Using Cold Water During A Woman's Menstrual Period

I have a question for those guys that have their Chinese wives already over. I was chatting with my fiancee this morning about things we will be doing once she is here. She brought up a remark that I had never heard of and wondered if it were true with other Chinese wives.

She asked me that when she was having her monthly period, if I would help her wash clothes and do the dishes, etc. I said I have done these chores for many years and don't plan on stopping to do them once she arrives. I asked her why she asked, just during her period. She said that during her period she does not touch or drink any cold/cool water. To do so would be bad for her health. She does not wash clothes in cold water, clean dishes or any chore that involves the use or drinking of cool water while she is having her period. I have a gynecologist friend at UTMB that I want to ask that question to. I have never heard of this in any of my previous relationships including a Japanese. Doing the chores are not a problem, but it is a cultural thing that I had never heard of. Anyone out there familiar with this issue?

As aye,

Jim

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jim, My wife use to say the same thing basically. I understand that most Chinese women like to be pampered a little bit during this time of the month. I think that is the main issue as my wife now never mentions any of these issues now. She just carries on with her usual routine with no complaints. She has become acclimated into the American way of doing thing I guess.

Larry

Been with 3 different chinese girls... I have a little experience in this..

Beijing girl... just never drank cold anything anytime. Easy to get along with during period for the most part. Liked to sleep alot.

shanghai girl... Wow, the monster is lose. STAY back at least 100 feet at all times. She would drink about anything, but wash cloths and dishes.. haha.. she never did that anytime..

Current SO... wow, the kitten is tame. easy going all the time. headaches a little during period, but never really saids it. Will drink ice 7-up, but hot water is a must also, and that warm milk in the plastic bags... yuck... Current SO washes everyday... no matter what. I cannot keep her from washing even begging her not to when I am with her.

>L

Ling doesn't like cold water or anything cold any time of the month.

The same here, Curt. My wife drinks nothing but warm water all her life! That's amazing to hear! I love telling the nurses this when they ask initial questions about my wife at a doctor's appointment. I like seeing the look on their face!...lol!

They ask the routine questions; does she smoke?- I say NO; does she consume caffine?- I say NO, she hasn't even drank a coke! only water! The look I get from this is priceless!... :threeques:

The same here, Curt. My wife drinks nothing but warm water all her life! That's amazing to hear! I love telling the nurses this when they ask initial questions about my wife at a doctor's appointment. I like seeing the look on their face!...lol!

They ask the routine questions; does she smoke?- I say NO; does she consume caffine?- I say NO, she hasn't even drank a coke! only water! The look I get from this is priceless!... :lol:

Yes, Ling won't touch soda of any kind either. "CO2 takes away bones"....

She likes American fresh milk but won't drink it until it's been properly heated. Hot water is her primary drink--will rarely even touch tea-- "bad for blood"....

Edited by Ling-Curt (see edit history)

They ask the routine questions; does she smoke?- I say NO; does she consume caffine?- I say NO, she hasn't even drank a coke! only water! The look I get from this is priceless!... :lol:

Yes, Ling won't touch soda of any kind either. "CO2 takes away bones"....

She likes American fresh milk but won't drink it until it's been properly heated. Hot water is her primary drink--will rarely even touch tea-- "bad for blood"....

Limei is the same attitude about soda pop. She believes that it deteriorates the bones.

I have a question for those guys that have their Chinese wives already over. I was chatting with my fiancee this morning about things we will be doing once she is here. She brought up a remark that I had never heard of and wondered if it were true with other Chinese wives.

She asked me that when she was having her monthly period, if I would help her wash clothes and do the dishes, etc. I said I have done these chores for many years and don't plan on stopping to do them once she arrives. I asked her why she asked, just during her period. She said that during her period she does not touch or drink any cold/cool water. To do so would be bad for her health. She does not wash clothes in cold water, clean dishes or any chore that involves the use or drinking of cool water while she is having her period. I have a gynecologist friend at UTMB that I want to ask that question to. I have never heard of this in any of my previous relationships including a Japanese. Doing the chores are not a problem, but it is a cultural thing that I had never heard of. Anyone out there familiar with this issue?

As aye,

Jim

This is generally advised by doctors who practice Chinese traditional medicine.

Jun was the same way. No cold drinks, and especially nothing cold during her period. But she "Americanized". She still stops short of eating ice cream during "that time", but will only drink water and other things cold.

She would NEVER admit that to her mom though. :P

Jim, My wife use to say the same thing basically. I understand that most Chinese women like to be pampered a little bit during this time of the month.

I think you are probably correct, Larry. More than anything, Jim's wife is preparing him for her arrival. This is just a little test to see how he responds. I'd guess there's naturally just a wee bit of apprehension that causes her to toss out these little lures to see what comes back on her hook. I must say; Good Answer, Jim! :D

I said I have done these chores for many years and don't plan on stopping to do them once she arrives. :P

Edited by Dennis143 (see edit history)

Jim ... you've met my Lao Po ... I told her it was you asking the question and then asked it ...

The size of the grim was amazing.

She said ... "You tell our friend that Chinese ladies told me this also. You know I drink cold water any time. It does not cause a problem."

Lao Po is a California girl .... :wub:

Zhen is not a big fan of cold liquids either. She says cold milk upsets her stomach. I get home from work at 5:00 am and pour her a glass of milk and leave it on the counter so when she wakes up at 7:30 it is the right temperature.

Edited by Rakkasan (see edit history)