One Strike, You're Out

Here is a good reason to get Naturalized ASAP

One Strike, You're Out

The government's gotten tough on immigrants—and not just illegal immigrants.

Many people here legally with green cards are being deported because the government claims they've committed "aggravated felonies,” which you would think would be serious crimes like murder and drug trafficking.

http://cbs5.com/30minutes/30.Minutes.Bay.2.447545.html

{Edit} broken link

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)

Great post dnoblett... the article certainly does make some good points. Let's hope the media attention on this Indian farmer's case makes a difference.

I have seen similar problems and saw individuals deported. My work is on Government facilities. Many contractors hire migrant workers, when these workers are checked if there is one flow with there papers they are detained and deported. Last year there where 14 workers detained and deported on one day. It is very important to have the documents correct and complete.

Reading stories like this makes me think that the statement "America - The Land of the Free," is becoming less true each and every day.

Don't get me wrong, I love our country, but laws like these have the potential of eroding all for which we stand.

Edited by Juette (see edit history)

Reading stories like this makes me think that the statement "America - The Land of the Free," is becoming less true each and every day.

Don't get me wrong, I love our country, but laws like these have the potential or eroding all for which we stand.

You are right... "potential" is a good word. But to be honest, I think the principle of the law is good. If you commit a felony as a green-card holder, we have no incentive to keep you here.

The problem is how it is implemented... there seem to be some complexities and challenges that are not considered by "the system".

We do live in a country where we are free to contact our legislators about the poor implementation. Thankfully we have a free press that can assist in highlighting the obvious injustices... yet for every 2 of unwarranted deportations, I'd bet we have 70 completely warranted deportations.

Don't get me wrong, I love our country, but laws like these have the potential of eroding all for which we stand.

yet another nail in the coffin..... :blink:

• 2 months later...

I love the idea of America... too bad it is not in practice anymore. Everytime I hear someone say how thankful they are to live in a "free country like America" I have to :cough: America is no longer free... its a corporate dictatorship

"But in 1996 Congress broadened the law. And worse, they made it retroactive. Which means now immigration authorities can look back twenty, thirty, even forty years¡ªand virtually any minor offense, like drunk driving, even shoplifting, is enough to get a longtime resident deported."

I thought the constitution contained a clause the saif something to the effect that Congress shall pass no ex post facto law. No laws after the fact or retroactive laws. CERCLA (superfund) was retroactive and had to be passed under the wars powers act as a national emergency in order to target people who polluted ground, air and water prior to the laws enactment. Surely the lawyers in these cases are making this arguement.

I guess I will need to talk to Zhen about citizenship when she arrives. I believe she has 3.5 years after we are married before she is eligible.

Good article.

Resident aliens can be deported for something as simple as failing to file their income taxes when they should. A mistake on deductions could result in a tax evasion charge which if convicted would mean deportation. My wife will apply as soon as she is eligible. The anti immigration folks are doing well and your politicians don't give a damn. They don't want to be seen as soft on immigrants.

Resident aliens can be deported for something as simple as failing to file their income taxes when they should. A mistake on deductions could result in a tax evasion charge which if convicted would mean deportation. My wife will apply as soon as she is eligible. The anti immigration folks are doing well and your politicians don't give a damn. They don't want to be seen as soft on immigrants.

Resident aliens can be deported. Illegal aliens are free to do as they please. Hmmmm

I guess I will need to talk to Zhen about citizenship when she arrives. I believe she has 3.5 years after we are married before she is eligible.

Good article.

She will become eligible to apply for citizenship 3 years from the date her green card is issued.

A good reminder ... thanks for posting it Dan.

I went over this again last night with Lao Po. She slowly shakes her head and finds it hard to believe. She has always intended to apply for citizenship as soon as she is eligible and this just strengthens her resolve.

Yes this post needs to be refreshed from time to time.