Western food

While I was in China my SO and I ate some very fine Chinese food. I remember before we parted company, we had lunch and she stated that she was a very good cook. My hotel had a restaurant which served western style food, but she did not seem interested in trying it out.

I know that when she arrives, my diet will consists mainly of Chinese food and to be honest it will probaby be healthier than some of the crap that I am eating now. What have been some of the experiences of members with trying to get their SO's to eat western food?

Side note: I had read somewhere that Cheese was not part of the diet in China. I tried to describe cheese to my SO the other day during a phone conversation. I had a real tough time and finally gave up :roller:

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I was in China my SO and I ate some very fine Chinese food. I remember before we parted company, we had lunch and she stated that she was a very good cook. My hotel had a restaurant which served western style food, but she did not seem interested in trying it out.

I know that when she arrives, my diet will consists mainly of Chinese food and to be honest it will probaby be healthier than some of the crap that I am eating now. What have been some of the experiences of members with trying to get their SO's to eat western food?

Side note: I had read somewhere that Cheese was not part of the diet in China. I tried to describe cheese to my SO the other day during a phone conversation. I had a real tough time and finally gave up :o

SO and me trade-off very much in this matter.She cooks as good as ANY resturuant in China,and would actually rather cook here at home than go to a resturuant.She LOVES hotdogs,Twix candy bars (ofcourse she quite due to "inflating"),Cheeze-Its,Sweet Lebanon Bologna sandwiches,Grape soda,Taco Bell,my home made chile and BBQ chicken,cole slaw,tossed salads,Cheetoes Cheese Puffs,many other "fat western foods".She does know what to indulge in and what not too.She came here w/ an open mind and I try to let her try everything as I did when I was in China for awhile.We both think it's very cool "trading off" our cultures and cuisines.

Wow! That is quite a list of heart healthy western cuisine :o My SO is from Wuhan. Maybe it was my lame discription of cheese which she was unable to understan. I tried the McDonalds approach but it did not seem to work. Another member gave me the Chinese word for cheese, so I think I will try again tonight :o

Side note: I had read somewhere that Cheese was not part of the diet in China. I tried to describe cheese to my SO the other day during a phone conversation. I had a real tough time and finally gave up :P

SO and me trade-off very much in this matter.She cooks as good as ANY resturuant in China,and would actually rather cook here at home than go to a resturuant.She LOVES hotdogs,Twix candy bars (ofcourse she quite due to "inflating"),Cheeze-Its,Sweet Lebanon Bologna sandwiches,Grape soda,Taco Bell,my home made chile and BBQ chicken,cole slaw,tossed salads,Cheetoes Cheese Puffs,many other "fat western foods".She does know what to indulge in and what not too.She came here w/ an open mind and I try to let her try everything as I did when I was in China for awhile.We both think it's very cool "trading off" our cultures and cuisines.

Side note: I had read somewhere that Cheese was not part of the diet in China. I tried to describe cheese to my SO the other day during a phone conversation. I had a real tough time and finally gave up :o

Her lack of interest in trying western food at your hotel might have been that she knew it was very expensive. At least I've found western food to be far more expensive in China than even the highest price Chinese food. Just a thought.

My wife and daughter have always been interested in trying different western food. Sometimes they like it and sometimes not. Neither will eat any cheese I've offered if it goes in their mouth alone but they don't have a problem with cheese in Mexican food. They both drink milk and will use a little sour cream on a baked potato. Yogurt they like. Neither particularly likes to open wide for a bite of a thick hamburger or other sandwich.

I still haven't figured out why they like a bland soup so much but want to add Hot Pace Picante sauce or Jalapenos to just about any other more subtly flavored fare.

We have western food and Chinese food in turn, and sometimes we even try Thai and Japanese food. My favorite western food includes pizza, pasta, hot dog, French Fries, and even KFC famous bowl(having mashed potatoed, cheese, fired chicken, corn). My husband's favorite Asian food are Chinese noodle soup with Shanghai Bokchoi, shataki, and egg, Tom Yum(Thai soup), and Sushi. Both of us like cooking so we cook in turn. Tonight we are going to have spaghetti, skyline chili.

Sh is nic and slim and I hope she stays that way. The other day she told me she was eating too much and her parents told her she was getting fat. When I told her that I liked that she just laughed. :o

McDonalds and at least one pizza chain are well known in the larger Chinese cities. Have her ask her friends about them or have her try one out. Of course if she is not plump enough for you, get her hooked on western food.

My wife seemed to have a predetermined idea of western food and told

me many times she would not eat it :o !

When she first arrived, everything I cooked for her was "so so". After about a month,

she tells me western food is "not so bad" and a hell of a lot easier to cook :P . Now she

uses the oven,broiler or plain old frying pan just as much as her wok.

I still bust her chops about it because she hates to be wrong, but she LIKES western

food! Now, in any given week it's about 50/50 what she cooks.

Ooopps....

I think it might be off to the culture discussion.

Jie has this same "pre-determined" notion about "Western Food."

She does not eat many things because she will get fat, well this is the answer I get. :o

She is not here yet, a few more weeks. :D

But, in many cases I have taken my co-workers from Shanghai to eat at many homecooked resturants they say, "this like China food, I like."

This is Southern Food, or Soul food. "Cheap it is," and very different from main stream resturants in the US. My friends are from various locals in China, they usually stay for 3-4 weeks at a time, and we frequent the same place often at their request. :roller:

Make them Fat? Maybe? :roller:

No problem,

Lao po can cook her greens, I will cook my "ro". :D

(meat) :D

Thanks for the tip. Just got off the phone with Yang Bo. After several attemps at pronouncing "Nai Lao", she finally got it. She says she likes it "a little", but her 4 y/o daughter loves it. :roller:

Tell her it is "nai lao" (cheese). People from southern China in particular tend to have a hard time with diary products. But if she is from Inner Mongolia, she would love it.

Nick

Ooopps....

I think it might be off to the culture discussion.

Jie has this same "pre-determined" notion about "Western Food."

She does not eat many things because she will get fat, well this is the answer I get. :o

She is not here yet, a few more weeks. :D

But, in many cases I have taken my co-workers from Shanghai to eat at many homecooked resturants they say, "this like China food, I like."

This is Southern Food, or Soul food. "Cheap it is," and very different from main stream resturants in the US. My friends are from various locals in China, they usually stay for 3-4 weeks at a time, and we frequent the same place often at their request. :roller:

Make them Fat? Maybe? :roller:

No problem,

Lao po can cook her greens, I will cook my "ro". :D

(meat) :D

Are you talking there or here? I am curious what they liked? Can you elaborate?

PS: I see some sorta new folks. Welcome to CFL. Hope your journey is smooth.

Edited by SheLikesME (see edit history)

When I cooked two turkeys with all the trimming for about 50 Chinese, here in SoCal last Thanksgiving, most would only take small portions of it and stayed mostly with the Chinese dishes that were brought. When a group of my Chinese friends took me out to The Black Angus for dinner, they asked what I suggested they order. Of course, I suggested what I ordered; steak, salad, baked potato with butter and sour cream. No one and I mean no one touched their pototo except for maybe a small bite. They all enjoyed their steaks.

Chinese are very proud and protective of their food.

After eating almost exclusively my wife's, our friend's and Resturant Chinese cooking for over a year now, I'd have to say that Chinese food is lighter and more varied. However, my wife will eat food that I just refuse to eat. Either I don't like its flavors or it is too great a hassle to deal with the bones. She will cook meats with a lot of fat on it. Seems the fat give Chinese dishes there flavor. She uses a lot of oil and salt. Both of which I have had a year-long struggle for her to reduce. As far as American food, she will eat steak and salad, stews, spighetti, Mexican, burgers etc, but only if nothing Chinese is available. I cooked some quesadillas for her one afternoon (cheese & salsa wrapped in a tortilla). I learned real fast my wife is lactose intolerant PeeeeUuuuu. :sosad: Poor girl. :P

Side note: I had read somewhere that Cheese was not part of the diet in China. I tried to describe cheese to my SO the other day during a phone conversation. I had a real tough time and finally gave up :P

I forgot (how dare me) ,she loves spagetti and home made salsa and chips.Yes,she loves hot and spicey dishes.....so do I (namely "Guangzhoe hot-pot),and a REAL SNACK TREAT are fish steaks or sardines in hot suace that come in a can... :sosad: