Pretty Package

Hi Everyone,

I have a question or two, maybe three: How important is it to put together a neat, pretty little package for gov?

I did this using the folders and Acco prong fasteners, and those big paper clips decribed here on the forum. I had everything seperated and marked for gov to have an easy time of going through everything.

Anyway I made a mistake on my I-129F app. and gov sent everything back to me along with a blue slip.

They disasembled the whole package, kept or put the folders, Acco fasteners, and paper clips into file 13.

I spent a lot of time and effort putting this package together, and now it is one big pile of loose printed paper. I feel like correcting my I-129F app. and resend everything back to them as it is now.

Has this ever happened to anyone else here? If so what did you do before resubmitting your package?

Your comments are welcomed.

Guest ShaQuaNew

I figure it's best to let them punch their own holes, and put it in their files the way they want to.

I've always submitted a pile of paper, organized by manila folders or tabs.

I agree with Randy. Try as you may to do their work for them, they likely want to punch their own holes. Still, put everything in order and number each and every page. Put a cover sheet on the very top that explains the content; e.g.,

Page 1-2: I-129F Petition

Page 3-5: Evidence of bonafide relationship; receipts, photos, etc.

Page 6: Petitioners Birth Certificate

Keep in mind that my listed order may be out of whack, but it's there just to give you an idea that the cover sheet should list all the content of you package in the order requested on the I-129F, and other accompanying forms. Corroborating evidence should follow the form in sequence.

Guest Rob & Jin

I figure it's best to let them punch their own holes, and put it in their files the way they want to.

I've always submitted a pile of paper, organized by manila folders or tabs.

I agree with Randy. Try as you may to do their work for them, they likely want to punch their own holes. Still, put everything in order and number each and every page. Put a cover sheet on the very top that explains the content; e.g.,

Page 1-2: I-129F Petition

Page 3-5: Evidence of bonafide relationship; receipts, photos, etc.

Page 6: Petitioners Birth Certificate

Keep in mind that my listed order may be out of whack, but it's there just to give you an idea that the cover sheet should list all the content of you package in the order requested on the I-129F, and other accompanying forms. Corroborating evidence should follow the form in sequence.

I agree, make it easy for them, cover sheets and tabs, but i did punch 2 holes in the top, for the folders, hope they wont hold that against me, haha

I've always submitted a [pile] of paper, organized by manila folders or tabs.

Kilopee¡­¡­.I think Randy is jerking you a little here, with his Texas tongue, planted firmly in his right cheek; now that he has his beautiful Lao Po, firmly at his side, here in the USA !! :ph34r: :huh:

I doubt seriously that back in February 2005, when he filed his I-129f, and some three months or so before he even joined CFL, he just submitted ¡°a pile of paper,¡± and then successfully had his P-2 in-hand, about 45 days later !!!! ;) :D

Look, human nature being what it is, these guys/gals who look at a jillion of these folders every, day, week, month, year, will like and appreciate a neat and organized case file to work with.

They did not put together those instructions for formatting one¡¯s file, just to fill up space on their website. No, they have meetings and they get feedback from field/service center staff, saying ¡°why don¡¯t you tell these guys to do it this way - or that way !!¡±

The case file that is [complete], is organized, has a detailed table of contents, is top-hole punched, (in the Federal way) and has bottom tabs, (because that is the way a top bound file opens up) has been spell checked, is easy and logical to read, is adequately labeled on the outside cover, will be appreciated and much better received and assimilated, than a piece s--t !!! The reader/reviewer/investigator, will be in a much better frame of mind, as he/she peruses the file and makes the appropriate notes/comments before sending it on to the next person in the chain.

Maybe I have never specifically reviewed an I-129f or an I-130 package; however, I have, in the past 30+ years, reviewed my own jillion investigative case files, and my hand always went first for the one that was obviously put together by someone who cared, rather than for the file that was obviously not well done.

Moreover, within just a few minutes of looking through the contents and forming the instant impression of how it was organized and presented, my mind was ¡®set¡®, as to how hard I was going to have to work to make sense of what was before me and how I was going to follow through. :o

Guest ShaQuaNew

What Roger said ... plus remember ...

The definition of victory is getting the visa!

not ...

- getting annoyed/angry

- "I'll show them"

- etc, etc

:ph34r:

This statement deserves more credence than just about anything you might read on this site. It's so easy to let your emotions get the best of you in this process; and why not, what you're doing involves the most important things in your life. The fight is hard, and it's winnable. There are good people here to help you through.

good luck

I followed the instuction they had on their webste and put everything together in a neat and orderly fashion. we had no problems and my wife is now here with me....Best of luck :D

I followed the instuction they had on their webste and put everything together in a neat and orderly fashion. we had no problems and my wife is now here with me....Best of luck :)

Can you share with me ,where on their website would interview paper- work prep be? I read your post and thought I'd take a look, and have spent the last half hour looking, and can not find any of their instructions on how to organize paperwork for interview. I would be grateful if you could direct me?

I followed the instuction they had on their webste and put everything together in a neat and orderly fashion. we had no problems and my wife is now here with me....Best of luck :)

Can you share with me ,where on their website would interview paper- work prep be? I read your post and thought I'd take a look, and have spent the last half hour looking, and can not find any of their instructions on how to organize paperwork for interview. I would be grateful if you could direct me?

Michael,

I am not sure if there are proper instructions for the Interview paperwork, but below is what is posted on USCIS's web site for application paperwork assembly.

These are the instructions I followed when I sent in my I-129F.

Clayton

General Tips on Assembling Applications for Mailing

Mark both the envelope and the cover letter as to the nature of the submission. Example: ORIGINAL SUBMISSION - BRIEF FOR AN APPEAL - RESPONSE TO REQUEST FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION - etc.

Use the appropriate mailing address and mark both the envelope and the cover letter as to the form type. Example: I-129; I-130; I-690; I-698, etc.

Provide both the receipt notice number and the A-Number as an identifier, if they are available.

If the packet is being resubmitted in response to a REQUEST FOR ADDITIONAL EVIDENCE (RFE), please place the notice requesting the additional evidence/information on the top of the packet. Also, please use the special mailing envelope provided.

If evidence is being submitted in support of a previously filed appeal or motion, a cover letter stating "BRIEF FOR APPEAL", etc., should be placed on top of the packet.

In preparing your packet, please take note of the following:

Do not use binders or folders that cannot be easily disassembled.

Use ACCO fasteners to hold together thick or bulky applications or petitions. Two-hole punching the top of the material for easy placement in the file is appreciated.

The use of tabs assist in locating items listed as attachments. The tabs should be placed on the bottom and not the side for ease in filing.

Avoid using heavy-duty staples; instead use ACCO fasteners or heavy clips.

Avoid submitting originals unless specifically required. Avoid submitting oversized documentation when possible.

If you are sending more than one case in an envelope, clearly separate the cases by rubber band or clip fasteners.A form G-28 is not acceptable unless signed by the authorized representative and the petitioner (re: petitions) or the applicant (re: applications). Facsimile signature stamps are acceptable for the signature of the representatives. However, applicants/petitioners must live sign the initial Form G-28 submitted with the application/petition. Any subsequent Form G-28 relating to the same case may be a photocopy of the original, which should be already attached to the relating case.

Send copies of any prior approval notices with any new requests for extensions of stay, change of status or amended petitions.

Keep copies of all submissions. Don't assume the officer will have access to a prior file or record. Submit as complete a packet as possible so the case can be adjudicated from what you submit. Submit a complete packet of information for each petition or application. If officers have to review prior files or records, the adjudication of the case can be delayed substantially.

Be sure to complete all pertinent items on the petition or application. Ensure all entries on the forms are legible. Note the appropriate consulate, embassy, or a request to adjust status on the petition. Do note enter "N/A" when "None" is appropriate.

If you believe your situation to be unique, explain it fully in an attachment to the packet, not as a cover letter.

Please submit certified translations for all foreign language documents. The translator must certify that s/he is competent to translate and that the translation is accurate.

The certification format should include the certifier's name, signature, address, and date of certification. A suggested format is:

Certification by Translator

I [typed name], certify that I am fluent (conversant) in the English and ________ languages, and that the above/attached document is an accurate translation of the document attached entitled ______________________________.

Signature_________________________________

Date Typed Name

Address

USCIS no longer routinely requires submission of original documents or "certified copies." Instead, ordinary legible photocopies of such documents (including naturalization certificates and alien registration cards) will be acceptable for initial filing and approval of petitions and applications.

At the discretion of the officer, original documents may still be required in individual cases. Please be advised that USCIS no longer returns original documents submitted with the exception of Certificates of Naturalization, Forms I-551, Permanent Resident Card, Forms I-94, Arrival/Departure Document, valid passports, or those specifically requested by the officer. Such documents will be returned when they are no longer needed.

Reminder: The best way to locate records is through the receipt number and/or the A-Number. Always provide this information whenever possible. If you don't know the A-Number, provide a COMPLETE name and date of birth. ALSO: Provide ANY AND ALL names used by the individual, including aliases, maiden names, names used when originally admitted to the United States, etc. Providing this information is extremely helpful and speeds up processing time.

DUPLICATE FILINGS (without fee): Cases will be accepted as a duplicate filing only when USCIS has specifically requested that a duplicate be filed. In such a case be sure to submit the receipt number of original filing or any copies of notices received from USCIS on the first filing when submitting a duplicate petition or application.

The address block on the forms is the data field captured for all of our mailings. Consistent with the limitations on the number of characters per line (a maximum of 32) and the total numbers of lines (4) in that field, whatever is in the block will become the mailing address used by the system. The data in these fields is entered exactly as indicated on the forms. Please include internal routing symbols in the address block, especially for large organizations. It is better to abbreviate the name of the organization and have space for the routing codes than to fully spell out the name and have notices sit in the organization's mailroom.

Recognized authorities: Many I-129 petitions filed with evidence of the beneficiary's education or accomplishments include documentation submitted by various authorities. For example, petitions for artists and entertainers may incude evidence the beneficiary has received an award or other recognition of achievement. Petitions for individuals employed in a specialty occupation may include evidence the beneficiary belongs to a professional organization. When an individual's awards or membership is used to support a petition, evidence establishing the reputation of that organization must also be submitted. Examples of the type of evidence needed includes the following: the size and standing of the organization or the organization's requirements for membership and any other documentation which would establish the reputation of that organization.

When an opinion from a recognized authority is submitted, the opinion should state: the writer's qualifications as an expert; the writer's experience giving such opinions, citing specific instances where past opinions have been accepted as authoritiative and by whom; how the conclusions were reached; and the basis for the conclusions, including copies or citations of any research material used.

Any application or petition for an individual currently in F-1 status needs to include evidence the student has been maintaining status and has been authorized employment if applicable. Such evidence usually can be satisfied by submitting the latest Form I-20AB/I-20ID and a copy of the employment authorization card.

Edited by clayton2103 (see edit history)

Michael,

I am not sure if there are proper instructions for the Interview paperwork, but below is what is posted on USCIS's web site for application paperwork assembly.

These are the instructions I followed when I sent in my I-129F.

Clayton

General Tips on Assembling Applications for Mailing

Mark both the envelope and the cover letter as to the nature of the submission. Example: ORIGINAL SUBMISSION - BRIEF FOR AN APPEAL - RESPONSE TO REQUEST FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION - etc.

Use the appropriate mailing address and mark both the envelope and the cover letter as to the form type. Example: I-129; I-130; I-690; I-698, etc.

Provide both the receipt notice number and the A-Number as an identifier, if they are available.

If the packet is being resubmitted in response to a REQUEST FOR ADDITIONAL EVIDENCE (RFE), please place the notice requesting the additional evidence/information on the top of the packet. Also, please use the special mailing envelope provided.

If evidence is being submitted in support of a previously filed appeal or motion, a cover letter stating "BRIEF FOR APPEAL", etc., should be placed on top of the packet.

In preparing your packet, please take note of the following:

Do not use binders or folders that cannot be easily disassembled.

Use ACCO fasteners to hold together thick or bulky applications or petitions. Two-hole punching the top of the material for easy placement in the file is appreciated.

The use of tabs assist in locating items listed as attachments. The tabs should be placed on the bottom and not the side for ease in filing.

Avoid using heavy-duty staples; instead use ACCO fasteners or heavy clips.

Avoid submitting originals unless specifically required. Avoid submitting oversized documentation when possible.

If you are sending more than one case in an envelope, clearly separate the cases by rubber band or clip fasteners.A form G-28 is not acceptable unless signed by the authorized representative and the petitioner (re: petitions) or the applicant (re: applications). Facsimile signature stamps are acceptable for the signature of the representatives. However, applicants/petitioners must live sign the initial Form G-28 submitted with the application/petition. Any subsequent Form G-28 relating to the same case may be a photocopy of the original, which should be already attached to the relating case.

Send copies of any prior approval notices with any new requests for extensions of stay, change of status or amended petitions.

Keep copies of all submissions. Don't assume the officer will have access to a prior file or record. Submit as complete a packet as possible so the case can be adjudicated from what you submit. Submit a complete packet of information for each petition or application. If officers have to review prior files or records, the adjudication of the case can be delayed substantially.

Be sure to complete all pertinent items on the petition or application. Ensure all entries on the forms are legible. Note the appropriate consulate, embassy, or a request to adjust status on the petition. Do note enter "N/A" when "None" is appropriate.

If you believe your situation to be unique, explain it fully in an attachment to the packet, not as a cover letter.

Please submit certified translations for all foreign language documents. The translator must certify that s/he is competent to translate and that the translation is accurate.

The certification format should include the certifier's name, signature, address, and date of certification. A suggested format is:

Certification by Translator

I [typed name], certify that I am fluent (conversant) in the English and ________ languages, and that the above/attached document is an accurate translation of the document attached entitled ______________________________.

Signature_________________________________

Date Typed Name

Address

USCIS no longer routinely requires submission of original documents or "certified copies." Instead, ordinary legible photocopies of such documents (including naturalization certificates and alien registration cards) will be acceptable for initial filing and approval of petitions and applications.

At the discretion of the officer, original documents may still be required in individual cases. Please be advised that USCIS no longer returns original documents submitted with the exception of Certificates of Naturalization, Forms I-551, Permanent Resident Card, Forms I-94, Arrival/Departure Document, valid passports, or those specifically requested by the officer. Such documents will be returned when they are no longer needed.

Reminder: The best way to locate records is through the receipt number and/or the A-Number. Always provide this information whenever possible. If you don't know the A-Number, provide a COMPLETE name and date of birth. ALSO: Provide ANY AND ALL names used by the individual, including aliases, maiden names, names used when originally admitted to the United States, etc. Providing this information is extremely helpful and speeds up processing time.

DUPLICATE FILINGS (without fee): Cases will be accepted as a duplicate filing only when USCIS has specifically requested that a duplicate be filed. In such a case be sure to submit the receipt number of original filing or any copies of notices received from USCIS on the first filing when submitting a duplicate petition or application.

The address block on the forms is the data field captured for all of our mailings. Consistent with the limitations on the number of characters per line (a maximum of 32) and the total numbers of lines (4) in that field, whatever is in the block will become the mailing address used by the system. The data in these fields is entered exactly as indicated on the forms. Please include internal routing symbols in the address block, especially for large organizations. It is better to abbreviate the name of the organization and have space for the routing codes than to fully spell out the name and have notices sit in the organization's mailroom.

Recognized authorities: Many I-129 petitions filed with evidence of the beneficiary's education or accomplishments include documentation submitted by various authorities. For example, petitions for artists and entertainers may incude evidence the beneficiary has received an award or other recognition of achievement. Petitions for individuals employed in a specialty occupation may include evidence the beneficiary belongs to a professional organization. When an individual's awards or membership is used to support a petition, evidence establishing the reputation of that organization must also be submitted. Examples of the type of evidence needed includes the following: the size and standing of the organization or the organization's requirements for membership and any other documentation which would establish the reputation of that organization.

When an opinion from a recognized authority is submitted, the opinion should state: the writer's qualifications as an expert; the writer's experience giving such opinions, citing specific instances where past opinions have been accepted as authoritiative and by whom; how the conclusions were reached; and the basis for the conclusions, including copies or citations of any research material used.

Any application or petition for an individual currently in F-1 status needs to include evidence the student has been maintaining status and has been authorized employment if applicable. Such evidence usually can be satisfied by submitting the latest Form I-20AB/I-20ID and a copy of the employment authorization card.

Thank you so much Clayton. I will follow your lead. I hope you are well!

not ...

- getting annoyed/angry

- "I'll show them"

- etc, etc

:)

I absolutely agree with Rog and Jim.

When I put together my I-129f, I followed the guidelines that Michael has provided for you along with ALOT of help from the members here including, if memory serves, quite a bit from Randy as well. :)

not ...

- getting annoyed/angry

- "I'll show them"

- etc, etc

:)

When I put together my I-129f, I followed the guidelines that Michael has provided for you along with ALOT of help from the members here including, if memory serves, quite a bit from Randy as well. :)

Actually our "shipmate" Clayton provided this great info. I'm heading back to Office Depot and Staples tomorrow for Acco fastners, dividers, and folders. (and I had such nice 3 ring folders assembled!)...looks like fourth trip to office supply stores this week!!!!

not ...

- getting annoyed/angry

- "I'll show them"

- etc, etc

:P

When I put together my I-129f, I followed the guidelines that Michael has provided for you along with ALOT of help from the members here including, if memory serves, quite a bit from Randy as well. :clapping:

Actually our "shipmate" Clayton provided this great info. I'm heading back to Office Depot and Staples tomorrow for Acco fastners, dividers, and folders. (and I had such nice 3 ring folders assembled!)...looks like fourth trip to office supply stores this week!!!!

Just another little tip, which has not been discussed much…..

With respect to some really sturdy, professional looking file/report covers, which are already top hole punched and hinged for Federal reports and case files:

You will have to look hard for them (as most report covers are in the l/side hole format) but ACCO Brands- Wilson Jones type, heavy duty report covers, top bound, presstex material in black grain texture, and comes with the 2’ capacity ACCO fastener included, as well as reinforced Tyvek hinges. Package of two for about four to five bucks. Then you can affix a 2x4 label to the face and now you have a report that looks like it came out of the US Attorney’s Office !! Office Max did not have any of the top hole stuff, but Office Depot did.

Edited by rogerinca (see edit history)