Is xmas only for kids?

It's the Xmas day here in china, all the K1 fiancees in china happily talking about what kind of gifts they got from their american fiances , I felt a little bit lost as I didn't get any gift from my SO, So I gathered all my guts to ask my SO to buy me some gift. I don't really care what he buys me but the thought that counts. A bunch of flower or a box of candy will make me happy enough. I want to know that he cares about me, thinks about me all the time, especially in the big day for amercians. So I asked him gingerly" Can you buy me some xmas gift?" He told me a DVD player he bought me one month ago is a xmas gift, I argued it can not be considered as a Xmas gift since it was way before the Xmas. Then my SO got irritated and said that I have problem that I ask him to buy things for me and that Xmas is just for kids, no adults will get gifts on the day, I'm not supposed to ask him for xmas gift.

Since I'm chinese so I don't really know ameican custom, so what he says is true

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's the Xmas day here in china, all the K1 fiancees in china happily talking about what kind of gifts they got from their american fiances , I felt a little bit lost as I didn't get any gift from my SO, So I gathered all my guts to ask my SO to buy me some gift. I don't really care what he buys me but the thought that counts. A bunch of flower or a box of candy will make me happy enough. I want to know that he cares about me, thinks about me all the time, especially in the big day for amercians. So I asked him gingerly" Can you buy me some xmas gift?" He told me a DVD player he bought me one month ago is a xmas gift, I argued it can not be considered as a Xmas gift since it was way before the Xmas. Then my SO got irritated and said that I have problem that I ask him to buy things for me and that Xmas is just for kids, no adults will get gifts on the day, I'm not supposed to ask him for xmas gift.

Since I'm chinese so I don't really know ameican custom, so what he says is true

Christmas in our family has always been a time for gift giving for all ages. Sure the kids receive many more gifts than the adults, in fact I just helped Santa arrange the special gifts for our son a few minutes ago. For some reason he was a bit late getting to our house tonight. But some of the best gifts are given between adults.

This is our son's first Christmas in the US and at age 10 all the other kids are talking about "Santa Clause is not real", when he asked me about this I told him that "I really hope they are wrong."

The spirit of Christmas is more than the giving and receiving of gifts, it is more about love and sharing with those you love.

Unfortunately there are those who have lost the spirit of the holiday. :(

But since he has told you about Christmas in the US, maybe you should tell him what is expected for the Chinese holidays, he's from the US and how would he know about the 32 days of gift giving for Chinese New Year. :lol: B)

Christmas in our family has always been a time for gift giving for all ages. Sure the kids receive many more gifts than the adults, in fact I just helped Santa arrange the special gifts for our son a few minutes ago. For some reason he was a bit late getting to our house tonight. But some of the best gifts are given between adults.

This is our son's first Christmas in the US and at age 10 all the other kids are talking about "Santa Clause is not real", when he asked me about this I told him that "I really hope they are wrong."

The spirit of Christmas is more than the giving and receiving of gifts, it is more about love and sharing with those you love.

But since he has told you about Christmas in the US, maybe you should tell him what is expected for the Chinese holidays, he's from the US and how would he know about the 32 days of gift giving for Chinese New Year. :lol: B)

Lee, Thanks for your reply. I'm with you on the point that" the Christmas is more about love and sharing with those you love". My so doesn't seem to think so. He's very annoied that I asked him to buy something, he said it's holiday for americans so it's none of my business, it's too much to ask for a gift.

Unfortunately there are those who have lost the spirit of the holiday. B)

I want to add that since he is not there with you it would have been nice to have recieved a present so that you would have something to remember him by for this special occassion!

Here is my present to you.

May the spirit of Christmas make your loved one remember you on this day next year!

Meimei, I think that you need to look at the whole picture. Does he buy you gifts at anniversaries and birthdays, or other occasions? maybe he doesn't celebrate Christmas? I don't know his background. I wouldn't judge him by this one thing. Maybe he feels that you shouldn't be asking him for gifts? I don't know him, but you need to find out his REAL reason. He bought you a DVD a month ago, so that shows that he does care about you . Also don't look at what other people do, everybody is different.

I Hope you have a good life together! and MERRY CHRISTMAS!!

Edited by stacato (see edit history)

I want to add that since he is not there with you it would have been nice to have recieved a present so that you would have something to remember him by for this special occassion!

Here is my present to you.

May the spirit of Christmas make your loved one remember you on this day next year!

Thank you so much for the present, thank you, it's the first present I got today.

Meimei, I think that you need to look at the whole picture. Does he buy you gifts at anniversaries and birthdays, or other occasions? maybe he doesn't celebrate Christmas? I don't know his background. I wouldn't judge him by this one thing. Maybe he feels that you shouldn't be asking him for gifts? I don't know him, but you need to find out his REAL reason. He bought you a DVD a month ago, so that shows that he does care about you . Also don't look at what other people do, everybody is different.

I Hope you have a good life together! and MERRY CHRISTMAS!!

Thank you stacato, but he didn't buy me gift for my birthday eighter, and I complained so he reluctantly sent me a bunch of belated flower. hehe

Meimei,

Did you give anything to him? Even an ecard is good. In American culture, people would give and take presents.

Don't feel bad, maybe you will get something for Chinese New Year.

Many people in this country do not give gifts for christmas. It is how you are brought up and religion also has a big part in that situation also. I have many friends that do not exchange gifts. Some times it is a little hard on the children as many classmates get many get gifts and they recieve none.This year I did not send my fiance a present as she just got her visa and she would just have one more thing to bring back in a few months. She knows I will make it up when she arrives here in the states. The visa was one of the better christmas gifts she could receive.

Edited by lostinblue (see edit history)

I never sent Christmas presents to the wife and daughter either. It was just a matter of cost and logistics. I did send flowers to the family during Spring Festival and moon-cakes during Moon Festival.

First Rule of Christmas (when I was growing up at least): Be grateful for anything you receive; regardless of when you receive it.

christmas is a time for giving... no matter what anyone says,

i have been purchasing little items for the past month for my SO,

i love to see her expression on her face when she opens presents i gave her.

most deffinitly a natural high for me

i dont understand why someone does not wanna make their woman happy whatever possible way they can.

the man has gotta realize its not only about us, the chinese SO is leaving everything behind to start something completely new.

if your SO has the attitude im doing you a favor for bringing you over to the United STates you might wanna check all the angles before you make such a huge decesion on leaving your country.

there are still alot of good fish in the sea

Edited by izus (see edit history)

Meimei ... I mean no disrespect, but let me offer my point of view ...

Christmas is a Christian religious Holiday. It celebrates the birth of Jesus Christ.

Unfortunately Christmas has been corrupted, in my view, by merchants seeking to make money. Commercial Christmas is hollow; to focus on gifts loses, again in my view, the real meaning of Christmas.

Christmas in China is almost all commercial. Christmas in China has become about youth drinking, dancing and hitting each other with plastic blow up clubs. Christmas in America has become too much, again in my view, about gifts, eating too much, and drinking too much.

You and your Lao Gong are free to make your Christmas whatever you'd like. No one will view this with prejudice. I wish you the very best.