I know I have seen this here before but I can not find it now. So here goes I am planning my first trip to meet my SO. Seems to be faster to fly into HK than any other airport. A short hop from IND to ORD to HK. The plan is for a late January to Febuary visit. I would like my SO to meet me at the airport she is from the Shekou district just south of Shenzhen city. She tells me there are some certificates that she must obtain before she can travel into HK. I do not want to put her threw hell she is very busy. I seem to remember that there was great advantages to a marriage in HK so maybe it would be worth it for her to get the papers she needs to travel there. Is there also steps that she would have to take to be married in HK? can she even? Has anyone here done this and then gone for the CR-1. For now there is no plan to marry on my first visit. If things go as well as we imgine then I am sure that I will return.

Guest Rob & Jin

It takes about a month to get married in Hk from filing so I understand. To get the entry permit for her is relatively easy, she needs to go to her local police station.

Others can give more details im sure. Good luck

It takes about a month to get married in Hk from filing so I understand. To get the entry permit for her is relatively easy, she needs to go to her local police station.

Others can give more details im sure. Good luck

Everything you said is correct but.............

Getting the permits to go into HK can be easy or hard depending on the mood of the person you are trying to get them from! My Mrs. tried to do the same thing last trip and was denied because of a small error on her part, she forgot some paper, do not remember exactly.

But if she can meet you at the airport that is a good thing. When we went to Beijing in October is was wonderful to have her there when I got off the plane and also when I left!!! :smartass:

Hello ! you can fly Asiana Air from O'hare for a reasonable fare during Chinese New Year, 1 stop(seoul), about 20 hours to Guangzhou(I paid $915 rt). You will only pass through customs 1 time(China) not (HK and China) easier. Great pilots and on time!You will have one leg of the flight about 15 /16 hours with any airline, from any US city. Welcome and good luck!

If you get married in HK then you must get K-3 in HK or if you choose CR-1/IR-1. you will still go through GUZ. Mike & Zhen

Getting married in Hong Kong is definitely the way to fly, if you can swing it.

As far as your trip, however, look into flying United to Beijing (it's actually on the way to Hong Kong) - there are many connecting flights to Shenzhen and other cities, and Beijing is an especially easy airport to navigate.

As far as your trip, however, look into flying United to Beijing (it's actually on the way to Hong Kong) - there are many connecting flights to Shenzhen and other cities, and Beijing is an especially easy airport to navigate.

All very good ideas, but..........

I want to get there quick and am not much for stops on the way there, OK coming back, but not there! You can get a decent flight out of O'Hare on United if you keep looking and are not in a big hurry! I got a direct for ORD to HK for under $850 before, it does take time and shop on united.com not a discount sight! :smartass:

Hello ! you can fly Asiana Air from O'hare for a reasonable fare during Chinese New Year, 1 stop(seoul), about 20 hours to Guangzhou(I paid $915 rt). You will only pass through customs 1 time(China) not (HK and China) easier. Great pilots and on time!You will have one leg of the flight about 15 /16 hours with any airline, from any US city. Welcome and good luck!

If you get married in HK then you must get K-3 in HK or if you choose CR-1/IR-1. you will still go through GUZ. Mike & Zhen

Not sure if the K-3 or K-1 would be good for us I have a past. About 14 months ago I had a problem with my son and his friend I tryed to handle it peacefully but it went wrong. His friend that was 19 at the time became very vocal and rude. I asked him to leave and all I got in return was F U MOTHER FER! I went after him to place him in his car for him with force and my son joined the fun. I did not hit my son but he got scatched and brused he was 1 month from being 18. The other boy I did hit in the process and regret it now. The mother of this boy called CPS and now I have a history. I never before abused my exwife or my two sons nothing before this. Normally I am an easy going person but with the stress of the on going divorce and the boy's mouth I lost it. Now I wish I had just called the police and had them remove him but at the time this did not cross my mind. Now I have a record "nice". I think this will be a flag for the K type visas or maybe all visas. I hope others here will not think badly of me for this. I have told my SO about this and she was not happy about it but, was understanding. Things are cool between my son and I and he is no longer friends with the other boy now. He really turned out to be an ass. Still I wish I had conducted myself better that day.

The HK information is located in the DCF & HK FAQ...

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?...st&p=233487

And there is a waiting period, described here:

http://www.lovetripper.com/article/wedding.../hong-kong.html

And here is a discussion not too long ago:

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=26479

You can also go to VJ (visa journey) and go to consulate reviews and look up HK! That consulate got a glowing write-up from a K-3 filer!! :cocktail:

All very good ideas, but..........

I want to get there quick and am not much for stops on the way there, OK coming back, but not there! You can get a decent flight out of O'Hare on United if you keep looking and are not in a big hurry! I got a direct for ORD to HK for under $850 before, it does take time and shop on united.com not a discount sight! :lol:

FlyChina.com and United.com were running neck and neck on the prices. Ended up using United.com because I could save a hundred dollars, but there were days when FlyChina.com was a hundred to two hundred cheaper. My final cost for this trip was $1098.16 which was $200 to $500 cheaper than most of the discount places. I did notice when I was picking my seats that both international flights where almost completely filled. :lol:

Small note: My flight starts in Detroit Metro (DTW) then goes to Chicago (ORD) and onto Hong Kong (HKG) 17hrs flight time and one hour lay over in ORD.

I got a direct for ORD to HK for under $850 before, it does take time and shop on united.com not a discount sight! :lol:

Does that include taxes & fees ? The lowest I found on a direct flight on United website was $1,124 (incl taxes) to HK. What day of the week did you use?

You have to ply with the days of the week and it can even vary from one week to the other week. I would have to say that yes that included the fees and taxes because that is how United displays their prices. Total dollar amount, not before tax and fee amount.

By the way just one day can mean as much as $200 if not more.

Sorry to ask again but, do others here think that my record will be a problem?

USCIS will have an answer for you soon enough - in the meantime, you might check on Visa Journey - www.visajourney.com - to see if they have had anyone with an incident like that. We have not.