Using Cold Water During A Woman's Menstrual Period

I have a question for those guys that have their Chinese wives already over. I was chatting with my fiancee this morning about things we will be doing once she is here. She brought up a remark that I had never heard of and wondered if it were true with other Chinese wives.

She asked me that when she was having her monthly period, if I would help her wash clothes and do the dishes, etc. I said I have done these chores for many years and don't plan on stopping to do them once she arrives. I asked her why she asked, just during her period. She said that during her period she does not touch or drink any cold/cool water. To do so would be bad for her health. She does not wash clothes in cold water, clean dishes or any chore that involves the use or drinking of cool water while she is having her period. I have a gynecologist friend at UTMB that I want to ask that question to. I have never heard of this in any of my previous relationships including a Japanese. Doing the chores are not a problem, but it is a cultural thing that I had never heard of. Anyone out there familiar with this issue?

As aye,

Jim

Shortly after my SO arrived in America she begun her period. She refused to drink or eat anything cold until her period was over. I had never heard of such a thing and thought she was a bit nutty. I went online and typed in a search on Yahoo asking if there was anything to this. There must have been 8-9 articles about this. Apparently there's some truth to it... that women on their period do not need to be eating and drinking COLD drinks. It didn't say anything about touching cool or cold water.. just drinking it. And these were webpages from American doctors, not Chinese doctors.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a question for those guys that have their Chinese wives already over. I was chatting with my fiancee this morning about things we will be doing once she is here. She brought up a remark that I had never heard of and wondered if it were true with other Chinese wives.

She asked me that when she was having her monthly period, if I would help her wash clothes and do the dishes, etc. I said I have done these chores for many years and don't plan on stopping to do them once she arrives. I asked her why she asked, just during her period. She said that during her period she does not touch or drink any cold/cool water. To do so would be bad for her health. She does not wash clothes in cold water, clean dishes or any chore that involves the use or drinking of cool water while she is having her period. I have a gynecologist friend at UTMB that I want to ask that question to. I have never heard of this in any of my previous relationships including a Japanese. Doing the chores are not a problem, but it is a cultural thing that I had never heard of. Anyone out there familiar with this issue?

As aye,

Jim

Just let her do the dishes and laundries in hot water. My wife acts the same way when she has her period. I mean she doesn't do much during that time.

http://www.hantang.com/english/en_Articles...strualcycle.htm

1. Do not drink cold drinks during your menstrual cycle. Most Americans love cold drinks. We put ice into everything. If you cannot drink hot drinks during your cycle, drink your drinks without ice.

2. Do not eat cold foods during your menstrual cycle. Cold foods include what we think of as cold, ice cream, slurpees, snow cones and it also includes foods that have a cold nature. These foods are generally raw fruits, fruit juices, raw vegetables. If you eat a lot of fruits and vegetables, make sure they are cooked and that you balance them with hot soups and teas.

3. Do not immerse yourself in cold water during your period. Don't swim or walk in cold rain. This is another way for Cold to invade your Uterus during your period. Some Chinese practitioners caution against bathing at all during your menstrual cycle, because your body is open during this time and prone to invasion of pathogens.

4. Do not over exert yourself during your period. Tone down your exercise program during this time so not to over burden your kidneys. Especially don't work up a sweat and cool down too rapidly. This is a good way to drive pathogens deep inside your body and cause problems with your periods for years to come.

5. Do eat sensibly and regularly. Improper amounts of food at irregular times can damage the spleen. This can lead to period problems.

6. Do exercises that will help to alleviate stress and negative emotions. These two things can lead to Liver Qi Stagnation and period problems. Tai Qi, Qi Gong, mediation, yoga are some of the ways we can help our bodies adjust to the stresses of modern life.

7. Moderation of sexual activity will aid the body in conserving Jing Essence. Women are less susceptible to Essence depletion than Men, but women can overdo sexual activity and deplete the Kidney essence. Ancient Chinese Scholars caution against early sexual activity and sexual activity while intoxicated. Jing Essence is depleted faster during these times.

As aye,

Jim

never heard of it previously either, buy my wife swears up and down cold water is bad for that unfortunate (not just for her) time of month.

it's so crazy, she even thinks walking in the cold section of the supermarket can make your stomach upset. i'm going to send her to the funny farm if she keeps it up/!! :)

A friend's wife is back in China for the birth of their grandchild and I got this explained to me last night.

The thought is that cold water will affect the blood and joints, which you will pay for when you are older. This is the basis for a woman who has just given birth to not bath or wash clothes for the first month. Washing clothes is usually done by hand using cold water in China, most don't have washing machines like in the US.

While I don't know what to think about the cold water bit, it is real to them and so it doesn't really matter what I think.

Remember Chinese women usually appear 15-20 years younger than their age compared to American women.

A friend's wife is back in China for the birth of their grandchild and I got this explained to me last night.

The thought is that cold water will affect the blood and joints, which you will pay for when you are older. This is the basis for a woman who has just given birth to not bath or wash clothes for the first month. Washing clothes is usually done by hand using cold water in China, most don't have washing machines like in the US.

While I don't know what to think about the cold water bit, it is real to them and so it doesn't really matter what I think.

Remember Chinese women usually appear 15-20 years younger than their age compared to American women.

Guichun told me the exact same thing about the bath and washing

cloths for the 1st month after birth. March should be a dream :D

How about ice and snow in winter here? No wonder my wife hates winter here.

I never tried to follow this Chinese medical advice. Now I recall my experience and it seems when I have the luxury of following it (by chance, such as having help around), I felt better. There might be some truth to it. Chinese wisdoms are not derived from anlytics but often from induction of accumulated experiences.

Ya'll are a wealth of information! I'll be helping with all the chores no matter what time of the month it is. If during her period, she's not feeling up to helping, it will not be a problem. I've done the chores myself for several years now, so it won't be a big deal not to have her help for a few days. Thanks again for all the great information!

As aye,

Jim

Texas Lee (TL), no problem...I appreciate your thoughts anytime!

I never tried to follow this Chinese medical advice. Now I recall my experience and it seems when I have the luxury of following it (by chance, such as having help around), I felt better. There might be some truth to it. Chinese wisdoms are not derived from anlytics but often from induction of accumulated experiences.

I have to admit that i feel better whenever I got 'non-cold' drinking... but could be psychosomatic...

I have to admit that i feel better whenever I got 'non-cold' drinking... but could be psychosomatic...

Have to admit, that lukewarm beer wasn't bad, David. :P

Damn Dennis a hot one will work too in a pinch :)

I knew a guy where I grew up who kept warm Schlitz under the seat of his car. And yes, he drank it that way.

Yuk!

I am glad that you started this topic. I thought my wife was NUTS!

She won't touch anything cold or hot durring her "cycle". In China, she won't eat hot pot because it's too hot (I would have thought it was because it was too spicy, be she says it's because of the heat)... Anyway, she won't wash the dishes. That's not much of a problem, I usually wash them (she cooks, and I wash).

Have to admit, that lukewarm beer wasn't bad, David. :P

Damn Dennis a hot one will work too in a pinch :ph34r:

I knew a guy where I grew up who kept warm Schlitz under the seat of his car. And yes, he drank it that way.

Yuk!

There were only a couple of times that we had a beer in Vietnam. They were anything but cold but we weren't complaining.

When we were stopped once for a few days while we worked our way through the remains of an old Korean mine field, our company gunnery sergeant made some raisin jack using water and sugar and raisins. He buried the plastic jug for a few days and then passed it around.

Now that might have helped a woman forget all about her menstrual period.

I asked Ping about it yesterday. She doesn't drink anything cold anytime, which I knew, but she doesn't avoid cold water on her hands during her cycle. She thinks it is a good way for Jiangyi to keep an old bull rider from straying from the kitchen. :P

Old being the operative word there.

I take my Shiner Bock, COLD. If it's an ale, room temperature is fine. If it is a lager, I want it cold. If it's a Guinness, I want it served at 54F.

As aye,

Jim