Dental braces for your Chinese SO

My wife is very happy today because she just got braces. She doesn't like to smile too much because she is afraid of people seeing her crooked teeth. Does anyone's SO have or plan to get braces to straighten the teeth. Good investment to get her confidence.

My wife is very happy today because she just got braces. She doesn't like to smile too much because she is afraid of people seeing her crooked teeth. Does anyone's SO have or plan to get braces to straighten the teeth. Good investment to get her confidence.

My wife and will be going to the dentist to get some work done on the 26th. Two porcelain crowns for me and I'm thinking at least one porcelain crown or veneer for her due to a cracked tooth from a bicycle accident.

I think you can never go wrong getting braces. I bet she is excited!

Mine had braces when she was a teen, so her teeth are fairly straight... One thing she had never had though, was a teeth cleaning. Her teeth are very white and look to be in good health, but she was having gum pain. She had to have a "deep cleaning"...

The only tooth issue she has is, little notches in her 2 upper front teeth from constantly cracking sun flower seeds... It's kinda cute :huh:.

Our Chinese daughter had reasonably straight teeth but I knew, after she got to California, she'd want braces. So, with the concurrence of Lao Po, I was a little insistent that she get braces in China. As a K2, follow to join, she was able to wear her braces for about 14 months and had them removed just before coming to the US. Her teeth look perfectly straight and she wears a retainer at night. I brought this to the attention of our US dentist on her initial visit and he said her bite was good and the Chinese dentist had done a good job.

The cost of the work in China was less than 10% of what it would have cost in SoCal.

So if your sweetheart or her children could use braces and their corrections are not a real technical challenge I would strongly consider getting the braces in China.

Jim that is what Li Ren and I did. When she went back to China she had the braces put on there and stayed for 9 months.

Extremely cheep there. The braces were made in Germany very good quality. She had the 4 teeth removed there, no Novocain used. The bad part was that they put stainless wire on her braces to tighten them up and wax over these wires. That did not do much for protecting the inside of her lips as the ends of the wire stuck through the wax and into her lips. When she arrived here in the US the inside of her lips were in terrible condition she could hardly even talk. The dentist there was educated at Harvard and had just returned from a refresher seminar at Harvard.

Once here an orthodontist friend of mine removed the wire connected braces and put the kind on that use the rubber bands. She was so relieved. He agreed to do the complete job for $1200, 15 months. I thought that was very reasonable as everyone else wanted between $5000/$7000.

Then she had an abscess on one of the front teeth and had to have a root canal for that. $1200 more dollars. That went bad and she had to have an operation on the gum and remove some of the bone another $2200.

So I don¡¯t know if I saved anything or not. Poor girl had a bad time of it I can tell you that. I forgot to mention at the beginning that she had to have the deep cleaning done too, $3000 all the upper and lower teeth.

Somebody got a good down payment on a new Mercedes.

Moral of the story you can start out by just getting braces and wind up getting a lot more that meets the eye. However, as I said before she looks great now. She did all of this just for me and not at my request as I loved her just as she was. She wanted to look pretty for me.

Jun needed deep cleaning and root planing. Also discovered that the Chinese dentist who pulled one of her teeth left a root in. Another had given her a crown over a root canal that hadn't removed all of the root. She also had to get another root canal. The bridge she had was already chiping porcelin, but we left that in for the moment... yet her breath still occasionally smelled like death. Finally the wisdom teeth came out. That finally took care of it. That was just all the steps necessary to get to the stage that braces were feasable. And that chipped bridge still might have to be replaced... She'll have a $20,000 mouth.

OK ... if you want to talk about Chinese dentistry ...

Lao PO had

- 2 molars "pulled" with the roots left in

- 4 partial root canals, all of which will eventually need crowns

So we are working these off year by year to get max coverage on the dental insurance. She also had root planing. She's been flossing now for 3 years and her gums are in good shape.

For our daughter's braces we didn't go to the lowest price dentist in China ... we checked around and got a good one ... still only 10% of the SoCal price ... maybe we were just lucky.

One of the first things you want to do is to introduce flossing ... which I think may be almost unheard of in China. Bring floss ... I've never seen it for sale in China. At first she'll be shocked by the bleeding but in 2-3 weeks she should be OK. Lao Po says, "How did I ever live without doing this!"

My wife got her braces in March of '06 and she is hoping to be done in Oct '07. She has a chance - her teeth are moving quicker than the Orthodontist thought.

She doesn't like them (who does!) but she is happy we could get her teeth taken care of. She had overcrowding so two teeth were pulled and the remaining needed to be straightened.

I went to Dentist yesterday, and I have 3 teeth resin holes, and one th teeth resin anterior, I dont know how much my insurance paid, but I paid $148. I dont know why americans here have very white teeth, which i like very much, but we chinese teeth are darker, looks a little bit grey? Is it because of water system in china? my dentist said might be, he think here water are more purified. or maybe cos some medicine like two much anti-biotic we took when we were small? My denist said I have pretty good teeth comparing to my age :P but he dont know if bleach will help me have whiter teeth, but he said I can have a try, Guess what? try means money, insurance will not pay bleaching, the estimate will be $287 whole teeth. Also one nerve of my front tooth died 15 years ao, so it turned to dark. Dentist said better get a crown for it, it will cost $846, insurace only pay half of it. Kill me boy :sosad: :sosad: I called my parents last night. My mom said" dont waste any money on your teeth, you are chinese, so your teeth should be darker than american's that is matching?" lovely mom :lol: :D :lol: Maybe I should fix my teeth in China? but I do like dental equiptment here, much better than china.

I went to Dentist yesterday, and I have 3 teeth resin holes, and one th teeth resin anterior, I dont know how much my insurance paid, but I paid $148. I dont know why americans here have very white teeth, which i like very much, but we chinese teeth are darker, looks a little bit grey? Is it because of water system in china? my dentist said might be, he think here water are more purified. or maybe cos some medicine like two much anti-biotic we took when we were small? My denist said I have pretty good teeth comparing to my age ;) but he dont know if bleach will help me have whiter teeth, but he said I can have a try, Guess what? try means money, insurance will not pay bleaching, the estimate will be $287 whole teeth. Also one nerve of my front tooth died 15 years ao, so it turned to dark. Dentist said better get a crown for it, it will cost $846, insurace only pay half of it. Kill me boy :) :lol: I called my parents last night. My mom said" dont waste any money on your teeth, you are chinese, so your teeth should be darker than american's that is matching?" lovely mom :o :D :P Maybe I should fix my teeth in China? but I do like dental equiptment here, much better than china.

I see from a material that Chinese have more white teeth than Americans due to they eat more veges and less sugar. Your grey teeth is an individual feather. Good luck for the dental trip.

Smoking is the cause of stain in teeth.