Has your SO gained weight since being here

I'm curious. I have seen a few very large chinese kids here in America but hardly any when I was in China.

How is your wife or her kids handling the weight problem with a Mcdonalds in front of them every 15 minutes and a little change in there pocket.

My SO actually thinks she is fat. I said Just wait till you get to America

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most of our wives do put on a few pounds once they get here. Difference in life style. Here we drive everywhere we go but in China they walk more and have to climb up and down stairs to get to their homes. Not likely she will become obese though and a few pounds doesn't hurt.

so maybe the original question is a bad question... and should be: Are our SOs able to maintain their same weight in china without the need of hours of exercise :roller:

My wife's has fluctuated as she has slowly discovered what most every retired football player lineman has found out: If you reduce your calorie burning activities (football or walking/biking miles a day for work in china), you MUST reduce your eating. Now, when she goes back to china, she (we) gains weight as everyone wants to eat to excessive celebrations...

I've seen Chinese children here who've immigrated from China and are now into the American fast food lifestyle and it shows.

I believe that overall, Chinese have a different metabolism than Anglo's. They seem to tolerate foods without the weight gain that many Euro-Americans seem to.

My wife is 48, so a bit of weight gain is expected for her age. She probably tips the Toledo at ~106. She claims she was ~101 when she arrived 6 years ago.

Being in a car culture, if you are seen walking down the sidewalk from the store with a bag of groceries you are seen as either strange or a poor immigrant. It is ok however to walk if you are wearing expensive leotards and running shoes and pumping little weights. Our cultural attitudes should change and we might save some energy and thin some waistlines

Being in a car culture, if you are seen walking down the sidewalk from the store with a bag of groceries you are seen as either strange or a poor immigrant. It is ok however to walk if you are wearing expensive leotards and running shoes and pumping little weights. Our cultural attitudes should change and we might save some energy and thin some waistlines

I should have also asked ,does she go to a 'GYM'. It must be interesting to see everybody going to these gyms and still be so out of shape. In China not many gyms and everybody is skinny.

I am ok for a 44 year old guy in the U.S.A but in China I am a beached whale. She drops hints in the form of being concerned for my health or talking about a kinfolks 'blood sugar' problem. I think it is funny.

I sometimes wonder if the name she gave me 'Kangjie' actually means fat something or other instead of healthy and outstanding.

Edited by kangjie (see edit history)

I should have also asked ,does she go to a 'GYM'. It must be interesting to see everybody going to these gyms and still be so out of shape. In China not many gyms and everybody is skinny.

I am ok for a 44 year old guy in the U.S.A but in China I am a beached whale. She drops hints in the form of being concerned for my health or talking about a kinfolks 'blood sugar' problem. I think it is funny.

I sometimes wonder if the name she gave me 'Kangjie' actually means fat something or other instead of healthy and outstanding.

The length of time they expect/want/wish to spend with us is directly proportional to our health.. Anything that can be done to ensure 'another day together' will be important in their eyes.

---

Funny someone should just mention walking... we just got back from about a 1-2 mile walk to the supermarket.. and bought too much stuff for walking pleasure! Although we are in a chinese community, so at least we were not alone in the walking...

We thought we had a buyer for our mtn home, last night. After I gave the news to Leiqin she says to me; "You sell home because you lucky. Fat man lucky!! If you skinny, you no lucky!" Compliments like that I can do without. :roller:

Really, no weight gain on her, but she is adding on the "poundsen" to my hiney. <_< "jao zi, bao zi," go figure. :jerry:

Daaaaa dooooods!!!! :lol:

Biga Boss, good luck, and all that. Ear lobes too G.

Jie dances for about an hour or two a day. Never sits still. She also is doesn't eat much American food.

Now, I have found that she can tear up some cornbread. She likes frenchbread, and othe breads too. Today she was eating a cornbread stuffed inside a french roll "ham bow bow." :blink: ;)

Just a matter of time, I figure. :o

Still love her, no matter what. :rolleyes:

Pssst, once she passes the 102 lbs mark every once in a while.. :ph34r:

Man oh man! :D

No complaints here,,,,,,,, at all!