Hello all.

I have a quick and maybe a stupid question. :roller:

It has been so long since i has used MS-DOS.

For all the computer guys.

What is the command to change from drive to drive.

You know like changing from drive C to drive F.

just this:

F:

[Enter]

Hello all.

I have a quick and maybe a stupid question. :roller:

It has been so long since i has used MS-DOS.

For all the computer guys.

What is the command to change from drive to drive.

You know like changing from drive C to drive F.

Thanks guys!! I'm good to go now!!

C: changes to the C drive

F: changes to the F drive

CD changes directories. I.E.

C:\ cd temp

makes the current directory

C:\temp

-James

Great answer James!

My first thought was

F: [press enter]

My second thought was

http://i3.tinypic.com/6ey13so.jpg

:roller:

DOS was cool!... :)

DOS 3.1; DOS 6.0...........

1983 was a good year.

DOS 2.0 on a 5.25" disk that could either be 180kB or 360kB

DOS 2.0 actually had externally run programs that were stored in the C:\DOS directory.

It wasn't until late 1984 that 3.1 was released.

DOS was cool!... :)

1983 was a good year.

DOS 2.0 actually had externally run programs that were stored in the C:\DOS directory.

You are all SO nerdy!!

My favorite type of people ;)

but okay, so you can show off your DOS credentials, how about before that?

I worked on a z-80 running cpm, and one called a "commador pet" but Iit could only be programmed in its rom basic, and the programs recorded onto a cassett tape recorder.

If you remember these, what language did you use?

I have to admit being a lazy programmer in that I used C, the z-80 assembler was too much trouble for my weak mind.

Oh, right when DOS became popular on the IBM-pc I had huge political battles with a guy who wanted the company to adopt the heath/zenith pc. It ran cpm, and the guy swore that DOS and the IBM-pc were junk and would never surpass the zenith.

Later, I had to argue with more people when I told them this new computer from a company named Apple was the best thing for desktop publishing. You see they had basically stolen the o/s and interface from the xerox (ooh memory lost maybe xerox star?) and put it into the apple lisa (remember that one?) Later this little company made a small compact version of their lisa and named it Macintosh.

Fun memories :))

DOS was cool!... :P

1983 was a good year.

You are all SO nerdy!!

My favorite type of people :P

I worked on a z-80 running cpm, and one called a "commador pet" but Iit could only be programmed in its rom basic, and the programs recorded onto a cassett tape recorder.

I have to admit being a lazy programmer in that I used C, the z-80 assembler was too much trouble for my weak mind.

Oh, right when DOS became popular on the IBM-pc I had huge political battles with a guy who wanted the company to adopt the heath/zenith pc. It ran cpm, and the guy swore that DOS and the IBM-pc were junk and would never surpass the zenith.

Later, I had to argue with more people when I told them this new computer from a company named Apple was the best thing for desktop publishing. You see they had basically stolen the o/s and interface from the xerox (ooh memory lost maybe xerox star?) and put it into the apple lisa (remember that one?) Later this little company made a small compact version of their lisa and named it Macintosh.

Fun memories :P)

TI-99/4A that had a 8086 processor. a 16 bit processor like the IBM PC/XT but the TI only had a 8 bit bus.

I programmed on my TI using the BASIC that was on the ROM chip.

For a science fair project I had my computer play the "Star Spangled Banner" using its MIDI port and the built-in speaker.

That took forever (a month)

Then of course my CPM days which didn't last long as PC-DOS licensed to IBM to run their IBM PC/XT replaced it.

Languages I've programmed in:

BASIC

BATCH programming

COBOL

luckily I avoided the Fortran classes a very good friend took.

some C

VB 6

ASP.NET

That's about the time I migrated over to the IT infrastructure and support arena.

A good programmer friend of mine tries a couple times a year to get me to take a programmer job at his company in Dallas.

My latest reason is I have to stay at the residence I've put down on all this K1 paperwork.

1983 was a good year.

You are all SO nerdy!!

My favorite type of people :P

Fun memories :))

Mine was an Atari 800 running Basic and using a cassette too!

My ex thought we bought it for the games!!! :P

1983 was a good year.

You are all SO nerdy!!

My favorite type of people :blink:

Fun memories :o)

My first computer was a S-100 bus CP/M system running a Z80B at 4Mhz. It had 64k of static ram, a Soroc terminal and dual 8" Persci voice coil drive floppy disks. Quite the little hot rod. I designed the mother board in conjunction with the engineer from the second computer store in Orange County (Anaheim) CA. I was a hardware cat then, but I caught the software 'bug' BIG TIME and it turned into a career. This was 1976-1977.

Then I ended up giving Bill Gates the finger at Comdex 1982, but that is another story...

-James

I used Seattle DOS 1.0 before Bill Gates & Paul Allen bought the company and renamed it Microsoft.

Microsoft existed long before then...

Gates moved it back to Seattle after Gary Kildall (Digital Research) decided to fly his private plane instead of meet with the IBM people about their new PC. IBM really wanted CP/M-86.

Microsoft started in Gate's apartment at Harvard and was named Micro-Soft at the time. He moved the company to Albuquerque to work with MITS (Altair 8800) until he made the deal with Radio Shack for the TRS-80 basic interpreter. Radio Shack royalties were the real engine of Microsoft's early growth, giving Gates the cash to purchase Seattle DOS at a critical time.

This article is pretty close to correct...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Altair_8800

-James