My gal's first two week experience in USA

My gal's two weeks here in USA has been good and bad. We had very hot weather the last week and she can't believed the window AC is so noisy comparing to AC in China. Also, she has a hard time sleeping with the bed here (too soft). She loves to open all the windows because she thinks flesh air is good (even though it is very hot). She loves eating grapes, strawberries, and apples here. She loves to wash her face and hands all the time. She thinks she is still in China and one must do that. Life with her has been wonderful. We will get marry in a week or two. In Chinese custom, one shouldn't get marry in July (Lunar calender).

BTW. My PC has been sent back to HP for repair. I should be get it back next week.

My wife will be here in the end of july. now, besides cleaning the house, i have to buy makeup and lotions for her. before that, i have no idea how expensive is lancome, estee lauder, and .... :unsure:

anyway, i bought all those on line, it's much cheaper than the department stores.

It is such a joy to see that you and your loved one are together at last Tony. The little adjustments that you mention will take time. The issue of the bed is a familiar one. Li also thinks the beds here are too soft. During the years I lived in China I always felt the beds were too hard. The one I slept on for four years in Shantou for four years was like sleeping on concrete.

:unsure: :blink: : ;)

Would love to hear more about your ladies adjustments and adventures. :huh:

Guest tld1954

I wept as I read the description of your gal's adaptation to the US as I recognised these quirks immediately. My sweetie has the same traits and preferences. I'm afraid I will not experience this "sweet and sour" joy for many months since we have just begun this BCIS journey. Our first NOA is dated May 2 and the second is no where in sight. I am happy that you have endured this frustrating process and are enjoying the rewards. God bless you and your sweetheart.

It is so funny that your gal opens the windows.  When I visit mine she does the same thing, now in NZ and 40 degrees.  Same reason, to let in fresh air.

That's an easy fix. Pour a concrete slab! :unsure: :blink:

Hi All,

This is an interesting thread, and I am looking forward to facing these issues in the near future!

I've done a little to prepare my fiancee for life here in the US. I did buy a new bedroom suite, and got an extra firm mattress! The thing I slept on while I was in GZ felt like a block of extra firm concrete!

I live in a fairly small town in a semi-rural area, and wildlife abounds here! My fiancee is from GZ where wildlife is pretty much limited to the large parks.

It's not uncommon for me to look out into my back yard and see deer grazing on my shrubs. They're better at pruning them than I am! :blink: I've told my sweetie about watching the birds, rabbits, and the occassional armadillo, raccoon, and oppossum rummaging through the flower beds.

She seems a bit concerned about the raccoon because I described it as sort of a little panda. :D Apparently it's not in her Chinese-English dictionary. :o

Best Wishes

I live in a fairly small town in a semi-rural area, and wildlife abounds here! My fiancee is from GZ where wildlife is pretty much limited to the large parks.

Don't forget outside the hotels in GZ. :blink: :o :D

Guest Long_strider

My wife had been here in Oregon from GZ since June 22 and has had some interesting experiences.

We went to the local grocery store to purchase some items and she wanted to make sure that the receipt was correct. When we arrived home she checked all of the items against the list and discovered that they had charged us twice for eggs ($1.99 for 18). She asked that I take her back to the store. We went in and she insisted that she be the person to speak with customer service in her limited, but sufficient English. With only the receipt, she told them that she had been charged twice for the eggs. They simply said "ok" and gave her the $1.99 without any question. She was simply amazed that they did not argue with her or refuse her the refund.

She found the diaper changing stations in the womens restrooms interesting. I told her that they were also in the men's room, but I don't think she believed me.

She is surprised how people will say hello to her when she is out walking. She comments about how friendly everyone is.

You are right about the beds. I do not like the hard hard beds in China. But Yuqing seems to find the firm mattress ok. At least no major complaints.

Some concerns about the venting system in the kitchen and her cooking Chinese food. It tends to set off the smoke detector.

She enjoys the summer weather of Oregon compared to the heat of GZ. Hmm wait until January and the endless rain and grey skies...

It is interesting to see Oregon and the USA through the eyes of someone else.

Oregon is a beautiful State. I trust you live near the I-5 corridor. There is much more diversity and learning centers there. I'll be moving to the Reno/Sparks area ASP. Northern MI will be a much more difficult place to make an adjustment. :blink: :o

I am glad to hear you are happy, Tony, and I smile with enjoyment of your way of observing her, I do that too, it is so sweet to contemplate these beautiful ladies and what they do and how they do things.

She is right about American air conditioners being loud, this ancient clunker I have here in my place is driving me nuts! And it is true that China makes some really fine, quiet A/C units. I would practically worship those big tall stand-alone monoliths of comfort when I was in China in August 2001.

The best things China manufactures are not exported.