Children at interview (K1)

yanjeff

No it is not ... his visa (K-2) since it has been issued (that is put in passport) is only good for six months.

IF he wanted to delay until month 7 or 8 he should have established a separate case (blue slip for admin) and been issued the K-2 in month 1 or 2.

Recap for K-2

- Visa only good for six months when issued

- Independent of when issued he must enter the US before one year has elapsed from the K-1 entry.

Thank you ... so he has 6 months from date of issue

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am sure we will decide to have him attend the interview with her.

And I will be on the 4th floor drinking coffee or tea.

Thanks everyone.

Like I said before.

this website is great!

The mocha ain't bad. ^_^

Tea has free refills. If it takes too long beer is okay.

• 4 weeks later...

No it is not ... his visa (K-2) since it has been issued (that is put in passport) is only good for six months.

IF he wanted to delay until month 7 or 8 he should have established a separate case (blue slip for admin) and been issued the K-2 in month 1 or 2.

Recap for K-2

- Independent of when issued he must enter the US before one year has elapsed from the K-1 entry.

Does this apply for the K3 and K4 visas too? My wife is about to interview and I believe her daughter will too....next Wed, Jan 2nd. But we want the daughter to follow to join (FTJ). And we also want her to come in Aug, 7 months from this potential date of issue. So we do not want her daughter to get the visa in her passport at the same time as her mother. BUt can she interview now and just come back to get the visa put in then? Would this be considered an extension or should we ask for a blue slip for admin? We want her daughter to finish this school year at least. ( I already paid for her private school until this Aug 3rd) I suppose if she came now she could take ESL classes for the next 7 months, but I do not think this would be enough to put her into HS here without severe consequences...failing grades. This would be a lot of pressure I think.

Recap for K-2

Does this apply for the K3 and K4 visas too? My wife is about to interview and I believe her daughter will too....next Wed, Jan 2nd. But we want the daughter to follow to join (FTJ). And we also want her to come in Aug, 7 months from this potential date of issue. So we do not want her daughter to get the visa in her passport at the same time as her mother. BUt can she interview now and just come back to get the visa put in then? Would this be considered an extension or should we ask for a blue slip for admin? We want her daughter to finish this school year at least. ( I already paid for her private school until this Aug 3rd) I suppose if she came now she could take ESL classes for the next 7 months, but I do not think this would be enough to put her into HS here without severe consequences...failing grades. This would be a lot of pressure I think.

- Does this apply for the K3 and K4 visas too?

I believe so, but my experience is K2

- Can she interview now and just come back to get the visa put in then?

I believe so.

- Would this be considered an extension or should we ask for a blue slip for admin?

I expect they will issue an admin blue slip to the K4 to set up a separate case. I don't believe the concept of extension would apply at this point. You don't have to ask for a particular administrative procedure, the VO will guide your ladies. GZ is very supportive of K2/4 cases and keeping the family together.

Hopefully CFLrs with actual K4 experience will comment and verify the above.

You may be selling your local US school system short. Many have excellent programs for entering students with weak English skills, including mid-year entry. Unfortunately you're up against a real time crunch. I'd make it a major priority to speak to your local high school officials as soon as they come back from the break.

Edited by jim_julian (see edit history)
  • 2 months later...

We intend for her son to follow her to the U.S. later.

He is 10 years old.

Does the son need to attend the interview with her?

Hey Jeff, just a note on this subject!!!!

My new daughter attended with her Mother, she is coming at the same time though. They only asked her if she had been out of China before? I am surpried by the question, and she of course answered yes. She had gone to Thailand for Chinese New Year this year, the VO enjoyed her recap of the trip and looked at a couple of photos of the trip, and that was it!

Mark, feng, daughter, and 2 sons!! B)