Wife Received Her Grades

Yu got a C+ and B- this past term, she is just happy to complete her ESL Writing and ART class at the Community College.

Eagerly looking forward to next semester. <_<

My wife got two "A"s and a "B".

She's not happy beccuse of the "B". :roller:

Understandable by China standards.

However, considering she is in a foreign country at a foreign college taking non native speaking courses, could we have done so well at a Chinese college taking the same courses in Chinese? NOT!!!

Congratulations on a outstanding report card. :huh: :angry: :cheering:

Edited by MikeandRong (see edit history)
My wife got two "A"s and a "B".

She's not happy beccuse of the "B". :roller:

Understandable by China standards.

However, considering she is in a foreign country at a foreign college taking non native speaking courses, could we have done so well at a Chinese college taking the same courses in Chinese? NOT!!!

Congratulations on a outstanding report card. :huh: :angry: :cheering:

Verry correct Mike!!

I got CD"s at the local library and also the book "Chinese for Dummies" and can still barely say she she!! :lol:

Sometimes the profs can be prejudiced and ignorant. Last year my wife took an English class for native speakers, a skill building class in reading and writing. Even though she did all the work and loads of extra credit, she still only got a C in the class, as well as a recomondation by the old hag (she was a 60+ year old PhD) to take a lower level class because her ability was not high enough, plus she had an accent that she couldn't understand. Of course my wife ignored her compleatly and took the next higher level English class, passed with an A and her professor had no trouble understanding her at all. I recomend sites like Myspace just to make sure you have decent teachers. They have a professor grading aplication that is wonderful.

Sometimes the profs can be prejudiced and ignorant. Last year my wife took an English class for native speakers, a skill building class in reading and writing. Even though she did all the work and loads of extra credit, she still only got a C in the class, as well as a recomondation by the old hag (she was a 60+ year old PhD) to take a lower level class because her ability was not high enough, plus she had an accent that she couldn't understand. Of course my wife ignored her compleatly and took the next higher level English class, passed with an A and her professor had no trouble understanding her at all. I recomend sites like Myspace just to make sure you have decent teachers. They have a professor grading aplication that is wonderful.

Yep or: http://www.ratemyprofessors.com/index.jsp

In my humble opinion,

It's important to stress to the Chinese that grades are not the be all and end all in the States. You can still succeed if you get C's. Hey, just look at our president! Haha. But seriously, grades are really important in China and practically the only thing that people consider for advancement so it's understandable that they get so upset if there is a smudge on their record.

At Harvard, everyone gets A and B. If you are totally flunk, then you will get a C.

This is true at most of the Ivies, since you are special just to have gotten into the school.