Blue Slip - what to do next?

Thanks to all for the support of my rant. I'm done being pissed off. Now I want to kick ass and take names. So....here is the background, details of the interview and some questions to help me determine my next step.

BACKGROUND:

First time applying for a K1 Visa. I've been married twice before. Both American citizens. (hence the reason I am now looking in China :P )

Filed initial application 9/06. All packets arrived in what I consider to be the average amount of time based on what I've been reading on the web. Interview was set for 5/29/07. Which is the big reason for my over confidence that the interview would also go smoothly. Everything up until that point went through without a hitch.

Included divorce decrees, emails, phone logs, photos, description of how we met and when I asked her to marry me, copies of boarding passes/hotel receipts from my trip to see her, all the standard stuff you do to file for the K1 Visa. This was all reviewed and approved by the USCIS prior to being sent to GZ Consolate.

HER INTERVIEW:

She did not bring any of the stuff I sent in originally. But did bring additional documentation with her showing documentation since my initial filing. i.e. recent phone records, recent boarding passes/hotel receipts from my 2nd trip to see her in 2/07, etc etc.

She said it lasted about 15 minutes. Man asked her only a few basic questions. Is your fiance an American? Where does he live? How many times has he been married? When was his most recent divorce? How many children does he have? How old is his oldest child? How many years older than you is he? Who introduced the 2 of you? Do you have any hobbys in common? How much money does he send you each month?

She answered all of these questions truthfully and acurately.

He took the extra documentation that she brought with her. At this point he ended the interview and told her we did not have enough documentation. He handed her a form that says this:

"The consulate is unable to issue you an immigrant visa because according to the Immigration and Nationality Act listed below you are currently ineligible"

Below that was checked the box next to "221(g)" .... I assume the Immigration act referred to in the previous statement

Below this was checked the box that reads "for information and steps you can take to overcome this decision, refer to"

Below that was checked the box that reads "the attached sheets"

There were two attached sheets, with a bunch of items checked off that we needed. He did not explain anything on these forms to her. (which pisses me off). As I stated in my previous emotional post - 90% of the items he checked on these attached sheets were items that he should have already had. I filed these items with my original application (phone records, emails, plane tickets, hotel receipts, etc etc).

There were a couple requests on the attached sheets that I did not originally file and she did not have with her. Ex wives social security number. And that stupid request of a picture of me in front of a US post office.

MY QUESTIONS:

1. So what does this really mean? It says she was denied. But then says take these steps to overcome it. So who do I re-file with? And how? Via mail? Phone call? Email? Do I have to send the missing info in first - or do I just reschedule an interview and she brings the new info with her at that time?

2. How can I contact the consulat on this? Their web site only has a number to call for visa status information and they want you to deposit 54 RMB into some bank account to pay for 12 minutes of help. I'll give you 3 guesses as to what THIS did to my mood after reading it.

3. The ex wives SS number is a big problem for me. My most recent ex wife no problem. I talk to her often. We are on decent terms. But my first wife and I split over 16 years ago. I have not spoken with her since. I have no contact information for her. I do not technically even know if she is alive or dead. And while I do save tax records - I'm not so anal as to save them for 16 years. So I have nothing in my files with her social on it. I do have the old divorce decree (I got that from the county courthouse). But it doesn't have our socials on it.

4. Do you think I should hire an attorney at this phase? I thought I understood the process up until this point. Now I'm left wondering what to even do next. If the answer is "you need an attorney", then do you have contact information for one that you know (or have heard) is a decent one. Because I don't know any immigration attorneys and I'm hesitant to just "hire anybody".

Any and all help appreciated. I want to try to resolve this quickly - but don't want to step on any more land mines as I navigate this maze.

TIA

-Bill

My friend...

I went through overcome as well and I send you this advice.

"Calm down"

I know the emotions you are experiencing right now and that just clouds the fact that you need to follow the Denial letter to a T.

Break the letter down as a checklist and just start knocking off the requirements. The more difficult ones may need resource and you have a great resource here at Candle. Their are many members who have experience in overcome and just plain experience.

Hiring a lawyer is your choice but I did not need a lawyer and had 9 requirements on the denial. I feel lawyers just muck everything up even though there are some good ones for hire. The social security issue with an ex maybe a question for the officials at the consulate. You can even call the USCIS and get answers as well.

BUT REALLY... relax!!! :P

Good Luck

My visa application was denied. Where, when and how do I submit additional required documents?

You may come to the consulate to submit them. We will provide you a decision on your application the next afternoon. Please read the refusal sheet (blue sheet) for specific instructions. Re-payment of the visa processing fee is required if evidence to overcome a refusal is not made within one year of the date of last refusal; this fee will be collected for all cases in which the delay is not due to US Government processing.

guangzhou usconsulate faq

IRS transcripts

It's not much but that's all I can offer at this time. The IRS only goes back to 7 or 10 years on any records so they may not be able to help you get your ex's SS number.

I don't think you need to spend money on an lawyer. Just gather what is requested and submit it to the consulate.

I think you can email the consulate with any questions you have about the overcome.

-good luck

Do you have the original slips in hand? or does your SO have them in China?

Get a scanned copy if you can, or a word-by-word transcription, if not. Post it here so we can see exactly what you are being asked for.

GUZ has an email web-page where you can ask questions about your case - GUZ email

The one requesting a picture of you with a newspaper in the US doesn't make any sense. SS numbers for previous (other than your most recent) ex'es doesn't either. You can explain to them, as part of the overcome, that you no longer know how to contact them, if this is necessary.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

It seems that they are harder on cases where the US citizen has gone through a divorce, and want background info on the EX spouse, so want SSN for the EX.

SEE: http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=24285

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?...c=25178&hl=

2. How can I contact the consulat on this? Their web site only has a number to call for visa status information and they want you to deposit 54 RMB into some bank account to pay for 12 minutes of help. I'll give you 3 guesses as to what THIS did to my mood after reading it.

You can pay for it online (credit card) and have her call from within China. There's the option to speak English and Mandarin. Or, you can still call yourself but of course you'll additionally be paying the international telephone fees.

Basically, you'll get some codes sent to your e-mail account that you'll need when calling the Guz number.

http://www.usavisainformation.com.cn/eng/index.aspx

Bill,

All of us here can understand you are frustrated. I would be also if I was in your situation.

It seems most people get overcome appointments about 2 months after their initial interview, and by calling the number that requires a pin (and your money). The frustrating thing about that number is, sometimes when you call them, they will say there are no overcome appointments available, so you must call back again and again. Looking over other posts, it seems they fill the first-time appointments first, then the overcome appointments get what is left over (others please correct me if this is not true).

She did not bring any of the stuff I sent in originally.

Was she asked for anything that she was not able to provide that should have been with that original packet?

She said it lasted about 15 minutes. Man asked her only a few basic questions. Is your fiance an American? Where does he live?

It seems from what is on your blue slip, and from the questions here, he is questioning your domicile for some reason. Any other CFL'ers know why this would be questioned?

Who introduced the 2 of you? Do you have any hobbys in common? How much money does he send you each month?

Which part of China is your fiancee from? If she is from Fujian and some provinces around this part of China, there is more fraud, and they tend to be more careful.

He took the extra documentation that she brought with her. At this point he ended the interview and told her we did not have enough documentation.

Did he review the documentation she submitted before handing her the paper?

MY QUESTIONS:

1. So what does this really mean? It says she was denied. But then says take these steps to overcome it. So who do I re-file with? And how? Via mail? Phone call? Email? Do I have to send the missing info in first - or do I just reschedule an interview and she brings the new info with her at that time?

Firstly, many people who are denied initially are approved during their overcome appointment. As painful as it seems, the best advice is to give them exactly what they ask for. And you must use that number to reschedule an appointment with them.

2. How can I contact the consulate on this? Their web site only has a number to call for visa status information and they want you to deposit 54 RMB into some bank account to pay for 12 minutes of help. I'll give you 3 guesses as to what THIS did to my mood after reading it.

Yes, and you might have to try several times to get that appointment, so be prepared for this. Look at other posts and you will see that others had this happen to them also.

3. The ex wives SS number is a big problem for me. My most recent ex wife no problem. I talk to her often. We are on decent terms. But my first wife and I split over 16 years ago. I have not spoken with her since. I have no contact information for her. I do not technically even know if she is alive or dead. And while I do save tax records - I'm not so anal as to save them for 16 years. So I have nothing in my files with her social on it. I do have the old divorce decree (I got that from the county courthouse). But it doesn't have our socials on it.

This request from them seems to be bizarre but is more and more common. It is very reasonable that you wouldn't have this information. After all, when you divorce, your lives separate. And 16 years apart is long enough for this request to seem irrelevant to your current relationship.

Others mention that people who are divorced get additional scrutiny, but those who are divorced more than once get more than others, it seems.

If at all possible, I would suggest in your case to be there with her during her next interview, and possibly attend the American Citizens Hour on Friday afternoons at the consulate if at all possible. They can answer your questions directly.

4. Do you think I should hire an attorney at this phase? I thought I understood the process up until this point. Now I'm left wondering what to even do next. If the answer is "you need an attorney", then do you have contact information for one that you know (or have heard) is a decent one. Because I don't know any immigration attorneys and I'm hesitant to just "hire anybody".

I wouldn't hire anyone. But I would encourage you to attend American Citizens Hour sometime before your interview. If you can show respect to them at that time (I know it seems difficult to do this now), they can give you answers that can help your case. And, after you are together, this episode will be only a distant memory.

Was she asked for anything that she was not able to provide that should have been with that original packet?

Not that I have been able to determine. She said he only asked those few questions I listed and she was able to answer all of them. He did ask for my ex wives SS#s - which she could not answer. Apparently that was the end (or the beginning of the end) of the interview.

Which part of China is your fiancee from? If she is from Fujian and some provinces around this part of China, there is more fraud, and they tend to be more careful.

She is from Nanning.

Did he review the documentation she submitted before handing her the paper?

That I cannot answer. She said "I gave him the papers I had". She did not say at what point in the interview she gave it to him or if he reviewed it. She did tell me that he told her that the emails from my mother to Jianhong he did not need and gave back to her. This disturbed me. Certainly, letters of support from my mother to my fiance would be pertinent to show we have a valid relationship.

But regardless, the fact that he did this impies to me that me must have looked at what she gave him.

If at all possible, I would suggest in your case to be there with her during her next interview, and possibly attend the American Citizens Hour on Friday afternoons at the consulate if at all possible. They can answer your questions directly.

This is good advice. I'm a workin man. Not one of those rich Americans :happydance: But I do not want to risk another rejection. So now a trip over to go to the interview with her is looking like a good investment.

Thank you all for your help and emotional support.

-Bill

Thanks to all for the support of my rant. I'm done being pissed off. Now I want to kick ass and take names. So....here is the background, details of the interview and some questions to help me determine my next step.

This is exactly what we want for you as well.

Getting pissed off helps sometimes because now your in the mood to kick a little...

As you already see, we'll help you where ever we can.

Several of us have wives from Nanning.

Some of us got through 1st time.

Others, including Carl (warpedbored), had to face overcome.

MY QUESTIONS:

Blue slips just means temporary denial. You may overcome with additional evidence marked on the form. The real problem would be if the paperwork was a white slip indicating they were sending this back to USCIS. Since it doesn't, you should have no problems overcoming without a lawyer.

You can contact them through email or using American Citizen Hour at the consulate. The visa service can not help you with infomation. DOS would be much better help and the call is free, but you must call this service to schedule her overcome interview. Keep trying until you get one.

A lawyer is needed if you have extenuating circumstances. You don't seem to have any. The trip I Love Sunshine suggested seems like a better investment. If you go, make sure she takes your passport in to the interview with her and has it on top of the documents. This makes sure the VO knows your there.

Good luck,

I was in Dallas today with my kids for adjustment interview and this is what our Immigration Officer said: "Persons that hire lawyers either have something to hide or they're just to stupid to fill out the forms correctly." "I'm always leary when people bring lawyers. I'm more likely to dig deeper."

I don't know how the subject came up. Maybe it was the comment I made about all the sharply dressed-useless looking men and women in the lobby... :o

I have developed a good relationship with this person. Same IO that approved my wife and has called my cell to ask questions and give advice. It's all been good! I want to be careful about what I ask. Don't want to jeopardize what I have.

Edited by esun41 (see edit history)

It seems that they are harder on cases where the US citizen has gone through a divorce, and want background info on the EX spouse, so want SSN for the EX.

SEE: http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=24285

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?...c=25178&hl=

it is a mystery to me as to why they would need the exwife's SS number if they have you divorce decree and your most recent 3 years of tax returns .

I had to do an overcome an they wanted information that was given to them orginally .

We just redid everything again added some more pictures - about 50 more

and walla!

we got the pink slip

I also think it helped that I flew over to China 4 days after we got the blue slip .

The one thing that will happen is that you will have a different VO reviewing your overcome and I think that does help .

I know the anger and frustration you are going through , these VO's seem to have complete control of your life and destiny -but only for a very painful short time .

Really wish you the best of luck

it is a mystery to me as to why they would need the exwife's SS number if they have you divorce decree and your most recent 3 years of tax returns .

I might be wrong, but it seems like this new request for ex's SSN and whereabouts started last year. Last year, they busted a marriage ring in "Operation Newlywed Game".

http://www.ice.gov/pi/news/newsreleases/ar...731santaana.htm

I read somewhere that some of the facilatators were found to still be living with their ex-spouses.

They change their tactics after these busts. They incorporate things they learn. Unfortunately those of us who are legit must suffer because of those trying to fraud the system.

As I coached ESun after his blue slip and then later received two blue slips myself:

Break it down. First; get copies of what the paperwork actually requests. Go after each item individually and thoroughly. Do not embellish or add anything not requested. The picture in front of the post office sounds funny. Are you sure that they don't want a picture of you both in front of a Chinese Post office? I have previously recommended to everyone to take a picture in a Chinese bank in front of the exchange board with the date clearly shown.

Did you buy a house with your oldex? Maybe her SSN is on some old document. If not, state that you don't have it and why. Be clear and concise.

The call line charging 54RMB is just to reschedule an interview date. Get ready to pay a couple of times. Get over it; Get ready to be told - "No dates available". I paid for three times just to get a date 6 weeks later. Have all you paperwork ready, some have come much quicker.

ACH seems to influence the VOs. Don't discount it and make certain that an entry in your computer record is made.

Take each request and knock it down. Follow the instructions to the Tee. Tenacity is noticed.

My SO is from Nanning. Sometimes I think that they are just testing our will. And, as many before me have echoed, it will all be worth it when she arrives. It will happen. After two years of delays and glitches at every step, I as others, can tell you that these are times that will try your soul. Now is the time to be a ROCK.

Good Luck!

Philb

Mike's (c4racer) advice was right on the money. They want the ex's SSN because they believe you may still have a relationship with her and you are faking the relationship with your sweetheart. Probably they are most concerned with your most recent ex. Give them what you can. If your haven't seen the 1st ex in 16 years and have no idea of her where abouts tell them so and give them as much information as you have. Relatives could make notarized statements that they know you haven't seen her in years. Be thorough and try and detatch yourself from the issue emotionally. Look at it as a cold hard reality and attack each issue one at a time. Give them what they want, check your anger and do your absolute best. I concur with Ilovesunshine that it would be a good idea to be there for her overcome interview. Most blue slips are overcome. I only know of 3 in the four years i have been reading this forum that werent.

I once read David Z advising others to look at the interview as a two or three part process in our goals of the visa for our loved ones.

I have listened to that simple statement, taken it to heart and conveyed it CLEARLY to my girlfriend/wife, and found that it has taken most of the stress of the upcoming interview off of us both.

Sure, we would love to get a pink slip and the visa at the interview, but my lady well understands (now) that I will be there with her for the interview and if she gets a blue slip...no worries, I'll be right back for the overcome interview, holding her hand.

I know it sucks to get slapped in the face with that blue slip, but this ain't no footrace. Just get those simple items asked for, write a short letter about the first wife, wait out the 2 or more months to get an appointment, and she will get the visa.

You'll be laughing about this ordeal one day soon.

Good luck to ya,

tsap seui