Becoming Chinese...

:ph34r: Laopo was the first to notice it but now it has become obvious even here on CFL...I am becoming Chinese... :V: :o I bet I am not the only one here making this transition... :huh: Here are some of the things I have noticed and some others that simply...AIN'T GONNA' HAPPEN... :P

Chopsticks...I have found that I now have actually become more clumsy with a knife and fork than with chopsticks.

Chinese cleaver...Why do I have all those other useless knives when you only need this one?

Socks...I still wear 'em...sorry.

Girlfriends...Don't have one and never will... :D

Food...I actually get naseous when I see one of the gigantic pieces of meat that Americans routinely eat...Give me the Chinese way please... :) although I still have NOT sucked the marrow out of bones with a straw... :blink:

Tea...On my first trip to China I had to have some sweetener with my tea... :lol: Now I drink puerh, green and white (all brewed properly of course) just plain and love 'em.

Teapots...Stll don't drink tea out of the spout of a Yixing teapot though... :roller:

Cars...Can't wait to buy a new Honda at the dealer in Yuxi, Yunnan and then go right next door and have it accessorized... :o You know the matching seat covers, pillows, steering wheel cover, drapes, dingle balls, etc... :P

Language...I am afraid that I am just not gonna' learn much Chinese ever... :( Which only means I have to keep laopo at my side always... :wub: :wub:

Toilets...Our apartments will NOT feature the traditional squat style toilets thank you very much...

Hotels...I don't mind one whit that in our hotel room the bathtub/shower drains onto the floor and maybe eventually into a floor drain or that the thermostat is just there for my amusement and has nothing to do with the temp of the room... :lol:

Things as they are...I am at peace when in China, I don't care that everything is not done the way it is in the US...I accept China for the differences and have learned to enjoy them...I feel more at ease there and tend to just not worry about things... :D

Fingernails...I did try letting a little fingernail grow long and it is handy for picking one's nose but it's just not me... :unsure:

I also will NOT be leaning over to blow my nose into the street nor hawking up great balls of phlegm to spit on the sidewalk but neither does it keep me awake at night when I see others do it... :o

In my heart of hearts now the US is a great, safe and boring country... :o China is a not so great but tremendously alive one, full of unknowns and uncertainties...where will it go I do not know but I plan to be there to enjoy the ride... :) :V:

I bet ya'll have a million more things you've noticed about how China has changed you too... :o

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good write-up, Rog. Yeah, I mentioned the transistion that's come over me here once too. I'm still healing from the scars that David inflicted over the post. :roller:

It ain't just a one-way street in learning culture. I don't think real relationships can avoid adopting their partner's ways and habits. I know I'll never be Chinese - my group of friends call me loawei (yes, even here in the US) and I'll always be an 'outsider', but that's OK too.

But dang, if nothin' else, I know I'd have a hard time livin' without my sticks. Yet, I still need my fix of a nice, lean and bloody steak ever now and again. But, then it now just feels odd to not have slippers on feet while at home...

Darn Roggie I think you have out done yourself!!

Dam good write up as Dennis said and as bad as I hate to

say this I agree with most of what you said....

Not all but most.

shhhh don't tell others this, someone could start a Rumor.

but like Dennis I still need my fix on some nice TEXAS corn feed beef!

Bobby....

Edited by sleepless in Houston&CQ (see edit history)

Pardon me, excuse me, forgive me, but I must have to say that I agree with Roger (sorry Roger). I have made some transitions too. Eating with a fork is unusual, eating with chopsticks has become natural. I am learning to speak, read, and write Chinese, although I am still clumsy with all 3. However, my Chinese writing is better than my english. Tofu: something I swore I would never eat, is actually now a request. I also love my veggies cooked crunchy with garlic and cannot eat veggies cooked the american way.....so soft and squishy. Yuk.

But best of all......is I can belch out loud now and instead of reaping the wrath of satan (exwife) for being disgusting, my belch now brings a smile! Yes, what is usually a natural male reaction to good cooking, a happy and full stomach, as well as something that men (boys) are proud to show off, is also something that is considered disgusting in America. But now my belch is a sign of content for her cooking, that I am happy and satisfied with the food she made. (No joke).

Gotta admit, I dont think I can do the bone marrow thing either.

Edited by ameriken (see edit history)

:roller: Yes, I too, have developed a few Chinese Ways about myself;

* I tend to ignore lines and want to elbow my way to the front, disregarding those who have patiently waited their turn....and rudely interupt the person helping someone else with my demand.

* I yell loudly at the waitress in a restaurant to bring the bill when I am ready to leave.....and don't leave a tip!

* I like to see if I can get to a seat on the bus or subway before a woman or young child can get there.

* I would never dream of holding a door open for someone behind me!

Hey....I'm well on my way!!! Don't ya think???? :roller:

PapaBear :roller:

:P Yes, I too, have developed a few Chinese Ways about myself;

* I tend to ignore lines and want to elbow my way to the front, disregarding those who have patiently waited their turn....and rudely interupt the person helping someone else with my demand.

* I yell loudly at the waitress in a restaurant to bring the bill when I am ready to leave.....and don't leave a tip!

* I like to see if I can get to a seat on the bus or subway before a woman or young child can get there.

* I would never dream of holding a door open for someone behind me!

Hey....I'm well on my way!!! Don't ya think???? :P

PapaBear B)

Not really sure you've picked the very best things to learn Michael... :drunk:

Learning to haggle will transition you.

I once watched my wife go back and forth with a cab

driver for 15 minutes just to shave 2 yuan off the fare.

A matter of principle I guess.

My wife spent days negotiating price on the apartments we bought... :whistling:

But she just doesn't think that I can "cut the mustard" in negotiating Chinese style... :wub: so I'm told to just "get lost" when she's sealing the deal... :whistling:

My wife spent days negotiating price on the apartments we bought... :whistling:

But she just doesn't think that I can "cut the mustard" in negotiating Chinese style... :wub: so I'm told to just "get lost" when she's sealing the deal... :whistling:

When we go back to Shanghai next week, we intend to buy a few thing we need and may hit some markets to find them. My wife told me stay clear of her when she goes to make the purchases......not just because I am bad at haggling, but also because when they see a foreigner, the price has a tendency to go up about 1000%! Edited by ameriken (see edit history)

My wife spent days negotiating price on the apartments we bought... :D

But she just doesn't think that I can "cut the mustard" in negotiating Chinese style... :V: so I'm told to just "get lost" when she's sealing the deal... :D

When we go back to Shanghai next week, we intend to buy a few thing we need and may hit some markets to find them. My wife told me stay clear of her when she goes to make the purchases......not just because I am bad at haggling, but also because when they see a foreigner, the price has a tendency to go up about 1000%!

It's nothing personal... :huh: It's only that ALL foreigners are stinking rich!!! :D :lol:

My wife spent days negotiating price on the apartments we bought... :blink:

But she just doesn't think that I can "cut the mustard" in negotiating Chinese style... :V: so I'm told to just "get lost" when she's sealing the deal... :blink:

When we go back to Shanghai next week, we intend to buy a few thing we need and may hit some markets to find them. My wife told me stay clear of her when she goes to make the purchases......not just because I am bad at haggling, but also because when they see a foreigner, the price has a tendency to go up about 1000%!

It's nothing personal... :huh: It's only that ALL foreigners are stinking rich!!! :D :lol:

Uh, yeah, thats me... :wacko: