I Have to Laugh or Else I Would Cry

Just got off the phone with BCIS and I am livid, my head is spinning. I guess I was foolish to think that once we got the visa and got to the States, things would run more smoothly. Oh, what a fool I am for thinking such a thing. Here is what has happened in a nutshell.

Li has been here two plus months now and her name has yet to be entered into the system. As a result, she cannot receive a Social Security Card, cannot get a driver's license, nor open a bank account. I called BCIS to try to find out why her name had not yet been entered. It was here the circus began.

I explained the situation to a gentleman who spoke very little English. I asked why the name had not been entered and when one could expect it to be entered. Conversaton as follows:

BCIS: The name has not been entered because it hasn't been entered yet.

:blink: :blink: :blink:

Me: Could you elaborate on that please?

BCIS: Her name must not have been entered yet.

Me: Why hasn't it been entered?

BCIS: Because no one has entered it.

:blink: :blink:

Me: How long does it usually take for the name to be entered?

BCIS: Usually months. In some cases, more months. :o

Me: How many months?

BCIS: Months.

At this point, seeing that I was getting nowhere fast, I switched tactics. I explained how she needed the SSN in order to get a driver's license, etc. Conversation continued:

BCIS: She cannot be issued a card until her name has been entered into the system. Once it is entered into the system, then she can file for EAD, after she has EAD, then she can have a card. But she will have to be entered into the system before she can get EAD.

Me: (Again) How long will it take to enter her into the system?

BCIS: Months. :huh:

I went on to explain that the officer at the SSN office told us they could issue her a card without EAD, stamped on the back that she was not allowed to work.

BCIS: No, she has to have EAD first. And she can't get EAD until the local center enters her into the system.

Me: What would you suggest we do to check on the status of our case?

BCIS: Contact the Atlanta Center. It is their responsibility to enter her into the system.

Me: OK, give me their phone number please.

BCIS: I don't have the number. Atlanta Center does not accept phone calls. You have to write them, then wait for a reply.

Me: Do you have an e-mail address?

BCIS: No. They only accept written, posted requests for information.

Me: I already have their snail mail address. How long will it be before I can expect a response?

BCIS: Months.

:o ;) :blink: :blink:

This conversation went on for several more minutes and became even more absurd. It was more than you could believe. Still have no info, still no direction to go in, no real advice. This place is beginning to make GZ look like a picture of efficiency.

Last time I called BCIS they told me that all K1's paperwork was sent to NVC to be entered. So we called NVC. They told us no, paperwork taken at airport for visas is not sent to NVC and instructed us to call BCIS. It was BCIS who originally told us to call NVC. ;)

So we have wasted a morning, accomplished nothing, and found out we need to call Atlanta but they won't accept calls.

I know some of you have had smooth sailing and I am happy for you. But our case, from day one until now, has been nothing short of one nightmare after another.

Sorry, had to vent.

Yes Dave, we seem to be dealing with a ship of fools. Just to follow up, I called again and got someone else who told me that NVC was responsible for entering data into the system. Called NVC, they said no. It was the responsibility of the local office. Can't call the local office because they won't give out their number. NVC said to call BCIS again. So I did. BCIS (another person this time) said no, the data was entered at the airport. So to summarize, three calls to BCIS has netted the following information:

Call One: Data is entered by local office

Call Two: Data is entered by NVC

Call Three: Data is entered at airport.

What, I say, what, is wrong with this picture? :angry: :( :blink:

Mick, we are on same boat. Would you tell me what number you called?I want to try and see if I could figure it out. thanks  :blink:

Thanks Alyse. I dialed the BCIS Information Line at 1-800-375-5283. Good luck. :angry:

Sorry to hear that, Mick and Li. :angry: Your experience on BCIS surprised me a lot. I received my SSN the third week I got here. Actually, they finished my data entry in about 2 weeks, and it was done in Sacramento, CA. To my understanding, it should be a very quick process. Therefore there is no reason for them to hang up your case for more than 2 months. Don't listen to the nonsense of the morons. Maybe you need to talk to some higher level people in BCIS. Good luck!

Sorry to hear that, Mick and Li.  :(  Your experience on BCIS surprised me a lot. I received my SSN the third week I got here. Actually, they finished my data entry in about 2 weeks, and it was done in Sacramento, CA. To my understanding, it should be a very quick process. Therefore there is no reason for them to hang up your case for more than 2 months. Don't listen to the nonsense of the morons. Maybe you need to talk to some higher level people in BCIS. Good luck!

Thanks Littlebear. Glad things went so smoothly for you. As for myself, I am at my wits end. The Atlanta Center is notorious for ultra-slow processing, consistent mistakes, and foul up after foul up. We will keep plugging away. As it is, they tell us there is little possibility of being issued a SSN card until 60-90 days or longer. :angry: :(

I wonder how they can be so efficient in California and so bumbling in Georgia. :blink:

Sorry to hear that, Mick and Li.  :(  Your experience on BCIS surprised me a lot. I received my SSN the third week I got here. Actually, they finished my data entry in about 2 weeks, and it was done in Sacramento, CA. To my understanding, it should be a very quick process. Therefore there is no reason for them to hang up your case for more than 2 months. Don't listen to the nonsense of the morons. Maybe you need to talk to some higher level people in BCIS. Good luck!

Thanks Littlebear. Glad things went so smoothly for you. As for myself, I am at my wits end. The Atlanta Center is notorious for ultra-slow processing, consistent mistakes, and foul up after foul up. We will keep plugging away. As it is, they tell us there is little possibility of being issued a SSN card until 60-90 days or longer. :angry: :(

I wonder how they can be so efficient in California and so bumbling in Georgia. :blink:

Since I have an EAD now, I should consider applying for a job in BCIS Atlanta Center. Won't it be helpful to you? ;)

Mick, we are on same boat. Would you tell me what number you called?I want to try and see if I could figure it out. thanks  ;)

Thanks Alyse. I dialed the BCIS Information Line at 1-800-375-5283. Good luck. :angry:

I called the number, and was able to talk to an immigrant officer. He told me it is the job of the local BCIS office to enter the data. I dont know if it is true or not.He gave me a number which was used for SSA to verfify infor with INS before. But I dont think I could persuade SSA to just verify on phone now though they used to do it. Also, he suggested me to file AOS sooner because it might trigger someone to look into our packet. So, I have to keep waiting. :blink: But, I reapplied SSN at a bigger SSA in DC :lol: they are more professional, even sign me a paper with date and person to contact. Wish both of us good luck :wacko: :angry:

Mick, we are on same boat. Would you tell me what number you called?I want to try and see if I could figure it out. thanks  :)

Thanks Alyse. I dialed the BCIS Information Line at 1-800-375-5283. Good luck. :lol:

I called the number, and was able to talk to an immigrant officer. He told me it is the job of the local BCIS office to enter the data. I dont know if it is true or not.He gave me a number which was used for SSA to verfify infor with INS before. But I dont think I could persuade SSA to just verify on phone now though they used to do it. Also, he suggested me to file AOS sooner because it might trigger someone to look into our packet. So, I have to keep waiting. :( But, I reapplied SSN at a bigger SSA in DC ;) they are more professional, even sign me a paper with date and person to contact. Wish both of us good luck :) :)

I hope this results in some progress for you Alyse. We have filed AOS but, as of yet, have heard nothing. Social Security still refuses to issue the card because no one has yet to enter Li into the system. Last person I talked to at BCIS added a new wrinkle. He stated that it was the responsibility of the BCIS personnel at the airport to enter the data into the system, but the only way to check on it was through the local office. Again, when I asked for the phone number for the local office, they refused to give it to me stating that the local office could not be contacted by telephone. ;) :angry: :blink: