Books on American Culture...?

My SO spends time in the book store in Nanning to seek books that will help her with all she wishes to learn of America and our culture, etc.

She can read English fairly well, but think that any book to intellectual will be a bit of a struggle for her.

I post to ask if anyone can recommend some good reading on any topic that will enlighten her learning of America? Perhaps books that your SO has read that they enjoyed in the past or are reading now.

Thanks for any suggestions you might provide. I would love to track them down and send them on to her.

Clayton

My SO spends time in the book store in Nanning to seek books that will help her with all she wishes to learn of America and our culture, etc.

She can read English fairly well, but think that any book to intellectual will be a bit of a struggle for her.

I post to ask if anyone can recommend some good reading on any topic that will enlighten her learning of America? Perhaps books that your SO has read that they enjoyed in the past or are reading now.

Thanks for any suggestions you might provide. I would love to track them down and send them on to her.

Clayton

Interesting question. First thing that pops into mind are Mark Twain's Huckelberry Finn and Tom Sawyer novels. How about Gone With The Wind? Of course there's always the many romance novels, but not so sure what cultural lessons she might gleen from them. :lol:

I took a variety of American movies over and left them. I have also sent many issues of "The Asian Reporter" for Ling and her family to read about the Asian community here in Portland. The rest will just have to be culture shock with me as her primary therapist.....

First thing that pops into mind are Mark Twain's Huckelberry Finn and Tom Sawyer novels.

Excellent choices. I put Tom Sawyer right up there with the Old English King James Bible as required reading.

Send her your states driver handbook and have her take driving lesson after driving lesson in China. What can you do in America without a car?

It is alway sgood ot know some rules of etiquit(sp :lol: ) even though none of us follow them. I say this because wife was scolding daughter about leaving her unused arm in her lap at the dinner table. I never did clear it up with the wife.

I don't know if you want her to know so much. Oh well, burn her bras and divorce herself of womanhood and teach her how to fill out a check and use a credit card. These were the first things came to my mind. Just Kidding

Actually I was thinking of some history books or citizenship books. Maybe Dennis has a lead on that. ;)

Interesting question. First thing that pops into mind are Mark Twain's Huckelberry Finn and Tom Sawyer novels. How about Gone With The Wind? Of course there's always the many romance novels, but not so sure what cultural lessons she might gleen from them. :P

While Huck Fin and Gone with the Wind might be good examples of classic American literature, I doubt they will give any help in dealing with modern society. The romance novels might actually help more, at least on the home front.

Here's what I did the last trip in China. I went to Wal-Mart (yes, they have one in Shenzhen!!) and picked up about half a dozen American movies that are translated into Chinese. My SO speaks some English, but probably not enough to fully comprehend a modern movie. Things like "Failure to Launch", "Chasing Liberty", "How to lose a guy in 10 days", "Wedding Crashers" ... basically, romantic comedies with useful information in the background about how couples deal with the world around them. You might even try to find some translated documentaries from the History Channel, although my attempts at this so have not been successful.

Hope that helps!

Edited by Kevinf (see edit history)

Clayton

Find a good high school or college text book on American history for her to read.

Thanks so much for all the suggestions. I now have plenty to consider with the list of 100 I now have.

I will follow up on the high school books that will give her what I feel she is seeking. Great suggestion. Thanks tywy_99.

I have also checked into Asian newspapers in my area, but needless to say, Nashville is a bit scarce in this department. Wish it wasn't. But, I will save some of the local newspapers to take with me for her to read to familiarize her with the city I soon hope her to join with me in.

Clayton