david_dawei

Listen boys,China is not a immigrant country to get PR is almost impossible unless you are very rich and connected.

Also I caution you if your wife takes USC , it will become very complicated to live there perminantly.

Complicated, but certainly not impossible if one plans ahead.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The fact of the matter is that China would really rather not have foreigners hanging around at all who are not needed for jobs... :lol:

Since my wife will be becoming a USC before we retire in 3 years we would be stuck with visa runs out of the country every 90 days if we wanted to stay in China...Right now our best alternative looks to be getting a retirement visa in Thailand which is an annual renewal and very easy to qualify for, and splitting our time between Thailand and China... :o

And even then.

Your wife could always retain her Chinese citizenship on the sly and you could get one-year or two-year spousal visas in China with minimal hassle. Then again, Thailand is nice. :)

Hi all been awhile,

so what is the two year visa and how long can you get it for? 6 month stay multiple entry? 9 month stay?

thanks

I imagine you mean the special "L" visa for spouses of Chinese citizens, right?

If so, it is still relatively easy to obtain depending on your nationality. They are generally giving initially 1-year multiple entry "L: visas, but more and more 2-year visas are not uncommon.

There are a few things they throw in your way to slow you down, though, such as only being to obtain it usually in the place where your spouse maintains her hukou.

. . . or at any of the Chinese consulates in the US. It is very easy these days.

The fact of the matter is that China would really rather not have foreigners hanging around at all who are not needed for jobs... :lol:

Since my wife will be becoming a USC before we retire in 3 years we would be stuck with visa runs out of the country every 90 days if we wanted to stay in China...Right now our best alternative looks to be getting a retirement visa in Thailand which is an annual renewal and very easy to qualify for, and splitting our time between Thailand and China... :)

And even then.

Your wife could always retain her Chinese citizenship on the sly and you could get one-year or two-year spousal visas in China with minimal hassle. Then again, Thailand is nice. :)

Hi all been awhile,

so what is the two year visa and how long can you get it for? 6 month stay multiple entry? 9 month stay?

thanks

I imagine you mean the special "L" visa for spouses of Chinese citizens, right?

If so, it is still relatively easy to obtain depending on your nationality. They are generally giving initially 1-year multiple entry "L: visas, but more and more 2-year visas are not uncommon.

There are a few things they throw in your way to slow you down, though, such as only being to obtain it usually in the place where your spouse maintains her hukou.

. . . or at any of the Chinese consulates in the US. It is very easy these days.

That is good news! I'm glad they are making things slightly less unreasonable for family members. I'm looking forward to the day when they make permanent residence easier for those who have family in China.

I saw a reference to a 3 year visa for the PRC in an expat forum... :D

But before you get too excited it is for Hong Kong passport holders ONLY... :(

Also Hong Kongers are allowed to be dual citizens by the PRC... B) or have dual passports anyway... :unsure:

I saw a reference to a 3 year visa for the PRC in an expat forum... :lol:

But before you get too excited it is for Hong Kong passport holders ONLY... :)

Also Hong Kongers are allowed to be dual citizens by the PRC... :lol: or have dual passports anyway... :rolleyes:

As in Hong Kong and PRC? Or are they allowed to also hold, say, a US or British passport?

But before you get too excited it is for Hong Kong passport holders ONLY... :lol:

Also Hong Kongers are allowed to be dual citizens by the PRC... B) or have dual passports anyway... :lol:

As in Hong Kong and PRC? Or are they allowed to also hold, say, a US or British passport?

Here is way more than you ever wanted to know about the subject... :P

http://www.geoexpat.com/forum/forum54.html

But before you get too excited it is for Hong Kong passport holders ONLY... :P

Also Hong Kongers are allowed to be dual citizens by the PRC... ;) or have dual passports anyway... :lol:

If they obtained them prior to a certain date (which I can't remember exactly), they are allowed dual citizenship. After that date, they are Chinese citizens exclusively just as anybody from the Mainland. Or at least that what HKers have told me.