forms before you go. Take blank extras in case you make a mistake. Have her sign all of them while there then enjoy yourself and not worry about boring government forms. You won't be able to take your eyes off of her anyway. There are two notarial forms she will need that don't expire. Her birth certificate and divorce decree. The only one actually required for the I-129 F is the divorce decree. I included my wife's birth certificate anyway. Send copies and hang on to the originals. Above all enjoy yourself and try to get to really know her.

Big Ditto on the pics. Especially with you and her with family members.

You can take pre-filled or blank copies of the G-325As with you for her to sign/fill out. You'll need 4 for the I-129f so have her sign/fill out 8 of them so you have extras for the duplicate.

She'll also need to sign her letter of intention. You can type one up here,make a couple copies and just have her sign them. Use the guide at Visa Journey, pretty simple.

She'll need to have her birth certificate,police certificate and single certificate translated. Only the birth certificate can be done now as the others are time sensitive and should be done closer to the interview. My wife also had her college diploma translated.

I took some stick-on mailing labels and had her write her address in Chinese characters to use on any letters/packages I sent. I took some small 1x3s for letters/cards and larger 2x4s for packages.

Some folks suggest forgetting all the paperwork for now and just enjoying each other. Normally I wouldn't argue with that, but since you're going to be there for a whole month, there should be plenty of time for both. :blink:

Having said that, the most important thing IS to have fun and get to know each other. This will probably be the most exciting trip of your life for many reasons so try and savor each minute and really enjoy each other's company and try to get a sense of your compatibilty.

Good luck.:rolleyes:

The forms you need as usual Dave is right on!!

I went for only around 8 days my first trip and spent way too much time on paper work, not enough on her!! So being there for a month is very nice, wish I had the days off or $$ to do it!!

Good camera with an extra memory card and batteries, make sure your camera can date stamp the pics!

If going for a month I would take some US medicine in case you get a bug or something. The herbal stuff works great but at least I was not used to it!!

Gifts??

If this is your first meeting language may be difficult - but fun. I suggest you find an electronic translator while you are there that will translate full sentences. You no longer have the computer between you. Find one she is comfortable with and can translate English to Chinese too. She will get you to the screen. This was so important on our first meeting when she wanted to communicate anything serious and important.

Have a few SD cards for your camera. Empty everything out of your wallet that you absolutely don't need to carry and put it in your front pocket. Carry a photocopy of your passport and keep the original locked up. Carry some money (100 RMB). ATM's are quite good, but it may take a few before you find a compatible one. Never carry much unless you are going to pay for a particular dinner, etc.

Travel light. You can purchase anything you need there. Leave the clothes behind when you go.

Learn some Chinese and use it!

...and, Have Fun! A month! wow!

Edited by Jay & Ping (see edit history)

Ahhh February in China ... Nanning, I believe ... however much you thought about it, it will be colder than you imagined. You can buy long underwear, down parkas, and down vests at good prices in China. If you're on the tall/big side you'll need to do a little shopping to find the right sizes.

Others will give you the lists, the documents, etc ... my advice is bring whatever you can to keep warm and let her know you want to buy additional warm clothing in the first few days. Very seldom do the majority of Chinese turn on heat in apartments. Everyone wear long johns and jackets or vests indoors.

Have fun, take lots of pictures ... :rolleyes:

Jim, if it's Nanning don't think it will be that cold. Jan. and Feb. are

in the 60's after March, it just gets hot.

Ahhh February in China ... Nanning, I believe ... however much you thought about it, it will be colder than you imagined. You can buy long underwear, down parkas, and down vests at good prices in China. If you're on the tall/big side you'll need to do a little shopping to find the right sizes.

Others will give you the lists, the documents, etc ... my advice is bring whatever you can to keep warm and let her know you want to buy additional warm clothing in the first few days. Very seldom do the majority of Chinese turn on heat in apartments. Everyone wear long johns and jackets or vests indoors.

Really ... OK ... my bad ... back to China geography lessons!

I remember fighting for control of the ac in Oct. Feb. was comfortable ;)

Guest Tony n Terrific

Have fun, take lots of pictures ... ;)

When I chatted with my SO this morning it was 39 F in Nanning at 8PM China time. She was complaining that is the coldest in 15 years there. She has a small space heater for comfort but I doubt the insulation is very good. When she was on the webcam she looked like she was just returning from a skating rink. She was all bundle :rotfl: up with her coat zipped to the top a cute red cap on and a scarf arond her neck. I ask her if she liked Nancy Kerrigan and she wanted to know if this was my aunt :rolleyes:

Edited by Tony n Terrific (see edit history)

Have fun, take lots of pictures ... B)

When I chatted with my SO this morning it was 39 F in Nanning at 8PM China time. She was complaining that is the coldest in 15 years there. She has a small space heater for comfort but I doubt the insulation is very good. When she was on the webcam she looked like she was just returning from a skating rink. She was all bundle :D up with her coat zipped to the top a cute red cap on and a scarf arond her neck. I ask her if she liked Nancy Kerrigan and she wanted to know if this was my aunt :)

My wife never seen 39 in Nanning <_< ! But now living in the north east,

she knows all too well <_< !

Edited by lou (see edit history)