A topic my wife wanted me to post...

Originally, my wife wanted [prior to arrival, two years ago] to go to english classes... (she could not really speak english upon arrival). she did that off and on for a few months and then decided she needed to stay busier by working.

She has had three jobs so far, which has been good to expose her to different industries and improved her vocabulary, and is now trying to open her own business.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wife came here and sat idle for a month and a half, and got a temp job at local public school for a few weeks while I-94 was still valid, after that took summer off and waited for green-card. Now is attending college, and working the temp job at the public school, (Started college before green-card, and went back to the temp job after getting the green-card)

Originally, my wife wanted [prior to arrival, two years ago] to go to english classes... (she could not really speak english upon arrival). she did that off and on for a few months and then decided she needed to stay busier by working.

She has had three jobs so far, which has been good to expose her to different industries and improved her vocabulary, and is now trying to open her own business.

That business wouldn't be selling cars would it? :)

That business wouldn't be selling cars would it? :D

:P

I have to say that the really funny issue about that car incident is that she was not directly trying to talk him down.. she just wouldn't accept a purchase number which had bad luck and wanted the flyer miles from using a credit card...

He just couldn't get past her concrete wall of expectation and needs B) and that is why I'll probably be mopping the floors at any business she has :threeques:

After your fiancee/wife arrived in the US, what were her plans? Did she want to stay home and be a housewife? Did she want to go to school or get a job? If she got a job, what kind of job did she get?

In Shanghai, my wife had a convenient life; she had a stable job at a law firm, lived with her family and owned a car. Now that she's here in the US she is trying to build that life again and plans to get a job (probably doing admin) and go through the painstaking processes at DMV so that she can commute to work when she gets a job. Afterwards we will see where the future takes us.

Lao Po say "I no like housewife. I find work to help you."

In the meantime, she's enrolled in ESOL 5 days a week. I hope in the future to start an import-export business for her selling clothes since it's her forte. A brick and mortar, along with Ebay, since I have much experience selling online.

You will be comfortable with the import process - like the visa process - pay money and jump through hoops

Amen to that! : )

Ping, really wants to do something. We are not sure yet what will work out best. She has done trading and customs agent in china. Plus, she managed a coffee & tea shop. She also did some marketing and training for a hotel. English teacher in high school. We are close to long beach port, so maybe something there. What will work out best for her? She has also been training for Taichi, so maybe teach that. We do not know yet, what to do? She will not come over till mid november. We will see than. She can read and write english fairly well.

Good luck Tuesday my friend!

My wife hasn't been able to find a job in the four years she's been here but I feel she is quite happy at being a housewife. She does a really good job at home and there's not many places in this one-horse town to find a job anyways.

But, TY, she is not only a housewife. She is a writer who published a well received book! And I believe there are more to come in near future. :whistling:

My wife started looking for a job as soon as she was legally able. 3 months after she got here, she started volunteering at a school. A month later, she was hired as a registrar. Over the summer, she started a Chinese class for kids.

She's a really hard worker, so she wouldn't be able to stand staying at home...

Guest ShaQuaNew

After your fiancee/wife arrived in the US, what were her plans? Did she want to stay home and be a housewife? Did she want to go to school or get a job? If she got a job, what kind of job did she get?

Lan has been working part time jobs for the last several months. She enjoys being out and interracting with the public. We have nearly completed tranferring Lan's High School and University records here to the US. Unfortunately, Chinese degrees do not directly transfer to US schools. Lan therefore must take several courses here to be a accredited. She hopes to start at the local university next semester.

Arriving in May-07, we took a couple of months for adjustment. Lili was set on working in Aug. She interviewed a couple of times for some mid level business jobs but soon found she needed to enhance her skills more. We live in a small town, so the job market is somewhat limited. Worked one day in a Chinese restaurant, but that did not last long. She has a degree from China and taught English there. After some summer ESL classes at the local Community College, we decided it would be best for her to take 3 classes at the college: English 101 Writing, Intro to Computing, and Sociology. This has been plenty to keep her busy. In all it has been a very good choice to speed up her language and social skills. The small college atmosphere has been perfect for her. Writing has pushed the limit of her language skills;learning computer terminology, which does not always translate so easily, is dramatically enhancing her computer skills; and Sociology has given her a whole new way of looking at the world she had not been exposed to. We are in the process of getting transcripts transferred so she can continue further her education at a University and eventually a more satisfying job/career.

Edited by cbn (see edit history)

In about 2 months my wife will be getting her BS in accounting Before this she got a AS in Business and an AAS in IT. These are on top of her chinese degree in Petro products. So she has 4 degrees and this month she has had 14 interviews for jobs with no luck. Her grades are high but her English is very accented. A friend who has a SO in China who will be coming soon, has offered to help both of them with English since he used to teach it. So I guess she should have taken English first like I said. But she is in such a rush.

Her first job was at a POLO outlet and before she left them to go to school in Denver, they wanted her to become a manager. They had many foriegn customers and she said they understand her well and she, them.

My wife has been here in America now for about two years now, we just submitted her I-751 and got her one-year extension and now waiting for her biometrics appointment. She went to work not because she had to but because she wanted to. After attending a mostly Hispanic ESL class she had some frustration and difficulty with learning English. She then found a job working at a private college in the kitchen now going on a year and a half. This was quite an adjustment for her since the kitchen prepares meals for vegetarians and vegans, she was always use to cooking with fish and meats especially for flavor. She since has learned to prepare many dishes lasagna, couscous, frittata, enchiladas along with introducing her Chinese cooking, she loves to bake now something she never did in China baking banana nut bread, puff pastries, egg tarts, cookies, and she is looking forward to pumpkin pie this weekend. Her English has improve greatly they had a private tutor teaching and working with her on and off, and working everyday in an all English speaking environment, she is now answering the phone, reading menu's etc. She enjoys walking to and from work since the college is close by and sets her own hours. Most of the money she has earned has gone into furnishings for our home and sending it to her family.

Edited by BillV 8-16-2004 (see edit history)

My wife has been here in America now for about two years now, we just submitted her I-751 and got her one-year extension and now waiting for her biometrics appointment. She went to work not because she had to but because she wanted to. After attending a mostly Hispanic ESL class she had some frustration and difficulty with learning English. She then found a job working at a private college in the kitchen now going on a year and a half. This was quite an adjustment for her since the kitchen prepares meals for vegetarians and vegans, she was always use to cooking with fish and meats especially for flavor. She since has learned to prepare many dishes lasagna, couscous, frittata, enchiladas along with introducing her Chinese cooking, she loves to bake now something she never did in China baking banana nut bread, puff pastries, egg tarts, cookies, and she is looking forward to pumpkin pie this weekend. Her English has improve greatly they had a private tutor teaching and working with her on and off, and working everyday in an all English speaking environment, she is now answering the phone, reading menu's etc. She enjoys walking to and from work since the college is close by and sets her own hours. Most of the money she has earned has gone into furnishings for our home and sending it to her family.

I hope to saying the same here someday!! Thank you for sharing.