immigration myths

The fastest upwardly mobile segment of the population is latino. Some of the hardest working people I have ever met. Please don't get started on latino bashing.

Just so you all know, as concerned and caring citizens with a clear understanding of the system and foreign spouses that come from a country with a strong work and educational ethic, you will get exactly the immigration reform requested by the Latino lobby. Get used to the idea.

Jim

Oh, don't jump to conclusions. I've said more than once that same thing. Plus, I have a lot of empathy for at least the Mexican population of the Southwest. It was their land before it was ours. As a resident of San Diego, I know that I'm the one that would be looking for the immigration visa if the US hadn't trumped up an excuse to go to war and swipe 25% of our country from Mexico at the point of a gun. There's nothing like a little gold rush to put the army in motion, eh?

It was their country, they never left and they never stopped thinking of it as their country. I can respect that.

That said, the map we all live with today says the best way for these people to improve their lives, today, is to learn English and try to assimilate. I have no racial or economic problems with Latinos. None at all. My single largest customer is a Mexican. He's a fine, fine person. Better than me, I can say that.

Jim

Edited by JimandSarha (see edit history)

Jim rants against Mexicans have started here before. When you say something like

Just so you all know, as concerned and caring citizens with a clear understanding of the system and foreign spouses that come from a country with a strong work and educational ethic, you will get exactly the immigration reform requested by the Latino lobby. Get used to the idea.
it doesn't sound very positive about them either.

Jim rants against Mexicans have started here before. When you say something like

it doesn't sound very positive about them either.

but when the current immigration bill is primarily concerned with illegal immigration, most all of whom happen to be Latino, too true.

but when the current immigration bill is primarily concerned with illegal immigration, most all of whom happen to be Latino, too true.

stereotype much?

technically you are correct, the majority are Latino but not overwhelmingly so.

The Pew Hispanic Center state that 57% of illegal aliens are of Mexican origin and about 24% are of non-Mexican Latin American origin. They also report that while the number of legal immigrants (including LPRs, refugees, and asylees) arriving has not varied substantially since the 1980s, the number of illegal aliens has increased dramatically and, since the mid 1990s, has surpassed the number of legal immigrants.
81% may or may not be "overwhelming" - it's still a lot

Aren't "ignorant" people fun to deal with? They only have one point of view (their own) and seem to ignore that anyone else might have a different opinion. Maybe your cousin should be reminded that all of us are immigrants to this country and that at some point in time, our ancesters lived in some other country and "immigrated" here to the USA. Speaking of American citizenship... the people who live in areas designated as American-held terroritories such as Guam, Wake Island, Puerto Rico, American Virgin Islands... have all the benefits of American citizenship without ever actually being one. My only take on immigration is that EVERYONE that immigrates here should go through the paperwork process and become legal... even if it takes many years. Crossing the border and entering this country illegally shouldn't be tolerated and those people should have NO rights in our country at all. They should be found and returned to their country of orgin. If they want to live in the U.S., then file your paperwork and wait to enter legally.

...She completely ignored that my ex is a legal alien and immediately lumped her into the illegal category. ...

Of course she did, that's because the media and those in favor of the "reform" have been lumping the two categories together to make their message easier to sell.

In the end it failed.