immigration myths

I received an email from a cousin today wanting me sign a petition making it a requirement that all aliens become a US citizen before being eligible to collect social security. Included was a long rant about illegal aliens. I wrote her back and told her I would agree with her as far as illegal aliens are concerned but I couldn't agree with her about legal aliens. I used my ex wife as an example since she has lived in the US for 30 years and is a contributing tax paying member of society who has never used social services yet never became a US citizen. This is what she replied.

Well Carl, I understand there are many different ways to look at things. and many people who would like to be a citizen, But tell me, how can your ex live 30 years in the US and continue to use the green card? I thought they were only for a certain period of time. And if she cannot bring herself to become an American why do you feel she should still get all the benefits of a legal citizen. If you really look at things, it seems to me as though we neglect our own people, but give the illegals all the rights in this country. Also Carl, If you married her, and was married over five years, is she not considered an American citizen?

Erma

She completely ignored that my ex is a legal alien and immediately lumped her into the illegal category. I did a little research and sent her back a link to this site

http://www.geocities.com/onemansmind/rb/Imig.html

Hopefully she will learn something. If not I hope I pissed her off bad enough she won't send me anymore asinine petitions.

Edited by warpedbored (see edit history)

I received an email from a cousin today wanting me sign a petition making it a requirement that all aliens become a US citizen before being eligible to collect social security. Included was a long rant about illegal aliens. I wrote her back and told her I would agree with her as far as illegal aliens are concerned but I couldn't agree with her about legal aliens. I used my ex wife as an example since she has lived in the US for 30 years and is a contributing tax paying member of society who has never used social services yet never became a US citizen. This is what she replied.

Well Carl, I understand there are many different ways to look at things. and many people who would like to be a citizen, But tell me, how can your ex live 30 years in the US and continue to use the green card? I thought they were only for a certain period of time. And if she cannot bring herself to become an American why do you feel she should still get all the benefits of a legal citizen. If you really look at things, it seems to me as though we neglect our own people, but give the illegals all the rights in this country. Also Carl, If you married her, and was married over five years, is she not considered an American citizen?

Erma

She completely ignored that my ex is a legal alien and immediately lumped her into the illegal category. I did a little research and sent her back a link to this site

http://www.geocities.com/onemansmind/rb/Imig.html

Hopefully she will learn something. If not I hope I pissed her off bad enough she won't send me anymore asinine petitions.

Why to go Carl, Right to the piont!

I guest one needs to have been there done that to understand

this Immagration process.

You did right, Carl. Whether she gets it or not doesn't really matter. What matters is you did your part in trying to educate her. Maybe, a seed was planted in her narrow mind...

Probably not. This sounds like a political ideology question. You can't argue politics to people. You can't even generally come to a reasoned agreement with most people on politics.

There are currently what 580 something members of congress?

They are some of the most highly educated (if not neccessarily intelligent) people in our society. They sit in the same building. They have staff who are generally even more finely informed on the issues than they are. They sit yards away from each other and argue thier points to each other using the most logical or emotional points the country can muster.

To what end? Arguing politics with people is about as effective as trying to play football and move the scrimmage line in a closet. Try it and you'll just wear yourself out.

I'd suggest just signing the petition and get along with your relatives. Why would I suggest signing the petition? Because petitions are what? Talking politics to your highly political government. They are serving special interests, not you.

I ignore the people at the grocery store and Walmart who ask me to sign stuff. Even if I agree with them. If my relatives or friends ask me to sign one, I always do. No matter how stupid and nonsensical it is. Nothing changes and my personal relationships are intact, my time isn't wasted by goobers at Walmart and the world rotates just like every other day.

Cynical? Oh no, I went right through cynical years ago.

And for those of you who remember my outrage at the immigration system, I've decided to just forget it. For a few weeks I was altruistic and forgot all of what I just said above. But the recent immigration reform attempt in Congress has reminded me just how little our government actually cares for America. If you can't afford to buy your representative, just bend over and ask them to kiss you first.

In other words, sign or don't sign, argue politics or don't. Every day another liberal or conservative dies and another one is born to take their place.

Edited by JimandSarha (see edit history)

When I tell people about all the crap we have to go through to help our SO's, most people respond, "Oh, I thought that since you are married, that she is given citizenship automatically."

I am glad you didn't sign the petition. My wife keeps asking me, "Darling, if I pay Social Security for a long time, will I be able to get it when I retire?" I agree with you that if someone is legal, and has paid in to the system, that they are entitled. She WOULD become a citizen, but she will loose her Chinese passport. Most people just don't understand what that means.

Before people get so passionate on either side about the immigration debate, they need to educate themselves. Honestly, I think that most/all of us are experts in this area. I wish friends/family would realise this.

Even if he or she has never worked under Social Security, your spouse can begin collecting the benefits as early as age 62. However, if the benefit begins early, the amount will be permanently reduced by a percentage based on the number of months up to his or her full retirement age. They can receive a benefit equal to one-half of your full retirement amount if they start receiving benefits at their full retirement age.

Proof of U.S. citizenship or lawful alien status if you (or a spouse or child applying for benefits) were not born in the U.S

http://www.socialsecurity.gov/retire2/yourspouse.htm

http://www.socialsecurity.gov/retirement/

If the petition passed the next petition would be to end naturalization.

Is your cousin on welfare? :D

No but her and her husband are retired and I presume collecting SS. She is just one of those fanatical Christian right type people.

If the petition passed the next petition would be to end naturalization.

Is your cousin on welfare? :D

No but her and her husband are retired and I presume collecting SS. She is just one of those fanatical Christian right type people.

Sounds like my sister Carl. I asked for help with our petition and she could not get involved with something like that, as she stated. But I get emails like that from her all the time. Too much damned money, and no sense. :)

The fastest upwardly mobile segment of the population is latino. Some of the hardest working people I have ever met. Please don't get started on latino bashing.

Just so you all know, as concerned and caring citizens with a clear understanding of the system and foreign spouses that come from a country with a strong work and educational ethic, you will get exactly the immigration reform requested by the Latino lobby. Get used to the idea.

Jim