Seeking advice about Guangzhou

Our interview is next month in Guangzhou and my wife and I are getting our Beijing roast ducks in a row. First, there is the cost and time necessary for the medical exams, X-rays and vaccinations, etc. How much do those things cost, where are they best done and how long will my wife have to stay in Guangzhou to get them done? I know there are ways to get it all done in only a day or two. So, basically, how long before her interview should she get to Guangzhou for those things?

Secondly, living in China usually means not having a great deal of money around (although we are getting richer as the RMB climbs in value vis-a-vis the US dollar!). I suppose hotels in Gaungzhou ~ especially ones near the US Consulate ~ are pretty expensive. Where is a good (read: inexpensive, clean) place to stay, especially if my wife must stay there for a week to get all the stuff together?

The visa, itself, costs about 3,300 RMB and bringing along enough money is obviously necessary.

Are there any other suggestions anyone can offer?

Our interview is next month in Guangzhou and my wife and I are getting our Beijing roast ducks in a row. First, there is the cost and time necessary for the medical exams, X-rays and vaccinations, etc. How much do those things cost, where are they best done and how long will my wife have to stay in Guangzhou to get them done? I know there are ways to get it all done in only a day or two. So, basically, how long before her interview should she get to Guangzhou for those things?

Secondly, living in China usually means not having a great deal of money around (although we are getting richer as the RMB climbs in value vis-a-vis the US dollar!). I suppose hotels in Gaungzhou ~ especially ones near the US Consulate ~ are pretty expensive. Where is a good (read: inexpensive, clean) place to stay, especially if my wife must stay there for a week to get all the stuff together?

The visa, itself, costs about 3,300 RMB and bringing along enough money is obviously necessary.

Are there any other suggestions anyone can offer?

Congratulations!!!! You must be excited!!!

My sweet Fang just did all of this back in November and passed her interview and is now here living in Florida as of December 18!!!

Fang arrived in Guangzhou 5 days before interview and paid a little extra (about $10 extra for about $100 total) for all medical tests to get them done in one day. She also must pay for visa at Citic Bank before medical (I think about $100). Obviously I was worried and asked her to get to Guangzhou a little too early.

We were fortunate enough to stay at Mr. Yang's Hotel (Tian Yu Garden) around the corner from the consulate for about $27 per night. (2 bedroom, 3 beds). Mr. Yang, his wife, and sister-in-law are absolutely wonderful!!!! His wife met Fang at bus station and rode in taxi to hotel. His sister in law rode with Fang to medical. Medical results picked up following day. Interview on a Monday...passed...pick up visa on Wednesday. Hotel is clean enough, although not the "Ritz Carlton". Beds hard...but well worth it for such an important process when considering all prep and support from the Yang's. They looked over all our forms, practiced interview questions, met us in line at the consulate at 6:45 am to wish us luck!!!! Your gal will really appreciate the help, support and comfort from the Yang's (and ofcourse Mandarin conversations)

I do not know Mr.Yang's phone number off hand, but it is on this site (Tian Yu Garden) if you do a search or someone else writes in. Your gal can call and make arrangements. Please pm if you need to know anything else and good luck!!!!!!

Edited by michaelt (see edit history)

Man, this is fantastic news!!!! I'm really happy for you shyaushu. Feb. 20th, ALRIGHT!!!

We, also stayed at the Yang's and had a similar experience as Michael and many othes.

You can look in the P-3, interviw section and look in GUZ info, and there are many reports, ours included, thattalk aboutthe Yangs. Their phone number is there also.

The Yang's have been doing this a long time...they will both look over your paperwork, ask you questions and makie comments, and Mrs. Yang's sister often takes people to the medical and fast tracks them through it. And you can walk down to the Consulate and get a feel for the place ahead of time. If you can, go up to ACH on Monday and you'll be in the same room where your wife will have her interview. I really liked getting a feel of the place and seeing what and where my lil' rabbit was going ot have her interview. Even went to the consulate and had them certify my evolution of relationship letter and new intent to marry. When I went to pay the fee for those certifications I went into the empty interview room and just stood there taking it all in.

Good luck buddy, I'm sure it'll all go very smoothly for your wife. Then you can come to America, and I'll give ya some "english lessons"...redneck english that is :rolleyes:

Michael, it's good to se you post, I hope all is well in Florida.

tsap seui

Man, this is fantastic news!!!! I'm really happy for you shyaushu. Feb. 20th, ALRIGHT!!!

We, also stayed at the Yang's and had a similar experience as Michael and many othes.

You can look in the P-3, interviw section and look in GUZ info, and there are many reports, ours included, thattalk aboutthe Yangs. Their phone number is there also.

The Yang's have been doing this a long time...they will both look over your paperwork, ask you questions and makie comments, and Mrs. Yang's sister often takes people to the medical and fast tracks them through it. And you can walk down to the Consulate and get a feel for the place ahead of time. If you can, go up to ACH on Monday and you'll be in the same room where your wife will have her interview. I really liked getting a feel of the place and seeing what and where my lil' rabbit was going ot have her interview. Even went to the consulate and had them certify my evolution of relationship letter and new intent to marry. When I went to pay the fee for those certifications I went into the empty interview room and just stood there taking it all in.

Good luck buddy, I'm sure it'll all go very smoothly for your wife. Then you can come to America, and I'll give ya some "english lessons"...redneck english that is :ph34r:

Michael, it's good to se you post, I hope all is well in Florida.

tsap seui

All is well, and as our buddy Clayton has said in the past "life is grand"!!!

Thank you for asking and hope all is well with you and your lovely girl also!!!

Thanks to you both for your excellent suggestions. I will pass along what you have written to my wife. Incidentally, she may enjoy speaking Mandarin with the Yang's but since we always speak Mandarin at home it will not be much of a change. The Yang's may even appreciate her Chongqing-hua!

Unfortunately, I will not be able to attend her interview because I still have a teaching job in Henan Province and they are not generous about giving me time off for anything.

Bottom line seems to be that all of that can be accomplished in two or three days and for a few hundred dollars. All good news.

Many thanks.

Make sure you have the I-864 prepared with solid financial evidence and solid evidence of US domicile.

The visa requires the petitioner to provide I-864 and I-864 requires US domicile, and past year's IRS return.

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)

Congratulations on your news !!! :ph34r:

Also, it is nice to see they are still filling interview slots for February; I thought they were already into March by now, this is good news in all respects !!

This is exciting. Keep us apprised. ;)

Congratulations on your news !!! :blink:

Also, it is nice to see they are still filling interview slots for February; I thought they were already into March by now, this is good news in all respects !!

This is exciting. Keep us apprised. ;)

Yes good luck for sure!!

Let us know where you stayed, trying to get the Mrs. to stay at Mr. Yang's!!

Roger, did somebody say February?? :ph34r: :) ;) ;) :D ;)

I have made a Hotel Map within the walking distance of the Consulate before our interview last Dec. Not sure about the current prices but they should not be too far off. Hope it can help.

Best wishes,

Gino & Lulu

Gino

Great map!

Comes in really handy.

How did you make it?

I didn't know the Embassy is so close to the Rail station.

Nate

Many thanks to all of you for your good wishes. An interview is the BIG step. Success there means no more of this junk.

I understand the name of the hotel the Yang's have in the "Tian Yu Garden". What is it is Chinese ("Tian Yu Yuen"?). Does anyone have a phone number or an address for them? It would help my wife because she doesn't speak English and she could probably use the assistance they offer. I need to stay in Henan and work!

We really do appreciate all the encouragement and support.

Edited by shyaushu (see edit history)

Many thanks to all of you for your good wishes. An interview is the BIG step. Success there means no more of this junk.

I understand the name of the hotel the Yang's have in the "Tian Yu Garden". What is it is Chinese ("Tian Yu Yuen"?). Does anyone have a phone number or an address for them? It would help my wife because she doesn't speak English and she could probably use the assistance they offer. I need to stay in Henan and work!

Hey buddy, again, I am thrilled to see your interview date came up for you two.

The Yang's number is in the p-3/interview under info about Guangzhou. They both speak Chinese and will take your wife under their wing and guide her through the whole process. They make it very easy in this time of stress.

One of these daze, I swear I will PM you as you are an interesting person, and I've got some questions. I promise I'll try and talk in normal english and leave the Aussie/redneck tawk out. :D

Good luck on that interview, and if you can't find the Yang's number let me know, I'll look it up.

Fairdinkum, I am. B)

tsap seui

You can find Mr. Yang Jia Hua's contact info here - http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?...st&p=312486