Renew of the GC... I-90 or I-751?

Wife entered the States with K1. Received GC on April 2005, the GC is expiring on Apr. 26, 2007. The receipt with the GC said filing I-90 for replacement. Should it be I-751 or I-90? Anyone knows which form should be filled. Anyone used I-90 instead of I-751 for renewing the GC (K1 when admitted to the States) ? By the way, how can one tell if the GC is a conditional one? Thanks in advance for info.

Lee is right: The instructions that you got are the generic instructions for a 10 year unconditional card, not the 2 year conditional one that you have, you need to file to lift conditions on the card using I-751, this will result in a 10 year card being issued. Failure to file I-751 WILL result in deportation procedings.

Complete instructions can be found here:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...p;page=751guide

Then in 10 years time you can use I-90 to renew, or better yet you may consider naturalization a year from now, and then not have to renew any card in 10 years time.

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)

Here is another question I have been wondering. The instructions say to have 2 affidavits from close friends of the relationship. Is this a specific form or can a letter written from them suffice, as long as its notorized? Thats what I did, and I mail my stuff this week..

Hmm... damn government paperwork...

:lol:

Here is another question I have been wondering. The instructions say to have 2 affidavits from close friends of the relationship. Is this a specific form or can a letter written from them suffice, as long as its notorized? Thats what I did, and I mail my stuff this week..

Examples of the letter can be found here: http://www.visajourney.com/examples/I-751_support.doc Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)

Letter written from them and signed. Affidavit just means this is their sworn testimony. Hence the need for it to be notarized.

• 2 months later...

By all means.....get the I-751 filed NOW. You really don't want to go through the hassle if the two year card expires. It may be more than a hassle.

I am on it....

Did anyone submit another copy of marriage cert? It seems rather redundant

No need to send in a copy of the marriage certificate unless you just want to.

BY the way, at the AOS interview for the 2 yr GC, after you pass the interview, the officer stamped something as a gc on ur passport then took away the I-94, right? he took mine.

They may or may not take the I-94. If they don't and you are approved and get a green-card, you can remove the I-94 and do what ever you want to with it, perhaps put in in a scrap book. This is the case with those who get approved without interview.

A person with green-card has no use for the I-94 departure record, they are no longer a non-immigrant, so when they do depart the USA on a trip would not be turning in a I-94 anyway.