AOS set for 11-28

Paid my lawyer to handle the AOS filed on 9-24. Got receipts back 11-12, and biometrics appointment for 11-28. Once again, I can't stress enough how important the lawyer has been. He never sends things to the wrong address, and always has Lily prepared for anything that might be required of her. I'm not above trading worry for money. BTW, Lily has employment offers from a college and 2 large international companies, but won't decide until after Christmas.

Great to hear. Congrats.

I agree with Jim. You can take many paths and get to the same place. I wouldn't equate the speed of your app necessarily to your lawyer. USCIS has placed the AOS process as their top priority. Some have had great experience with a lawyer, some not and visa versa. Many factors go into the equation. I don't think use of a lawyer should be a given or not. I think it greatly depends on the case. Ours has been done by me with absolutely no slow downs or road bumps. Each interview has lasted no more than five minutes. So I am a poster child for no lawyer. Just couldn't bring myself to pay several thousand dollars to have someone else fill out government forms. I just don't have that much expendable cash. Little ones need quite a few things. It also helped that my wife was pregnant during AOS interview. Kinda made it a slam dunk.

As others have stated the path taken should be the path you are most comfortable with.

Edited by C4Racer (see edit history)

Paid my lawyer to handle the AOS filed on 9-24. Got receipts back 11-12, and biometrics appointment for 11-28. Once again, I can't stress enough how important the lawyer has been. He never sends things to the wrong address, and always has Lily prepared for anything that might be required of her. I'm not above trading worry for money. BTW, Lily has employment offers from a college and 2 large international companies, but won't decide until after Christmas.

Does Lily have her EAD card?

Does Lily have her EAD card?

She won't get that until after the biometrics appointment.

Great to hear. Congrats.

I agree with Jim. You can take many paths and get to the same place. I wouldn't equate the speed of your app necessarily to your lawyer. USCIS has placed the AOS process as their top priority. Some have had great experience with a lawyer, some not and visa versa. Many factors go into the equation. I don't think use of a lawyer should be a given or not. I think it greatly depends on the case. Ours has been done by me with absolutely no slow downs or road bumps. Each interview has lasted no more than five minutes. So I am a poster child for no lawyer. Just couldn't bring myself to pay several thousand dollars to have someone else fill out government forms. I just don't have that much expendable cash. Little ones need quite a few things. It also helped that my wife was pregnant during AOS interview. Kinda made it a slam dunk.

As others have stated the path taken should be the path you are most comfortable with.

I agree with you C4, I have done it all myself and have gained alot of experience in the process. My wife just attented her I-751 biometrics on 11/15 it was very smooth lasting maybe 10 minutes. I was also able to sent up her account on the USCIS web site the day prior for future notifications. No bumps in the road, hoping to see that 10 year green card soon then citizenship.

Edited by BillV 8-16-2004 (see edit history)

Hey congrats guy!... :blink:

Two years ago I would never have guessed that I could have made it this far with no lawyer!...I'm feel so lucky we got the internet nowdays...VJ and the Candle forums really helped me feel I could do this by myself...If I ever got into a bad situation (ex. white slip@GUZ) I would not hesitate to seek a lawyer though!...

Again congrats and good luck with the great news on the offers to your wife!...

watch for either the interview appt. Letter, or the "Welcome" letter.

I am a bit new to this part of the forum. Does this mean some people are not required to interview for AOS? Is this done at random or has there been any attempt to understand who is likely to get interviewed and who is likely to not be?

I did see some people got a "welcome" letter, but didn't know this meant they didn't have to go to an interview before getting the green card. Is my understanding correct?

Thanks,

ILS

I am a bit new to this part of the forum. Does this mean some people are not required to interview for AOS? Is this done at random or has there been any attempt to understand who is likely to get interviewed and who is likely to not be?

I did see some people got a "welcome" letter, but didn't know this meant they didn't have to go to an interview before getting the green card. Is my understanding correct?

Thanks,

ILS

No - close, but not quite. The "Welcome" letter is the receipt, saying that you are about to get the green card in the mail. It can come either after an interview (up to 3 years after in some cases), or after you are approved without an interview. It will always come before you receive the green card.

It appears to us to be random, but I'm sure there are reasons why some sail through without an interview. In either case, the FBI background check can hit a snag (especially with a common name) - this is the most common reason for a long delay.

Thanks,

ILS

No - close, but not quite. The "Welcome" letter is the receipt, saying that you are about to get the green card in the mail. It can come either after an interview (up to 3 years after in some cases), or after you are approved without an interview. It will always come before you receive the green card.

It appears to us to be random, but I'm sure there are reasons why some sail through without an interview. In either case, the FBI background check can hit a snag (especially with a common name) - this is the most common reason for a long delay.

some folks skate through without an interview yes.

we were transfered to california about 18 months ago so unless they transfer us back or pay for a plane ticket to cally i dont think we'll have one.

my luck they will schedule an interview in california :roller:

at this point ill take it