david_dawei

This seems to be the most recent "L"visa update from the Chinese Embassy website...My take is that if my wife becomes a USC then she can get a 24 month L visa but I could only get the 12 month...But in either case we would normally be limited to stays of 30 days...Except for the provision in the last sentence for "If your estimated stay in China is longer than 30 days, please make it clear in the application form and ask for the VO's approval when you submit your application."

Can you get approval for a 12 month stay? Can you do that over and over? We would be applying at the Chicago consulate which may be a very different story than getting renewals in China... :lol:

I guess it comes back to the same old story...If you and your wife are both USC then it will be problematic staying in China long-term...Only by having your wife remain a PRCC can you stay in China easily but of course she remains under the jurisdiction of the USCIS and the whims of the American VO on your forced annual return... ;)

Updated: 19/09/2008

Tourist Visa (L Visa) is issued to an alien who comes to China for sightseeing or visiting family members or friends or for other personal affairs.

¡øUS citizens may apply for a Single Entry (valid for 3-6 months), Double Entry (valid for 6 months), Multiple Entry (valid for 6 months or 12 months) ¡°L¡± Visa as needed.

¡øA Chinese-American born in China (Taiwan, HongKong and Macau included)may apply for a Multiple Entry ¡°L¡± Visa valid for 24 months.The photocopy of the personal information page of his/her passport is required to provide.

¡øForeign spouse and children of a Chinese citizen may apply for a Multiple Entry ¡°L¡± Visa valid for 24 months.The original and photocopy of relevant Marriage Certificate,Birth Certificate, Kinship Certificate and other necessary documents are required to provide.

¡ø Temporary foreign visitors with a valid US visa or foreign residents with legitimate status in the US, may apply for Chinese visa to the Visa Office of the Chinese Embassy. The visa officer may ask the applicant to provide the original and photocopy of their US Green Card,Work Permit,I-20 Form, valid US Visa or other additional documents and make a decision on whether to issue the visa case by case.

¢õ.Visa Validity and Duration of Stay

Usually the validity of a Single Entry or Double Entry ¡°L¡± visa is 90 days or 180 days from the date of issue. This means the holder of the visa shall enter China no later than 90 days or 180 days from the date of issue, otherwise the visa will be expired and is null and void. Normally the duration of stay of a ¡°L¡± visa is 30 days, which means the holder of the visa may stay in China for up to 30 days from the date of entry. If your estimated stay in China is longer than 30 days, please make it clear in the application form and ask for the Visa Officer's approval when you submit your application..

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This seems to be the most recent "L"visa update from the Chinese Embassy website...My take is that if my wife becomes a USC then she can get a 24 month L visa but I could only get the 12 month...But in either case we would normally be limited to stays of 30 days...Except for the provision in the last sentence for "If your estimated stay in China is longer than 30 days, please make it clear in the application form and ask for the VO's approval when you submit your application."

Can you get approval for a 12 month stay? Can you do that over and over? We would be applying at the Chicago consulate which may be a very different story than getting renewals in China... :unsure:

I guess it comes back to the same old story...If you and your wife are both USC then it will be problematic staying in China long-term...Only by having your wife remain a PRCC can you stay in China easily but of course she remains under the jurisdiction of the USCIS and the whims of the American VO on your forced annual return... :blush:

Tourist Visa (L Visa) is issued to an alien who comes to China for sightseeing or visiting family members or friends or for other personal affairs.

¡øUS citizens may apply for a Single Entry (valid for 3-6 months), Double Entry (valid for 6 months), Multiple Entry (valid for 6 months or 12 months) ¡°L¡± Visa as needed.

¡øA Chinese-American born in China (Taiwan, HongKong and Macau included)may apply for a Multiple Entry ¡°L¡± Visa valid for 24 months.The photocopy of the personal information page of his/her passport is required to provide.

¡øForeign spouse and children of a Chinese citizen may apply for a Multiple Entry ¡°L¡± Visa valid for 24 months.The original and photocopy of relevant Marriage Certificate,Birth Certificate, Kinship Certificate and other necessary documents are required to provide.

¡ø Temporary foreign visitors with a valid US visa or foreign residents with legitimate status in the US, may apply for Chinese visa to the Visa Office of the Chinese Embassy. The visa officer may ask the applicant to provide the original and photocopy of their US Green Card,Work Permit,I-20 Form, valid US Visa or other additional documents and make a decision on whether to issue the visa case by case.

Usually the validity of a Single Entry or Double Entry ¡°L¡± visa is 90 days or 180 days from the date of issue. This means the holder of the visa shall enter China no later than 90 days or 180 days from the date of issue, otherwise the visa will be expired and is null and void. Normally the duration of stay of a ¡°L¡± visa is 30 days, which means the holder of the visa may stay in China for up to 30 days from the date of entry. If your estimated stay in China is longer than 30 days, please make it clear in the application form and ask for the Visa Officer's approval when you submit your application..

Not too much different from before ... unfortunately.

Almost every visa issued outside of China has a maximum stay limitation which effectively cuts the original term of your visa into segments.

One of the only ways to get a full year without stay limitations is by applying INSIDE of China as the spouse of a PRC national or permanent resident.

Can you get approval for a 12 month stay? Can you do that over and over? We would be applying at the Chicago consulate which may be a very different story than getting renewals in China... :blink:

I guess it comes back to the same old story...If you and your wife are both USC then it will be problematic staying in China long-term...Only by having your wife remain a PRCC can you stay in China easily but of course she remains under the jurisdiction of the USCIS and the whims of the American VO on your forced annual return... :rotfl:

Not too much different from before ... unfortunately.

Almost every visa issued outside of China has a maximum stay limitation which effectively cuts the original term of your visa into segments.

One of the only ways to get a full year without stay limitations is by applying INSIDE of China as the spouse of a PRC national or permanent resident.

:lol:

• 1 month later...

What's up with this??? If I want to reside permanently in China I just sign-up for this D Visa and badda bing I'm there... :rolleyes:

Resident Visa (D Visa) is issued to an alien who comes to reside permanently in China.

¢ñ.Please submit the following documents for your application:

1. Passport: Your valid passport must have at least six (6) months of remaining validity with at least one blank visa page in it.

2. Application form: One completed Visa Application Form (Q1)

3. Photo: Photo: one photo of 2*2 square inch (black & white or color is acceptable) glued or stapled on the application form.

4. Residence Approval Certificate issued by the Chinese public security bureau. (The applicant may entrust his or her relatives within China to apply for this certificate with the said authority.)

¢ò.How to apply

1.You may submit the application to the Visa Office of the Embassy or Consulate -General which holds consular jurisdiction over the state where you reside;

2.If you cannot come in person, you may entrust someone else or a travel/visa agent to drop off your application at the visa office of the Embassy or Consulate -General which holds consular jurisdiction over the state where you reside.

¡øNo appointment is required.

¡øMailed applications are not acceptable and will be returned.

¡øMail back service is available (make sure you read INSTRUCTIONS FOR APPLICATION MAIL SERVICE) .

¢ó.Processing Time

1.The regular processing time is 4 working days.

2.Express service: 2-3 working days processing, $20 will be charged per visa.

3.Same day rush service: additional fee of $30 for 1 working day processing (applications presented before 12:30pm may be picked up between 2:30pm-3:00pm on the same day).

¢ô.Visa fees

1.Please pay by Visa, MasterCard, Money Order, Cashier's Check, Company Check or Cash. Personal checks are not acceptable.

2.Please make the check or money order payable to the Chinese Embassy.

3.Fee:$130 for American, and $30 for Citizens of other countries.

¢õ.Additional Information

1.If the visa application form is not filled out completely, correctly and legibly, this can cause a delay in processing or refusal of the requested visa.

2.D visa is valid for one entry,six months. The holder of a D visa shall go through residential formalities in the local public security department within thirty days of entry into China.

http://www.china-embassy.org/eng/hzqz/zgqz/t162609.htm

Edited by rogerluli (see edit history)

This was GZBILL's reply to MikeXiao who pointed that out in 2007. I see the link was updated in Sept 2008.

This address gives the instructions on how to become a permanent resident in China.

Instructions

This link is outdated by way of the Chinese Embassy not updating their information. The old "D" visa system mentioned in this article has been eliminated years ago. The only way to get a "D" visa now is to apply for and be approved permanent residency (the new green card system). Once approved by the Ministry of Public Security approximately 6+ months after applying, the MPS will inform the Chinese embassy to issue a "D" visa which must be converted into a green card once the bearer arrives in China.

This was GZBILL's reply to MikeXiao who pointed that out in 2007. I see the link was updated in Sept 2008.

This address gives the instructions on how to become a permanent resident in China.

Instructions

This link is outdated by way of the Chinese Embassy not updating their information. The old "D" visa system mentioned in this article has been eliminated years ago. The only way to get a "D" visa now is to apply for and be approved permanent residency (the new green card system). Once approved by the Ministry of Public Security approximately 6+ months after applying, the MPS will inform the Chinese embassy to issue a "D" visa which must be converted into a green card once the bearer arrives in China.

I saw the updated date and thought maybe it was new... :rolleyes:

• 1 year later...

So, is this the way to go if you want to spend a considerable amount of time in China with your Chinese spouse?

HTTP://www.china-embassy.org/eng/gyzg/t151137.htm

"According to the regulations, eligibility for permanent residence mainly applies to high-level foreign personnel who hold posts in businesses which promote China's economic, scientific and technological development or social progress, foreign citizens who make relatively large direct investment in China, foreigners who have made outstanding contributions or are of special importance to China, and foreigners who come to China to be with their families.

The regulations provide that there is no limitation on the period of stay of aliens with permanent resident status in China, and they need not obtain visas and can enter and leave the country with their valid passport and Alien Permanent Residence Permits.

The Alien Permanent Residence Permits are valid for five or ten years. Certificates with five-year validity are granted to minors, while certificates with ten-year validity are granted to adults. "

Also found this: http://www.china.org.cn/english/LivinginChina/184128.htm

"V. The ministry shall decide whether to approve or reject the application for permanent residence permit within 6 months of receiving the application."

"Those who obtain a Chinese green card should not stay in China less than three months in a year or less than a year in five years. Special causes will need approval from city level public security bureaus."

Anybody with any experiences with this?

So, is this the way to go if you want to spend a considerable amount of time in China with your Chinese spouse?

"According to the regulations, eligibility for permanent residence mainly applies to high-level foreign personnel who hold posts in businesses which promote China's economic, scientific and technological development or social progress, foreign citizens who make relatively large direct investment in China, foreigners who have made outstanding contributions or are of special importance to China, and foreigners who come to China to be with their families.

The regulations provide that there is no limitation on the period of stay of aliens with permanent resident status in China, and they need not obtain visas and can enter and leave the country with their valid passport and Alien Permanent Residence Permits.

The Alien Permanent Residence Permits are valid for five or ten years. Certificates with five-year validity are granted to minors, while certificates with ten-year validity are granted to adults. "

"V. The ministry shall decide whether to approve or reject the application for permanent residence permit within 6 months of receiving the application."

"Those who obtain a Chinese green card should not stay in China less than three months in a year or less than a year in five years. Special causes will need approval from city level public security bureaus."

I have heard that in practice these permanent visas are almost never granted to foreigners. What we can get is an L visa that we can extend annually while in China (don't need to leave). But it is not permanent and it doesn't allow you to work. Would love to hear if someone has managed to get a permanent one though.

On a side note, foreigners married to a Chinese citizen can now get a two year L visa. My consulate in LA didn't believe it and was only going to give me a one year, but I brought in a printout from the National consulate website and they read it and finally gave me the two year.

• 2 weeks later...

Although it specifically mentions expats who wish to remain with their Chinese spouse, the reality is that there are a lot of conditions that are difficult -- very difficult -- to meet.

I have heard that in practice these permanent visas are almost never granted to foreigners. What we can get is an L visa that we can extend annually while in China (don't need to leave). But it is not permanent and it doesn't allow you to work. Would love to hear if someone has managed to get a permanent one though.

On a side note, foreigners married to a Chinese citizen can now get a two year L visa. My consulate in LA didn't believe it and was only going to give me a one year, but I brought in a printout from the National consulate website and they read it and finally gave me the two year.

True. Permanent residence is extremely difficult to obtain. Latest figures suggest that in the approximately 5 years that they have had a permanent residence program, there are only about 850 individuals who have obtained it -- and of those about 400 were grandfathered in from many, many years ago with ad hoc residency granted from the 1980's and before.

Edited by GDBILL (see edit history)

The fact of the matter is that China would really rather not have foreigners hanging around at all who are not needed for jobs... B)

Since my wife will be becoming a USC before we retire in 3 years we would be stuck with visa runs out of the country every 90 days if we wanted to stay in China...Right now our best alternative looks to be getting a retirement visa in Thailand which is an annual renewal and very easy to qualify for, and splitting our time between Thailand and China... :D

The fact of the matter is that China would really rather not have foreigners hanging around at all who are not needed for jobs... :lol:

Since my wife will be becoming a USC before we retire in 3 years we would be stuck with visa runs out of the country every 90 days if we wanted to stay in China...Right now our best alternative looks to be getting a retirement visa in Thailand which is an annual renewal and very easy to qualify for, and splitting our time between Thailand and China... B)

And even then.

Your wife could always retain her Chinese citizenship on the sly and you could get one-year or two-year spousal visas in China with minimal hassle. Then again, Thailand is nice. :lol:

The fact of the matter is that China would really rather not have foreigners hanging around at all who are not needed for jobs... :huh:

Since my wife will be becoming a USC before we retire in 3 years we would be stuck with visa runs out of the country every 90 days if we wanted to stay in China...Right now our best alternative looks to be getting a retirement visa in Thailand which is an annual renewal and very easy to qualify for, and splitting our time between Thailand and China... B)

And even then.

Your wife could always retain her Chinese citizenship on the sly and you could get one-year or two-year spousal visas in China with minimal hassle. Then again, Thailand is nice. :o

Hi all been awhile,

so what is the two year visa and how long can you get it for? 6 month stay multiple entry? 9 month stay?

thanks

Guest jin979

Listen boys,China is not a immigrant country to get PR is almost impossible unless you are very rich and connected.

Also I caution you if your wife takes USC , it will become very complicated to live there perminantly.

The fact of the matter is that China would really rather not have foreigners hanging around at all who are not needed for jobs... :huh:

Since my wife will be becoming a USC before we retire in 3 years we would be stuck with visa runs out of the country every 90 days if we wanted to stay in China...Right now our best alternative looks to be getting a retirement visa in Thailand which is an annual renewal and very easy to qualify for, and splitting our time between Thailand and China... ;)

And even then.

Your wife could always retain her Chinese citizenship on the sly and you could get one-year or two-year spousal visas in China with minimal hassle. Then again, Thailand is nice. :o

Hi all been awhile,

so what is the two year visa and how long can you get it for? 6 month stay multiple entry? 9 month stay?

thanks

I imagine you mean the special "L" visa for spouses of Chinese citizens, right?

If so, it is still relatively easy to obtain depending on your nationality. They are generally giving initially 1-year multiple entry "L: visas, but more and more 2-year visas are not uncommon.

There are a few things they throw in your way to slow you down, though, such as only being to obtain it usually in the place where your spouse maintains her hukou.