david_dawei

Instructions of Applications for Visa: (The forms here are outdated. Current application information can be found at your PSB - RW 7/6/2015)

Page 1-3

Page 4

Page 5-6

Page 7-8, plus cover

Application for Permanent Residence in China:

Cover page

Page 1-3

Page 4

Page 5-6

Property Ownership:

Owner

Co-owner

Page 1

Page 2

other related threads:

Anyone know about China visa for usc, Is there a permanent resident status in China

Purchasing a home in China, Transferring the Money

Property Ownership in China

Permanent Residency in China

two more recent threads

Applying for a China Residence Permit - this is done at the PSB Entry & exit Bureau

A residence permit is a VISA, affixed to your passport, issued by the PSB Entry & Exit Administration.

Applying for a Chinese Green Card

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don, David, and GZBILL ...

The subject pamphlets are specific to the GZ PSB. Good info and no doubt dead accurate for GZ.

I observe, taking the Tourist Visa (L), for example, that THE GZ PSB's info is more complicated than that required by a US Chinese consulate ... GZ requires financial responsibility and the Chinese visa process in the US does not.

Recommend that the pinned material be caveatted making it clear that these are the GZ PSB pamphlets and requirements in other locations may vary slightly.

Otherwise first time visa applicants may become confused ...

The subject pamphlets are specific to the GZ PSB. Good info and no doubt dead accurate for GZ.

I observe, taking the Tourist Visa (L), for example, that THE GZ PSB's info is more complicated than that required by a US Chinese consulate ... GZ requires financial responsibility and the Chinese visa process in the US does not.

Recommend that the pinned material be caveatted making it clear that these are the GZ PSB pamphlets and requirements in other locations may vary slightly.

You must be confused. :)

If you read carefully, we are taling about visa extensions obtainable for spouses of Chinese nationals or PR while inside of China. The topic is not first time visa applicants. I mean, how can you be a first time visa applicant if you are already in China? :P

In any event, for those who have some actual understanding of how things work, the actual regulations as implemented by the Ministry of Public Security & the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, do stipulate that tourists must show financial responsability before being able to extend their visa in-country as well as show round-trip air tickets for your initial visa obtainable from outside of China. These are the regulations. But we all know they are enforced on an ad hoc basis. Welcome to China.

• 4 months later...

I apologize for not having any actual understanding and I resist writing the post I would actually like to write.

Awww, Jim, don't be shy. I would actually like to read your reply! <_<

Merry Christmas to you and your family.

If I am living in China on an L visa and getting it renewed as often as needed, then would a work visa be required also to be able to be employed?

Charles,

In three years of living here I have had an L visa and worked under the "Don't ask, don't tell" rule. Currently, I have a Z (Work) visa for the university where I work. Their requirement because they are closely scrutinized by the government. So, you can do it either way. But, it is one or the other.

In the long run it is better to have the Z visa because it is the legal way (A relative term here) and the place where you work takes care of renewing it.

Also the Z is good for a year where the L renewal seemed to be arbitrary, one time 3 months, then a year, then 6 months . . .

I'd like to add a bunch of personal stuff, but when I get the time I'll write ya instead. Ying will be calling Haihua soon.

Steve

Steve,

I hear ya about the "legal way." The problem is that in order to get a Z visa then one must have a bachelor's degree which I do not have. I am just looking towards the future and trying to look at all the options as you well know. I am certain that Haihua will be looking forward to the call. <_<

Thanks buddy,

Charles

• 3 months later...

I got my one-year L visa earlier this week. The process was fairly uncomplicated, thanks to the helpful brocure at the top of this category. Went to the Public Security Bureau here in Chengdu on April 10 (after convincing my wife that we did not get the "Chinese" visa at the US Consulate), second floor, and filled out a two-page form with the standard information...... even had a blank for requesting the expiration date! I was tempted to put 2020 or something like that, but opted for one year, didn't want to have my app slowed down for any reason. My wife and I both had to be present when submitting the form, plus the required copies of passport, ID card, hukuo book, and police registration form for temporary visitors. I had to submit my original passport of course, and they asked my to write a short sentence on the bottom of the app form, acknowledging that I understood and agreed that my present visa would be canceled as part of the process. Got a rceipt slip and was told to return on April 14th in the afternoon.

I returned on the 14th at 1PM and was told "no, 2:30PM". Went back after shopping some more and got another slip which had the amount due (940rmb) and was told to go to a specific bank around the corner and pay there. Paid the fee, got another receipt and returned to the PSB and told to wait to be called at end of counter. They made a general announcement and all the applicants (~8) got in line and received their passport with new visas. Checked mine and noted the expiration date was April 8, 2009 :pilot:

All in all, not too complicated. Now we wait for awhile and then make plans to get my wife a tourist visa for the US so we can go visit friends and family.

You must be confused. :alldone:

If you read carefully, we are taling about visa extensions obtainable for spouses of Chinese nationals or PR while inside of China. The topic is not first time visa applicants. I mean, how can you be a first time visa applicant if you are already in China? :ph34r:

In any event, for those who have some actual understanding of how things work, the actual regulations as implemented by the Ministry of Public Security & the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, do stipulate that tourists must show financial responsability before being able to extend their visa in-country as well as show round-trip air tickets for your initial visa obtainable from outside of China. These are the regulations. But we all know they are enforced on an ad hoc basis. Welcome to China.

The past 2 years,I zig zagged all over China making "Visa Extensions" (L-Tourist),and the prices,processing time,and "Proof Of Financial Responsibility" were often different.

It seems ANYBODY will accept $3,100 USD CASH (or RMB Yuan,definately not Korean WON or Thailand BHAT)

In Foshan and ShenZhen and GuangZhou I found the most rigid enforcment about the money.Just showing a Credit Card was not good enough.They wanted a printed statment (impossible to get in China) from my bank showing my "available funds".

My Foshan friend's mother's (both of them holding GuanXi Province ID Cards)co-worker showed up at the Foshan police station,and handed over her ID Card to somehow "sponsor" my 30 Day extension.I never met her before in my life,but there she was.

(Those Chinese WILL COME THROUGH FOR YOU,no matter what Ive said about them in the past.Some of the nicest people you could meet anywhere on the planet)

In Beijing they let you get ONE extension,no questions about financial responsibility,but after that you have to show something.

I would say GuangDong was the most strict about following the letter of the law compared to the other places I went to across China.

You must be confused. :P

If you read carefully, we are taling about visa extensions obtainable for spouses of Chinese nationals or PR while inside of China. The topic is not first time visa applicants. I mean, how can you be a first time visa applicant if you are already in China? ;)

The past 2 years,I zig zagged all over China making "Visa Extensions" (L-Tourist),and the prices,processing time,and "Proof Of Financial Responsibility" were often different.

It seems ANYBODY will accept $3,100 USD CASH (or RMB Yuan,definately not Korean WON or Thailand BHAT)

In Foshan and ShenZhen and GuangZhou I found the most rigid enforcment about the money.Just showing a Credit Card was not good enough.They wanted a printed statment (impossible to get in China) from my bank showing my "available funds".

My Foshan friend's mother's (both of them holding GuanXi Province ID Cards)co-worker showed up at the Foshan police station,and handed over her ID Card to somehow "sponsor" my 30 Day extension.I never met her before in my life,but there she was.

(Those Chinese WILL COME THROUGH FOR YOU,no matter what Ive said about them in the past.Some of the nicest people you could meet anywhere on the planet)

In Beijing they let you get ONE extension,no questions about financial responsibility,but after that you have to show something.

I would say GuangDong was the most strict about following the letter of the law compared to the other places I went to across China.

I think this attitude that...IN CHINA THERE'S ALWAYS A WAY...is why my wife is confident that even if we are both USC when we move to China there is always a way to allow us to stay... :toot:

You must be confused. :blink:

If you read carefully, we are taling about visa extensions obtainable for spouses of Chinese nationals or PR while inside of China. The topic is not first time visa applicants. I mean, how can you be a first time visa applicant if you are already in China? :unsure:

I think this attitude that...IN CHINA THERE'S ALWAYS A WAY...is why my wife is confident that even if we are both USC when we move to China there is always a way to allow us to stay... :)

I think there is a thread here about some American caught overstaying his China Visa ove a year,so they sentenced him to three years teaching English for free.

• 6 months later...

If I am living in China on an L visa and getting it renewed as often as needed, then would a work visa be required also to be able to be employed?

Charles,

In three years of living here I have had an L visa and worked under the "Don't ask, don't tell" rule. Currently, I have a Z (Work) visa for the university where I work. Their requirement because they are closely scrutinized by the government. So, you can do it either way. But, it is one or the other.

In the long run it is better to have the Z visa because it is the legal way (A relative term here) and the place where you work takes care of renewing it.

Also the Z is good for a year where the L renewal seemed to be arbitrary, one time 3 months, then a year, then 6 months . . .

I'd like to add a bunch of personal stuff, but when I get the time I'll write ya instead. Ying will be calling Haihua soon.

Steve

Steve,

I hear ya about the "legal way." The problem is that in order to get a Z visa then one must have a bachelor's degree which I do not have. I am just looking towards the future and trying to look at all the options as you well know. I am certain that Haihua will be looking forward to the call. :lol:

Thanks buddy,

Charles

Hi, Carles,

Did you find a way to get a Z visa? My son is facing the same problem. He only got a high school diploma and was rejected on a Z even though the company is willing to hire him. He stayed on the L for about a year and half now through renewal and recently had to travel to HK to get a new one cause Shanghai refused to renew his now. I know there are a lot of illegal immigrants in Guanxi and Guangdong from Thailand and Vietnam, etc. Not sure what the penalty is when found out.

Charles,

Steve

Steve,

I hear ya about the "legal way." The problem is that in order to get a Z visa then one must have a bachelor's degree which I do not have. I am just looking towards the future and trying to look at all the options as you well know. I am certain that Haihua will be looking forward to the call. :)

Thanks buddy,

Charles

Hi, Carles,

Did you find a way to get a Z visa? My son is facing the same problem. He only got a high school diploma and was rejected on a Z even though the company is willing to hire him. He stayed on the L for about a year and half now through renewal and recently had to travel to HK to get a new one cause Shanghai refused to renew his now. I know there are a lot of illegal immigrants in Guanxi and Guangdong from Thailand and Vietnam, etc. Not sure what the penalty is when found out.

Supposedly because of the Olympics visa regulations and enforcement were tightened. Almost everybody speculated that after the Olympics it would be back to business as usual. They were wrong.

In most of the bigger cities, they are enforcing the requirement that you must have a university degree plus two years of relevant post-degree experience before issuing a "Z" visa. They are also making it much harder for companies to even get permission to hire expats.

There are not a lot of illegal immigrants now in Guangdong. At one time Guangdong was notoriously lax in immigration enforcement, but this has changed. In those provinces bordering Vietnam, there is a lot of cross-border spill over (like in Harbin and also the border areas with Korea), but it is tolerated because they are "neighbors." Not so for Americans.

If caught -- which is increasingly common -- there is a 500 RMB per day fine which is currently capped at about 5,000 RMB. There is also the very real possibility of a 14-day jail stay or even longer depending on circumstances. In any event, the ultimate destination is deportation and banned from re-entering China.