Thanks and one more question

Guest seafloor06

Guest seafloor06

I don't post here often but I appreciate that this forum exists. It's an excellent resource for information and people are friendly here.

Carol received her visa today (June 3). So, the "final" time line was:

NOA1 11/2002

NOA2 12/2002

P3 2/2003

P4 5/2003

Interview 6/2003 visa issued same day.

My question regards bringing her here. I plan to go to Shanghai to "pick her up". For her ticket here, should I purchase a one-way or a round-trip ticket. Is there an advantage/problem with one versus the other.

Again. Thanks to everyone for the support and information exchange. Good luck to those still in the queue.

First of all, congratulations on the visa. <_< :greenblob: :greenblob:

As to the ticket, I guess it would depend on whether you booked the ticket Stateside or in China. In the States, usually you can find a good deal on a round trip ticket, then maybe cash in the return flight. If you buy the ticket in China, it would be better to get one way because usually the round trip tickets over there are twice the price of one way.

Guest seafloor06
First of all, congratulations on the visa. <_<  :greenblob:  :greenblob:

As to the ticket, I guess it would depend on whether you booked the ticket Stateside or in China. In the States, usually you can find a good deal on a round trip ticket, then maybe cash in the return flight. If you buy the ticket in China, it would be better to get one way because usually the round trip tickets over there are twice the price of one way.

Thanks, Mick. You lived in Shantou, right? We went there last September and visited Nan'ao. The seafood there was outstanding. It's amazing to consider that a city of that size (much bigger than Boston, where I live) is not outstanding on a map of China.

Do they harass you at customs if you enter the country with a one-way ticket?

No, they will welcome you. <_<

The K-1( or K-3) visa holder should plan to live in the US and no question should be asked about one way ticket.

I'm no expert but I believe a K-3 is officially a "non-immigrant status" visa. If I'm not mistaken, the idea is that your spouse may come into the US in a similar manner to a student or tourist on a K-3 and wait for their I-130 (or other) application to go through procedures.

Even though you and everyone else knows the ultimate intent is immigration, you never know who you're going to get when crossing into the US. A "non-immigrant" with a one-way ticket seems like it's just asking for someone, who got up on the wrong side of the bed, to cause trouble... regardless of whether they are right or not.

No question "should" be asked. Doesn't mean they won't.

Again, I'm just speculating.

No, they will welcome you. <_<

The K-1( or K-3) visa holder should plan to live in the US and no question should be asked about one way ticket.

No question "should" be asked. Doesn't mean they won't.

Again, I'm just speculating.

one-way ticket is no problem. Stop worrying :greenblob:

Buying a one way ticket here and bringing it with you would be much cheaper, but this depends on which airline you are flying. You may want to check into some of these insurance polices to see if you buy a round trip and cancel the second half would get you a refund. Check around, right now tickets to China are fairly cheap and deals can be made.

For my trip out there this time my wife purchased a 1 way ticket via China eastern from LAX to Shanghai, which was cheaper than a round trip. I on the other hand bought a round trip ticket from Columbus to LAX which was cheaper for me....go figure.

Frankly I don't think there would be any problem at the POE whether you buy O/T or R/T. The idea of one way ticket is that she or he intent to immigrate here, not to PLAN ahead to go back in the very near future. I just don't feel very comfortable about purchasing a round ticket... Maybe I'm just superstitious.

First of all, congratulations on the visa. :lol:  :o  :o

Thanks, Mick. You lived in Shantou, right? We went there last September and visited Nan'ao. The seafood there was outstanding. It's amazing to consider that a city of that size (much bigger than Boston, where I live) is not outstanding on a map of China.

Yes, we lived in Shantou for four years. We generally liked it there and I had the occassion to visit Nan Ao. Really beautiful there, especially in the fall and spring. Pretty damn hot in the summer though. Shantou is a large city I guess although the campus of our university was well outside the city so we never seemed crowded unless we went downtown at rush hour. Glad you were able to visit there. Hope you get the issue of the ticket worked out ok. When we cleared customs back in March, they never even looked at her ticket.

Hi Robhon. you should be right about the K3. According to the law and most written material including memos from both Bush and Powell K3's are supposed to be non-immigrants as you describe. However, somewhere along the line DOS arbitrarily decided to make K3's immigrants and thus go through the immigration process. Therefore, there is no advantage to getting married and already being the wife of an American. :lol:

If we could have been treated as non-immigrants, as set forth by law, then I would have gladly fought the one-way ticket battle about 6 months ago. :o

Hi Robhon. you should be right about the K3. According to the law and most written material including memos from both Bush and Powell K3's are supposed to be non-immigrants as you describe. However, somewhere along the line DOS arbitrarily decided to make K3's immigrants and thus go through the immigration process. Therefore, there is no advantage to getting married and already being the wife of an American.  :)

If we could have been treated as non-immigrants, as set forth by law, then I would have gladly fought the one-way ticket battle about 6 months ago.  :angry:

The one advantage of being married is that you take care of the paperwork as you go and your wife enters as a permanent resident, not a "temporary permanent resident". That means that she recieves her green card and does not have to do the AOS. Also, if you are married in China, then you apply through the consulate and you don't go through a state-side center, you are processed through a Beijing office which apparently is not so overloaded as that is the one part of the process that went quickly and smoothly for us. About one month.

Getting married in China can range from next to impossible to very easy according to the local government. At the time I first visited, you were supposed to have a resident permit. To get that you had to have a work visa. To get that you had to be sponsored by an employer. We managed without that because she is related to the mayor of the city. I guess some people are managing it nowdays without the resident permit.

Guest seafloor06
Congratulations.

O/W and R/T are non-issues. But FYI my fiancee/wife came in with a one-way ticket. The issue is where you can find the best deal for aifare.

> O/W and R/T are non-issues.

This is the answer I was hoping for.

Does anyone have any experiences coming in on K-1 via San Francisco? I usually fly United through there.