choose a major to study

I landed in US around two weeks ago. Now, after I get all the paper work done, I start to go back to school. I applied for a school when I was in China. I intended to study TESOL or Early Childhood Education, but I don't know if the job opportunities are great for a Chinese . If any of you guys have any knowledge about becoming a teacher in US, can you give me some inputs? :angry:

Guest Long_strider

Christina,

Early Children Education is a very interesting field and does not require a significant amount of education, depending upon the specific age range and location that you wish to work. As many Americans are increasingly two party wage earners, pre-school children are frequently cared for outside the home. Depending upon the location and age of the pre-school children costs average $500-800 per month tuition for the children.

There are several sources for learning more about this in the United States.

One is the Occupational Outlook Handbook, published by the US Department of Labor and is available on the internet with search capabilities for different occupational. It provides a general outline of job duties, educational requirments and typical income and benefits. Here is the website. There is also state specific information generally available for each state that provides average wages and employment outlook. Early Children Development occupational are expected to grow in the next few years. Many people consider starting their own business as the income and benefits can be greater. Also if the child program is located in your home, there are a number of additional tax benefits.

http://www.bls.gov/oco/

Hope this is helpful. If you have other specific questions about this, feel free to email me.

Mi.

Is that easier to get a job in the future for management and accounting?

I don't know anything about Managing and accounting. I can tell you that there are a lot of jobs in education right now because about half of all the nations' teachers will be retiring in the next five years or so. Teaching in a public school requires at least a bachelor's degree and a certification to teach. Salaries vary a great deal from one state to another.

Dave

• 1 month later...
At this stage of the game, it appears Li is planning to pursue graduate study either in accounting or management. She is stayiing up late every night cramming for the GMAT. :D

Haven't checked this forum for quite a while. Like Li, I am cramming for GMAT too. But I'm really just taking it easy since I cannot apply for school until November. The MBA program in town ranks 20th in the country so it is doable. As far as future job is concerned, I will have to do some more homework.

Good luck, LI!:D

Yuhui is thinking of getting a Masters in Business/ International ( bless her heart.... Ahemm. I got one of those :D ) She had already one in China in Material Sciences. I think it's good to have a engineer-business dual background.

As for me, I should have been an Oceanographer. dang ! :D