Marriage in China

Corbin, after you get to china you will need to get all the paper work translated to Chinese and notarized to take to government office to get married, also passport size photos, your SO will need her paperwork . I just got married in Nanning last October hierd local named Roger Lin to help with this and visa . was worth every penny had no problems and when I left China had my I-130 and I-129f paper work done and ready to mail. to try and do in China on my own would of taken days to put together with Lan, with Roger only took hours.I can give you his email if you want

John

You might want to send the papers to your lady ahead of time and have her work on the Chinese translations. I sent the papers to my wife to be and she had a lawyer that her family knew take care of them. That way all we had to do was go to the Bureau and and show them what we had and sign on the dotted line. They took the photo for the little red book and the rest is history.

Of course after the actual marriage we went through a traditional Chinese wedding two days later in the old town part of Chongqing. It was interesting to say the least.

As to why to marry in China, there are any number of reasons. For us it was cheaper, helped me meet her family and friends and made her feel safe that I was seriously committing to her. We will be at three years on January 21st. I don't see divorce in the future.

However, remember if it quacks like a duck.................

we got married last Feb. in China.

Only document needed from me was Singles certificate which I got from US embassy in Beijing, copy of my passport, and get these translated into Chinese, notarized. (local notarize office)Also, need temporary residence slip.(issued by local police station), Oh, and photo of us on red background.

Her documents, and goto her city, takes only few min.

the process is simple and easy but traveling to her city was time taking.

If you are coming to China and file marriage here, I don't think you need to worry much about any documents to prepare before you come. Except for divorce documents, which I am not sure of.

BTW, after you get your marriage certificate, it is nice to get them translated and notarized THERE at her city. you will later need it for her visa process. For us, Beijing Notarize Office wouldn't do it and had us send it back to her city. More trouble. Maybe it is different between other city. It is China, anything is possible yet impossible same time. :unsure:

Edited by clearbluesky (see edit history)

Ok, I know there is a pinned thread on this very subject, but I'm still confused.

Here is what I understand or at least what I think I understand.

Papers needed.

1. Single Status paper

2. Divorce Decree (The page that states I'm divorced)

3. Birth Certificate??? not sure about this one.

4. Police Report??? not sure about this one.

5. Passport

Ok, now comes the part I get confused about.

The single status and divorce decree need to be notarized. Are these notarized copies? Also for the divorce decree should I go get one that is just the page that states I'm divorced.

Here are the steps I see that need to happen.

1. Get notarized, Single Status and Divorce Decree.

2. Go to Secretary of the State and get documents certified.

3. Send Notarized and certified documents to the Chinese Consulate in Chicago (because I live in Michigan) to be certified again.

What have I over looked, what have I got wrong? I don't want to get to China and find that I have forgotten some small item and have the whole thing derailed. :huh:

Corbin, Roger has you going in the right direction as always!!

PM me if you want know how to make the Consulate in Chicago happy!!

I got my divorce papers and my affidavitt of single status form certified from there! They are a very picky group of individuals!!

Good Luck anything you need to tell me????? B) <_< :D :huh:

I have asked several times why people get married in China. Anyone care to inform me? It seems like a lot more trouble and when divorce time comes I don't think shaking a white duck three times really works.

As to why to marry in China, there are any number of reasons.

For us it was cheaper,"Her family and college classmates paid for it" also this was done for her family and friends and made her feel safe that I was seriously committing to her. Also once my wife got here

she had a 2 year green card, SS# and a State ID card, bank account, credit cards, etc with in 2-3 weeks. and now is working on going back to college for her MBA

We have been married 2 years last Nov 25 and she has been in the States for just over 1 year.... of course she has gone back to the

Mother land 3 times in the past year to take care of some minor business problems and once to help walk our son thur the interview in GZ. durning the summer break. We didn't want him missing any school

And also to pack and have all her stuff shipped over here viva freight liner, and to rent out her apartment with a 2 year contract and 1 year

paid up front.

Ski some of us have a happy life......

but...

"once you get the hang of saying YES DEAR"

Divorce is NOT in our future.

And I NEVER get angry eggs for breakfast.

Sorry Don, but....... Roggie made me say that!!!!

I have asked several times why people get married in China. Anyone care to inform me? It seems like a lot more trouble and when divorce time comes I don't think shaking a white duck three times really works.

I have some sideways info for ya - it's a matter of FACE. Her Face, her family's FACE. Face is a big deal.

I have some sideways info for ya - it's a matter of FACE. Her Face, her family's FACE. Face is a big deal.

Yes, Face could be part of it, but making that commitment is a big thing for our ladies. It says a whole lot to them about you. It states that you are there for the long haul and not just the short term. Yes it could all end in divorce, but many of us have already been down that road and do not wish to repeat it.

But I'm not sure there's a real difference in face between getting married in China and having a big wedding banquet OR having a big wedding banquet in China and then getting married later in the US.

There are many reasons I chose to marry in China.

Most have already been voiced by others, but I will repeat as my agreement.

1) Probably the biggest reason is we start our together lives sooner. No, we can't live in the same country for a year (thank you uncle sam) but we make major purchases together. We plan where we want to live together, which house, what color to paint rooms.. all that stuff.

We use our combined incomes to help each other. Only being married during our wait would allow this.

2) Made my wife feel comfortable that I was serious, and that she understood the marriage process completely. Imagine getting married where you only understand 1/10 of whats said. The govt. person repeated all the vows in english for me, I dont think an american wedding will repeat everything in Chinese .. though maybe you could arrange it.

3) I LIKE the idea shaking the duck 3 times wont get me a divorce. Theres not a "no fault" divorce. So long as we dont cheat on each other, live apart over a year, or both agree we want a divorce, then we will stay married.

4) The I-130 visa is way better money wise and convenience wise.

Probably more, but I think the bottom line is it is a decision two people make together. What works best for you and your spouse/spouse to be is the best thing for you.

For me I am glad we got married in China, and I have never regretted the decision throughout this I-130 process.

If you marry in China with a K-1 in process you must disclose this to the US government and start the visa process again.

If this statement is to me I have no K1 in process. As a matter of fact I have no visa petition filed yet. I will be sending the I-130 as soon as I get home from my trip to get married. :angry: