Has your SO gained weight since being here

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Being in a car culture, if you are seen walking down the sidewalk from the store with a bag of groceries you are seen as either strange or a poor immigrant. It is ok however to walk if you are wearing expensive leotards and running shoes and pumping little weights. Our cultural attitudes should change and we might save some energy and thin some waistlines

I should have also asked ,does she go to a 'GYM'. It must be interesting to see everybody going to these gyms and still be so out of shape. In China not many gyms and everybody is skinny.

I am ok for a 44 year old guy in the U.S.A but in China I am a beached whale. She drops hints in the form of being concerned for my health or talking about a kinfolks 'blood sugar' problem. I think it is funny.

I sometimes wonder if the name she gave me 'Kangjie' actually means fat something or other instead of healthy and outstanding.

The length of time they expect/want/wish to spend with us is directly proportional to our health.. Anything that can be done to ensure 'another day together' will be important in their eyes.

---

Funny someone should just mention walking... we just got back from about a 1-2 mile walk to the supermarket.. and bought too much stuff for walking pleasure! Although we are in a chinese community, so at least we were not alone in the walking...

This reminds me of when me and my SO went to meet her parents at a restraunt 'near' her apartment in Shenzhen. We were site seeing in another part of town and took the Taxi to meet them.

After we ate, we walked back to the apartment 'because it was so close' I would guess we walked 1.5 miles or so and up 3 flights of steps.

Her dad and mom are in there late 60's and her mom has a bad hip.

They walked it like it was nothing. MY SO walked it in heels and a dress.

I was sweating when I arrived because it also seemed humid on top of everything else.

You're a brave man Don

Kangjie's post reminds me of my first trip to China when my wife took me to meet her mother for the first time. We went to this fairly tall apt building and started up the stairs. Hmm methinks she must live on the second floor or we would take the elevator. The second floor comes and we keep on climbing, Hmmm maybe the third floor. After the 5th floor I think I'm getting altitude sickness or something. After about the 7th floor I lost count of how many after that. Finally we reach the correct floor and I am trying my best not to show how out of shape I am. I'm dizzy, gasping for breath and sweating profusely. A fine sight for her mother to see for the first time. We go in the apt and thankfully I am offered a seat on the couch. Afterward I asked my wife if her 74 year old mother makes it up and down those stairs every day. She assured me that she did. Amazing to me they make these tall building without an elevator. No wonder they are so slim.

My SO has been here for a little over two weeks and already thinks she is overweight. She looks great and I keep telling her that if she decides to lose any weight she will disappear :P

I'm curious. I have seen a few very large chinese kids here in America but hardly any when I was in China.

How is your wife or her kids handling the weight problem with a Mcdonalds in front of them every 15 minutes and a little change in there pocket.

My SO actually thinks she is fat. I said Just wait till you get to America

When Xiahong got here, she was like 103 ~ 105 lbs and ate like a hog. So the scale started groaning and I'm guessing 135 ~ 140 now. All I know is that she keeps buying larger sized clothes. She's still skinny by comparison to most American gals her age.

So I call her Fat Ass to encourage her to diet.

You so sensitive. :P

My wife gained weight the 6 wks she was here. She tried to be too American and avoided Chinese food until Houston trip.

I was watching a program on TV about our country being over weight and becoming diabetic etc etc. Asian immigrants have a huge problem with this, the report was showing. They really seem to take to American food too much and really get fat and sick. I noticed in the DFW area Asian store how the Asians didn't look very healthy, young (looked their age), or slim. Down in Houston they looked better to me. Maybe it is the availability of their own food. Houston has a huge china town compared to anything in DFW area. (Just my casual observation, I am the sickest looking one in any store)

• 1 month later...

The food served in America is always XXL compared to what we have back in our contry. Meats are abudance and low price here. How could we not put on weight? I have put on 20 lbs since I arrived 2 1/2 years ago.

I bet you still look thin compared to Americans.

The food served in America is always XXL compared to what we have back in our contry. Meats are abudance and low price here. How could we not put on weight? I have put on 20 lbs since I arrived 2 1/2 years ago.

Leiqin is 48 years old and is very petite. She complains that she's got a pooch (pouch?) now, ie a little (I mean very little) mid-drift bulge.

She and a 60 something, very thin Chinese woman were complaining of their bulging mid-drifts the other night after ESL. :ph34r:

Yes, most American women would die to have their bodies at their ages.

I bet you still look thin compared to Americans.

Look like the Asian Fat as decribed by my Amercian friends. :lol:

why I was so unlucky? When I moved here,the first one month I gained 2 or 3lbs, I was 120lbs, now I am 124lbs. Only time I lost my weight is when I was sick and didnt eat for 2 days, I was 117lbs. :D but after I was recovered, I gained back again.

i ran or walked a lot in china. I became lazy and didnt do any excersice at all.

I noticed one thing my 2 stepchildren only like eating meat, no vegetable. even one is 12 years old girl. The pork they eat one meal is equal to one week meat cooked for family in China. I doubt how they can diagest it? When I eat too much meat, I have stomach problem.

why I was so unlucky? When I moved here,the first one month I gained 2 or 3lbs, I was 120lbs, now I am 124lbs. Only time I lost my weight is when I was sick and didnt eat for 2 days, I was 117lbs. :D but after I was recovered, I gained back again.

i ran or walked a lot in china. I became lazy and didnt do any excersice at all.

I noticed one thing my 2 stepchildren only like eating meat, no vegetable. even one is 12 years old girl. The pork they eat one meal is equal to one week meat cooked for family in China. I doubt how they can diagest it? When I eat too much meat, I have stomach problem.

Since I arrived here, almost everyday I have stomach problem. I suspect maybe the water because my husband not used of me boiling water. At first he asked me to drink the hot water from the hot tap. No way I will drink tap water. Chinese don't like to drink tap or cold water. Do u boil water to drink in US?