removal of conditions and travel

hello... how have you all been? anyone still here who remembers me? ... it's been only forever since i last posted... =)

things have been going relatively well for us... the biggest news (which i don't think i mentioned before) was the arrival of our son Isaac last year, Nov 30. yep... it's been that long, he's almost one yr now. life has really been great, we just can't get enough of our little kid. the good and fun times sure out weigh the "bad". suppose it helps given the fact he is smiling 99.999% of the time.

i'll try to post some pics or update my profile sometime so you can see the little dude...

now for *real* question...

is it safe to travel after we send in the removal of conditions? i know there is a biometrics thing, but i don't know how/when that gets scheduled?

what about the i-751 "approval"? is there an interview?

edith and i would like to travel to china early next year, but that is also right in the time frame we need to file the i-751. we just don't know if traveling is a good idea.

any experience/advice anyone?

thanks

ryan

Edited by nousername (see edit history)

When you file, 2 to 6 weeks later, they will send you an extension letter, extending the grean card for a year. You are fine to travel with that letter. As far as the biometrics and/or interview, i think it depends on how long you are gone. If you are gone for just a few weeks, I wouldn't think it would be a problem. Hopefully they would give you a few weeks notice before the interview.

We just filed in September, and 2 weeks ago got the extension letter... I have heard of people filing and then moving overseas, while the I-751 was still pending... That's what we might end up doing. BUT, if we don't get the biometrics done in time, or need an interview, we would have to fly back

Travel will be no problem as long as you have the extension letter. Biometrics are not a big problem either. I have heard others have an issue with the biometric appointment take their letter to the biometrics office and get it done while they wait.

We will have to travel during this time as we must go back to GUZ to be at my stepson's interview.

Also, I have yet to hear of anyone having an interview for their I-751. I know it's possible, since it states in the instructions you could get one. I just haven't heard of it happening with anyone, yet. You should get at least a month notice if they decide to give you one.

Edited by C4Racer (see edit history)

When you file, 2 to 6 weeks later, they will send you an extension letter, extending the grean card for a year. You are fine to travel with that letter.

do you need the extension letter to travel while the i-751 is pending? does the extension letter take the place of the 2yr green card?

if the 2yr has not yet expired, the extension letter shouldn't matter, right?

... those may sound like a stupid questions, but i never want to take any chance with the uscis.

we plan on filing 90 days before the card expires, and the trip will certainly be shorter than that.

YES, the Notice of Action letter issued for the I-751 clearly states it extends the green-card for 1 year, that includes re-entry from a trip, and work privilege.

Carry the NOA letter, and expired green card together.