to anyone having a sent down girl

tell the consulate all that you know of this situation. they seem to give sent down girls an easier time getting a visa. we had a very hard time getting our visa and were refused the first time because she was a communist. when i wrote them and told them about her situation everything went very fast but she had to fill out more papers. she took them there on a monday. she went back wednesday for her interview which was very easy with no questions asked, only polite conversation. she went back friday and got her visa.

2019 redux is here - http://candleforlove.com/forums/topic/28090-to-anyone-having-a-sent-down-girl/?p=641906

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

tell the consulate all that you know of this situation. they seem to give sent down girls an easier time getting a visa. we had a very hard time getting our visa and were refused the first time because she was a communist. when i wrote them and told them about her situation everything went very fast but she had to fill out more papers. she took them there on a monday. she went back wednesday for her interview which was very easy with no questions asked, only polite conversation. she went back friday and got her visa.

Can you tell me more as to what "sent down girl" means?

Can you tell me more as to what "sent down girl" means?

a sent down girl is a young teenage girl who was sent away from home to live in very hard conditions and sometimes extremely horrible conditions as my fiancee did. they were sent down because their parents were considered enemies of the chinese people. this was because at sometime in there life they had either fought the communists or made public statements against communism. the girl did nothing wrong to make them do this.

a sent down girl is a young teenage girl who was sent away from home to live in very hard conditions and sometimes extremely horrible conditions as my fiancee did. they were sent down because their parents were considered enemies of the chinese people. this was because at sometime in there life they had either fought the communists or made public statements against communism. the girl did nothing wrong to make them do this.

Thank you for answering Michael's question, and what a tough life she must of had. I hope you make her life everything you and she dreamed of, and good luck! :D :blink:

Thank you for answering Michael's question, and what a tough life she must of had. I hope you make her life everything you and she dreamed of, and good luck! :D :blink:

My words exactly and I thank you too for answering. It makes me very happy to hear that she's got a good guy in her life now, and her life will change significantly for the better. (you BETTER make that happen!!!!...I know you will) : )

Edited by michaelt (see edit history)

i have been watching the movie. it says that they voluteered for this. my wife certainly did not and neither did any of the six other girls who were with her. she was not allowed to attend high school. she and her mother went to ask about this. the superintendent was very mean to them and told them that they were enemies of the chinese people and that their family had a very bad history of mistreating the chinese. her grandfather owned a vegetable oil factory which was seized from him when the communists took over the country. her father was an officer in general chiang kai shek's army. but she was only 16 and had nothing to do with these things that took place in the forties. he told her she would be sent to a tree farm in guizhou province.

i have been watching the movie. it says that they voluteered for this. my wife certainly did not and neither did any of the six other girls who were with her. she was not allowed to attend high school. she and her mother went to ask about this. the superintendent was very mean to them and told them that they were enemies of the chinese people and that their family had a very bad history of mistreating the chinese. her grandfather owned a vegetable oil factory which was seized from him when the communists took over the country. her father was an officer in general chiang kai shek's army. but she was only 16 and had nothing to do with these things that took place in the forties. he told her she would be sent to a tree farm in guizhou province.

Many children were sent away during Mao's cultural revolution. Some for their family history, others just because Mao taught that more could be learned from the peasants in the country than from the university.

I know my wife went "away to school in the country" but I don't believe this is the same as a "sent down girl".

My wife gave me a book to read while I was in China, named "Wild Swans: Three Daughters of China" by Jung Chang.

It is a good story, and is the true life events of a woman, her mother, and her grandmother. This 3 generations span from before Japanese invasion until current times (more or less).

In this the family is a hero of the party, and a disgrace to the party at different times. I believe this is a true and proper description of the times, and perhaps will give you an understanding of what went on.

I guess your phrase "sent down woman" must mean one who's family is punished by the state? I think almost every child could claim this in one way or another, though I am sure the range of degree is very large.

Best wishes for you. History can be bleak, but the future is always as bright as you wish to make it.

i just received today the movie "Xiu Xiu the sent down girl. i have not watched it yet but i see it is banned in china. i got it from the internet in case anyone would like to purchase it. i do not know if i can tell where i got it but use google and you will find it.

You had to get this off the internet, who is the distributor? I would like to check it out some time? :blink:

at Amazon

Directed by Joan Chen from an award-winning novella banned in China because of political and sexual content, "Xiu Xiu: The Sent Down Girl" is a powerful love story. Between 1967 and 1976, nearly 8 million Chinese youths were "sent down" for specialized training to the remotest corners of the country. Before being sent down, the young and beautiful Xiu Xiu dreams of becoming a horse trainer in the wide open plains of Tibet, far away from her busy city home. Her journey begins in a training camp in the isolated plains with a solitary and mysterious man. Slowly, Xiu Xiu discovers that she is unlikely to ever see her home again without a wealthy sponsor. Her world becomes a horrifying cage, where "patrons" promise her escape in exchange for her sexual compromise. This is one girl's story and a compassionate deed that inspired one special man and everyone who hears her tale.

Many people of this generation had to go work on the farms in the countryside. Not just people considered to be enemies of the state. It was a government program where Mao thought it would be good for people to learn from the farmers. My wife had to go for two years. It was indeed difficult. Filthy conditions and not enough to eat. It toughened her though. She is not afraid of hard work or getting her hands dirty.