Hate Chinese Beds

Most of us know Chinese sleep on beds made of plywood and maybe a 1/4 inch thin piece of egg crate foam which really doesn't do much since it's not thick enough. This is the type of bed my wife used in Nanning at her apartment when awaiting the visa. She thought it was comfortable. I visited twice. My bones ached and I never got a very good sleep. Here in America we have a fairly firm mattress, but it is easy to sleep on by my standards.

My wife and son have been in Nanning for a couple of days now. We talked on the phone yesterday. She told me, "Laogong. I never understood the reason you could not sleep very well the last two times you were in Nanning. Now, I understand. My bones ache. I think I need to go buy a thick mattress so I can sleep. I know you will need it also when you get here."

I thought this was just too funny not to share. So my wife is now Americanized. She can no longer sleep comfortable on a normal Chinese bed. :huh:

Edited by C4Racer (see edit history)

Oh, they call those "beds".

A foundation of crushed rock or a similar substance for a road or railroad; a roadbed.

A layer of mortar upon which stones or bricks are laid.

A rock mass of large horizontal extent bounded, especially above, by physically different material.

A deposit, as of ore, parallel to local stratification.

Ah, I guess it makes sense then. :P

Here's a question for all:

Does your Chinese SO primarily or only sleep on their backs? I dare them to sleep on their sides on those beds. :D

I was always up half the night because of back problems . We flew back to Beijing together before I flew home. I told yan I did not care how much I paid for the hotel room but I needed an american bed to sleep in before I made the flight home. After spending 4 hours on the internet .she made reservation. (no way were we going to spend 80 dollars for a hotel room. ) Yes no american bed either plywood... my poor back

Guest knloregon

Yes Michael,

Turn about is fair play!

Sure, I went 45 years wearing my shoes in the house, only to find out that when my SO arrived I "naturally" didn't want to wear them in the house ever again.... :cheering: So if she finds that the "western" sleeping arrangments are more "naturally" to her liking.... who are we to complain? :lol:

my wife's bed was always lumpy... one day I had enough of it and had to find out why... she comes walking in the room as I'm pulling off all the sheets... then I look up at her in disbelief and said, "We're sleeping on clothes?!" :huh: We laughed for weeks afterwards by repeating this line...

The 'padding' was nothing more than clothes/sheets/towels folded... If she needed a sweater, I had to move the clothes around to get some 'padding' again... eventually we got an inch pad.

I like Chinese beds. If you sleep on it enough, you will like it. :rolleyes: :lol:

How long is enough :( The beds are probably my major complaint. I'd lay out pillows on the bed and put the sheet over them. That let me get to sleep but still often woke up with pains. Those would go away after a bit of stretching.

Yes Dennis on back and rarely moves. I'm on my side and "move too much".

Most of us know Chinese sleep on beds made of plywood and maybe a 1/4 inch thin piece of egg crate foam which really doesn't do much since it's not thick enough. This is the type of bed my wife used in Nanning at her apartment when awaiting the visa. She thought it was comfortable. I visited twice. My bones ached and I never got a very good sleep. Here in America we have a fairly firm mattress, but it is easy to sleep on by my standards.

My wife and son have been in Nanning for a couple of days now. We talked on the phone yesterday. She told me, "Laogong. I never understood the reason you could not sleep very well the last two times you were in Nanning. Now, I understand. My bones ache. I think I need to go buy a thick mattress so I can sleep. I know you will need it also when you get here."

I thought this was just too funny not to share. So my wife is now Americanized. She can no longer sleep comfortable on a normal Chinese bed. :rolleyes:

Another Chinese ruined by Americanization :lol:

Hmmm .... on my first visit to Lao Po in China ... seems a long time ago ... I did have a little trouble with the bed. It took maybe a week to get used to it.

I like a firm bed but I was worried about what Lao Po would think of our bed in California ... no problem, she slept like a baby.

Then we traveled back to China. Unlike some others in this thread we had no problem switching back to out Chinese bed.

I our case I think maybe it's just love. Lao Po and I can sleep anywhere as long as we are together. :rolleyes: