Children at interview (K1)

yanjeff

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We intend for her son to follow her to the U.S. later.

He is 10 years old.

Does the son need to attend the interview with her?

No - he may interview at a later date (within 1 year of the mother's interview).

I'm going to guess that that's not what you wanted to here.

Yes, that helps!

I know he must come to the U.S within 1 year of her interview.

We were not sure if he would be interviewed at all.

Thanks

If you intend to process your son as a K-2 it may be advisable for him to attend the interview with his mother. Some consulates do not require a K2 to interview if they are under the age of 14. I don't know what the GZ policy is and I don't see it posted on their website. Perhaps someone here will have direct experience on the age question.

The window for getting a K-2 visa closes one year after the K-1 is issued. Also note that the K-2 must enter the US less than one year from the time the K-1 enters the US.

If you miss the K visa window it will be more difficult to get your son to the US.

As you can see from our timeline we did a K-2 Follow To Join.

If you intend to process your son as a K-2 it may be advisable for him to attend the interview with his mother. Some consulates do not require a K2 to interview if they are under the age of 14. I don't know what the GZ policy is and I don't see it posted on their website. Perhaps someone here will have direct experience on the age question.

The window for getting a K-2 visa closes one year after the K-1 is issued. Also note that the K-2 must enter the US less than one year from the time the K-1 enters the US.

If you miss the K visa window it will be more difficult to get your son to the US.

As you can see from our timeline we did a K-2 Follow To Join.

Thanks for the tip, my 15 year old daughter is going to the interview. We just had a small issue with her address, but we fixed it with an e-mail to GZU. ;)

Hmmm ... the question remains, does GZ require K2/4 children under the age of 14 to be interviewed. I have read that this is up to the consulate to set local policy in this matter. Related, if they do, what is the GZ cut off age for no interview? (Obviously they're not going to interview a 2 year old)

Does anyone know?

Hmmm ... the question remains, does GZ require K2/4 children under the age of 14 to be interviewed. I have read that this is up to the consulate to set local policy in this matter. Related, if they do, what is the GZ cut off age for no interview? (Obviously they're not going to interview a 2 year old)

Does anyone know?

Sounds like a good question to ask GUZ Speaks!

If no one has a definitive answer in the next day or so I'll post the generalized question in GUZ Speaks.

Jim... go ahead and ask... and if the child can interview at either point (with mother or later) or can only do later (if FTJ).

[FYI: I've deleted the case specific question there]

SORRY!

I did not realize that my question was "case specific".

Where can I find information about K-2?

I tried searching "CFL" forum, I get "Unfortunately your search didn't return any results. Try broadening the search parameters by searching by different keywords or altering the format of your search.

Remember to use the wildcard '*' to increase the number of matches. Apple* will match 'apple' and 'apples'."

I called DOS. The spanish lady seemed annoyed that I called. And I did not ask about my specific case. Until she asked for my case #.

She said GUZ has received it "electronically". She read his name to me and said - "He can go to the interview with her.But he must come to the U.S. within 1 year after her."

If no one has a definitive answer in the next day or so I'll post the generalized question in GUZ Speaks.

Jim... go ahead and ask... and if the child can interview at either point (with mother or later) or can only do later (if FTJ).

[FYI: I've deleted the case specific question there]

David ... will do. BTW we know that a FTJ can interview at either point. Our daughter interviewed with her Mom and Randy cites the case of the 14 year olds who went in by themselves because the guards wouldn't let an adult in with them. But I'll ask for verification.

ok.. so Jim will ask.. [thanks for clarifying]

I thought I understood that everyone attends an interview for GUZ.. the advantage of doing it with mom is that the child most likely gets no questions.. if the child goes alone, they must answer questions and frankly, it could be at a disadvantage on some level...

This is a good topic and I'm going to pin this for now... let's put the GUZ Speak link here once that is done...

Edited by DavidZixuan (see edit history)

Jeff, we sympathize with you and Yan, there's not a lot of K-2 info around. I can tell you, in our case, and I believe in general, Guangzhou is very understanding and supportive when it comes to K-2s and K-4s. They see the benefit of keeping the child with the emigrating parent and the new spouse.

The usual problem areas are:

1. Establishing the legality of the child leaving China. This is done by proof that the emigrating parent has sole custody (normally in the Chinese divorce papers) of the child OR signed permission from the birth parent remaining in China that the proposed emigration is without their objection.

2. Establishing that the child is really the child of the emigrating parent. This is usually done with the notarial birth certificate or rarely by requiring a DNA test.

3. The child is near to the age of 21. This is not a problem in your case and is quite a complex matter with different "rules" for K-2 and K-4 and non-uniform application of these rules. Several CFL families are fighting the age issue.

Bottom line is if the ten year old meets the criteria of #1 and #2 and Yan gets her visa you can be virtually 100% certain that there will be no significant problem with the K-2.

We are happy to help you on this however we can ... good luck to all three of you!