USA USA USA USA USA USA

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

This is the story as told by my wife ¨C Maggie. I was not able to go but I got a good chuckle when I heard her tell me the details.

Maggie went down to the post office yesterday to get her US Passport. She wants to go back to China this year (so like a good Boy scout ¨C always prepared) so this is one of the first steps your wife will need to do after becoming a citizen. B)

After arriving at 8:30 am the post office she took a number and sat down. They will not start processing until 9:00 so like all women everywhere in the world she starts gossiping with others. :) One woman who was there told her that she came yesterday and waited for hours. At 2:00 in the afternoon the post office employee came out and put up a sign letting everyone know that they were full for the day. Now mind you, the post office doesn¡¯t close until 5:00 pm. ¨C Go figure. :lol:

Well around 9:30 this American lady comes in and tells everyone there she has an appointment at: 9:45 am and is expected to go in and out right away. She had said that she call the previous day and requested an appointment and the person who answered to phone acknowledge the time and date. I told Maggie it was probably the cleaning lady who picked up the phone and said ¡°sure, you got it¡­ come on down tomorrow - click¡° Maggie tells me no one budge to let her in line. She turned around and left with a huff in her voice. :boxer:

Maggie went online and read that they accept credit card, checks, money orders and of course CASH! Maggie was going to use her credit card, but being the wise ole fool that I am, :P I told her to take a check book with her just in case. Sure enough, when she gets there they tell her ¡°No credit cards¡±. The fee charge for a new passport was $100; the application itself was for $75 and $25 for processing fee. She had to make two checks out for the two branches of government.

She took her original birth certificate (translated and notarized) and her American Citizenship papers that she had recently acquired. They kept that paper and returned the rest.

When she got home she was real excited about getting an ¡°American Passport¡± book. You would have thought she was a kid getting a new toy. Of course she still has to wait 3-4 weeks for them to mail it back. They also said they would mail her citizenship paper back with it too.

The interesting part of all of this was her observation about how our government workers work. She now tells me she wants to work for any of the US government offices¡­ I wonder why? :whip:

Great story, full of happiness. Good luck to both, always.

tsap seui

If Maggie wants to work for the US government, maybe she could be a GUZ VO for a few days and throw my lil' Brer rabbit into the briar patch so she could join me in america. :)