american appearance

Yesterday I went to SSN office and finally done my SSN paper with my maiden name. I found most americans dont wear nice clothes, most are very shabby, slobby. When I sit there, honesetly I didnt feel I am in a devloped country, I wondered why some people think american is best country, look at these american people, they look like poor farmers in China. One thing I noticed we chinese more care about our appearence. We like to wear nice clothes. Maybe that is a reason why clothes in China is more expensive than the US. Of course I mean compare to chinese salary.

Any thoughts men?

Yesterday I went to SSN office and finally done my SSN paper with my maiden name. I found most americans dont wear nice clothes, most are very shabby, slobby. When I sit there, honesetly I didnt feel I am in a devloped country, I wondered why some people think american is best country, look at these american people, they look like poor farmers in China. One thing I noticed we chinese more care about our appearence. We like to wear nice clothes. Maybe that is a reason why clothes in China is more expensive than the US. Of course I mean compare to chinese salary.

Any thoughts men?

Paula,

Who did you see this way, the workers or the other people getting SS?

Government works should be presentable ¨C If you were here Houston the majority of the people there would be people from Mexico and would be workers or laborers who will NOT be wearing the best clothes.

Anyway, 10 or 15 years ago men here in US use to wear nice shirts and ties all the time. I really can¡¯t explain why they slack (don¡¯t care) off now. Maybe because it¡¯s a different generation.

Also, here in the last 10 years or so, we Americans tend to use Friday as a casual dress day in which we wear clothes that are comfortable and not wear ties that may choke us.

Others may explain better.

This is only my opinion.

I've never been one to worry about what others thought about my appearance. I dress clean but comfortable. I've only worn a tie a few times in my life. Suits and ties are very inefficient for anyone but those who sit on their butts all day or who's essential business success depends upon impressing or intimidating someone. Nice Dockers and long sleeve shirts for winter, Dockers and Hawaiian shirts for the warm half of the year. I've only got one life to live. I will be comfortable as much as possible.

Paula,

I would agree that the average american does not dress as nicely as the average chinese... we do it if we must for work :D seeing that I work from home, you'd never tell that I do any work based on how I'm dressed all day :D

And we're not as 'face' driven in our culture.. so no need to worry about the presentation and what others think, say as much as it is an issue in china...

This has not deterred my wife.. she'll wear simple chinese dresses all over the place.. and let's just say that all the shabby dressers (or those wearing belly button showing shirts) suddenly take notice of the different more refined 'presentation' .. :D

Any thoughts men?

Paula, Most people who are at the SSN office are poor and may be living on a fixed income provided my the SSA; therefore, their clothes are indicative of it.

Yes, appearance is very important to Chinese. A couple years back, the owner of my company required all of us to wear ties. I posted a picture of me in a tie on AFF, when I was looking to meet Chinese women. I didn't realize it until much later the importance and impact of wearing a tie in my pictures meant.

American men can poo poo the idea of dressing even business casual while visiting China. But, if they really want to make an impression, stay away from flowered shirts, baggy pants and shorts, tank tops and dress to impress, as they DO judge a book by its cover.

Dennis, very good points. Also, I'd like to add that we in the good ole USA judge a book by it's cover, too. During the week, I'm in a business suit and tend to get treated with respect wherever I go. When I'm on a personal day wearing my cargo shorts, a tshirt and tennis shoes, I get treated differently.