Who has driven in China?

Lao Po has told me, we will have a car available when i get to her city. The problem is I'm very leery about driving in China. there seem to be no rules, but the saving grace is they drive slower there. Is my liscense good there? But just the same, I very unsure if i want to drive a car there. If the car is a manual transmission, I can't drive it... at least not very good. Opinions?

Driver's Licenses

Courtesy of ChinaNews, December 29, 2006

Foreigners Can Apply for Temporary Driving License in China.

Foreigners who have driving license issued by their home countries can apply for a temporary driving license and

drive in China without having to take related tests, according to a clause in a regulation issued by the Ministry

of Public Security. The regulation will start to take effect from January 1, 2007, the Beijing Youth Daily reported.

The regulation, which deals with the management of automobiles and foreigners that come to China for a short

stay, stipulates that the valid period for the temporary driving license should not exceed the period marked in

the entry and exit certificates, and the temporary license can be valid for three months at most. The valid period

can not be extended. In addition, the temporary driving license should be used together with foreigners' driving

license issued at his or her home country and foreigners should always take these two licenses with them, in case

traffic police ask them to show these licenses at any time.

Although foreigners who have obtained their driving license at home can get their temporary driving license in

China without having to take related tests, they need to attend lessons to study Chinese road safety regulations, before they can drive in China. And they can only drive small cars or automatic-gear cars.

If foreigners will stay for a relatively long time in China, they can consider obtaining an official driving license in

China. To do so, they should take their foreign driving licenses and valid ID cards to the automobile

management bureau, fill up the automobile driving license application form, take related physical examination,

and attend a traffic regulation test. Once they have fulfilled all these procedures and passed related tests and

exams, they can get the official driving license issued by the Chinese government.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Regulation for Foreign Vehicles And Drivers

Courtesy of Xinhua News Agency, December 13, 2006

China has issued a new regulation on foreign automobiles and drivers in an effort to improve road traffic safety,

according to the Ministry of Public Security (MPS). The new regulation will go into effect on Jan. 1, 2007.

The existing law dates from 1989 but is seen as outdated for dealing with rapidly growing trade and traffic, the

ministry said.

A large number of foreign passenger and freight vehicles cross into China at border zones for short periods, the

ministry said.

Foreign vehicles temporarily entering China must be covered by automobile liability insurance and automobile

safety and technical inspection certificates.

The regulation also requires foreign vehicles to use designated areas and routes and leave China by a certain

date.

Statistics from the MPS show that in 2005, vehicles driven by foreigners caused 95 traffic accidents leading to 28

deaths and 90 people injured.

Taking into account all road accidents in China during the year, , a total of 40 foreigners died along with 198

injured.

Foreigners visiting China for a short period must either drive automobiles brought from outside China or rental

cars. Authorized rental cars are compact models.

Foreigners holding an overseas driving license can obtain a temporary driving permit after being trained in

China's traffic law and regulations.

The new regulation will govern day-to-day foreign vehicles and drivers in China. Foreign journalists driving in

China during the 2008 Olympics will be treated as "special cases", the ministry said.

China will adopt the standard International Olympic Committee practices of convenience, the ministry said.

I only have two words to say when it comes to driving in China...

HELL NO!!!

These are my real feelings, but I would be in Beihai, a small city. It would be convienant as i could see some of the countryside, but I must say I'm scared as heck to do so. I'm a good driver, but people turning and doing as they feel is scary.... my nightmare, I will be stuck in an intersection, FROZEN and afraid to move.

Edited by NewDay2006 (see edit history)

HELL NO!!!

These are my real feelings, but I would be in Beihai, a small city. It would be convienant as i could see some of the countryside, but I must say I'm scared as heck to do so. I'm a good driver, but people turning and doing as they feel is scary.... my nightmare, I will be stuck in an intersection, FROZEN and afraid to move.

Having driven in Japan, New York and Tijuana, I'd drive in China. The new law is great news.

David can't you put that info into the FAQ?

HELL NO!!!

Do what you want to but I would not want the liability myself, I have been to a few countries for General Dynamics and Lockheed, there was one guy that hit a girl and killed her in Turkey and it was not pretty at all, he was lucky that GD was building the F16 and had very good lawyers and a very nice repore wiith the Government of Turkey ect ect ect. The bottom line on his case was that GD got him out of country as soon as they could. Hit someone and or have a wreck and see what happens(even if it is not your falt). Hell, one guy in Egypt was in a taxi and the driver had a wreck, guess who was blamed :blink:

Edited by hakkamike (see edit history)

Lao Po has told me, we will have a car available when i get to her city. The problem is I'm very leery about driving in China. there seem to be no rules, but the saving grace is they drive slower there. Is my liscense good there? But just the same, I very unsure if i want to drive a car there. If the car is a manual transmission, I can't drive it... at least not very good. Opinions?

Charles,

Most of the times I have been to China I drive. Go to AAA get international license. Approach dealerships outside of major hotels. For a token gratuity, and basic rental fees (although prorated for Laowei's) , driving is is very easy.

However as may other posters have said, it is luck of the draw. You have an accident, YOU will be held accountable. No matter whose fault. Goes without saying throughout the Far East.

Driving is dependent on you and your confidence on your driving abilities. The countryside not as big of a problem. City, I shut it down and let the taxi driver do the driving.

BTW, getting a rental moped is akin to going to Hell and throwing lard under the runners trying to go faster. There is no protection. You still will be held accountable, etc, etc

IMHO, you might want to have your SO contract a driver with a verbal contract. They can drive you for less that $20.00 a day, they carry the burden of insurance and have to deal with the cops. All you have to do, is have your SO or yourself make arrangements with the driver when and where to pick you up. Generally, you pick up the driver's meals.

Just other options for you.

Charles,

Most of the times I have been to China I drive. Go to AAA get international license. Approach dealerships outside of major hotels. For a token gratuity, and basic rental fees (although prorated for Laowei's) , driving is is very easy.

However as may other posters have said, it is luck of the draw. You have an accident, YOU will be held accountable. No matter whose fault. Goes without saying throughout the Far East.

Driving is dependent on you and your confidence on your driving abilities. The countryside not as big of a problem. City, I shut it down and let the taxi driver do the driving.

BTW, getting a rental moped is akin to going to Hell and throwing lard under the runners trying to go faster. There is no protection. You still will be held accountable, etc, etc

IMHO, you might want to have your SO contract a driver with a verbal contract. They can drive you for less that $20.00 a day, they carry the burden of insurance and have to deal with the cops. All you have to do, is have your SO or yourself make arrangements with the driver when and where to pick you up. Generally, you pick up the driver's meals.

A AAA international drivers license is NO GOOD in China

Edited by hakkamike (see edit history)

A AAA international license is NO GOOD in China

This has been discussed before - China is one of the countries that DOES NOT recognize an International Driver's License. That doesn't mean that you can't carry it around in your pocket while you rent and drive a car.

I've driven in China but not in the city center traffic. No way in hell would I risk that.

The rules of driving are totally contrary to the US. Might is always right. I was in a mini van on a two lane highway outside of town and had a bus make a left turn right in front of us. The driver had to brake as hard as he could to avoid t-boning the bus. The same thing happens in the city, you also have mopeds coming off the side walk in front of you with no warning......you better avoid running them over.

Don't risk ruining your trip.....take a taxi or bus.

Charles,

A AAA international drivers license is NO GOOD in China

Agreed about international license. However money talks and BS walks. IMHO, they would rent a car to Cheetah (from Tarzan) with an international license or a license from Nebraska.

I already did this. The rental agency around the corner from the Minshan Hotel, in Chengdu. They only asked if I was a good driver.

Thank God, I left my white cane outside and showed the them the ominipotent universal sign of unlimited Visa. Already been there and done that.

Same advice applies, you drive, you wreck, you Laowei, you pay! His choice whether he drives or not! Shanghai, Beijing, Shenzen, I use the driver option! I may be stupid!

However, I ain't crazy!

I travel internationally on business all the time. I drive in many 3rd world countries.

I will not drive in China and I recommend that, unless you are a long term resident, you do not drive also.

As others have reported, the International Driver's License is not recognized by China. If you have been there you will realize that driving is crazy, to say the least. There are no rules when you are really out there.

Take the bus ... it's much safer.

HELL NO!!!

Easy Rider China/Born To Be Wild!

Im not a motorcycle nut,but what a trip that would be,driving from DongBei clear across to XinJiang.

Since we all intend to be married to a Chinese person,it should be no problem to buy the decent inexpensive motorcycle.

I have been everywhere in China,but its still difficult to cut the embilicle cord connecting me to the cities,bus stations and hotels.

If you can get out and really have contact with the rural people of China,it would be a great experience.

Driving a motorcycle in the remote Western provinces should not be so dangerous.

I think much safer than bicycle touring in China.