What are good presents?

American Ginsing is huge. Don't discount it, especially if your SO is from the guangdong province. Ginsing is Expensive in China, and many older people favor it for cooking.

Also a few other suggestion are fine chocolates and Hawaii Macadamian nuts.

FU:

Help me here. Is the American Ginsing a tea or what???? Is this something to give to the mother? or to whom???

Thanks,

Lawrence

Edited by phantom1949 (see edit history)

I was just kidding earlier, and since you have not met then things are a bit more sensitive and forgiving at the same time. At least it was for me. You can never go wrong with skin care. Like most my wife is a fanatic about top quality products no matter the cost. That and perfume my wife likes. Of course with me I bought her an EMBA course that she dearly wanted while we wait for immigration. She doesn't expect and even got mad when I did send a box of things. But then we are married and she wants everything to mean something for life in the USA.

She has me put her mobile phone on any package. This way they always get her whether at work, school, or etc.

Personally I could go pick a perfume and she would wear it for me. I sneeze with perfume.

American Ginsing is huge. Don't discount it, especially if your SO is from the guangdong province. Ginsing is Expensive in China, and many older people favor it for cooking.

FU:

Help me here. Is the American Ginsing a tea or what???? Is this something to give to the mother? or to whom???

Thanks,

Lawrence

American 'sing is a great gift but it must be in root form--not powder or capsules.

FU:

Thanks,

Lawrence

American 'sing is a great gift but it must be in root form--not powder or capsules.

OK, Inquiring minds want to know. Where do you get it in root form???

I hope I am not asking to many stupid questions but it is the only way to learn.

My SO had a bad experience with an American and I can only assume that her family met him. So in addition to showing proper respect, I feel like I may have an uphill battle climb here.

All the help and ideas are appreciated.

I have so much to learn.

FU:

Thanks,

Lawrence

I hope I am not asking to many stupid questions but it is the only way to learn.

My SO had a bad experience with an American and I can only assume that her family met him. So in addition to showing proper respect, I feel like I may have an uphill battle climb here.

I have so much to learn.

Most Chinese markets have it in root form. we have bought it in chicago, portland and vegas.. If not ask at your local health food store. They may not have it but most know people who grow or hunt it. If all that fails, think if you know anyone in wisconsin (Roggie). they grow it there and maybe he/she will send you some.

FU:

Thanks,

Lawrence

I have so much to learn.

Most Chinese markets have it in root form. we have bought it in chicago, portland and vegas.. If not ask at your local health food store. They may not have it but most know people who grow or hunt it. If all that fails, think if you know anyone in wisconsin (Roggie). they grow it there and maybe he/she will send you some.

There is ginsing by the barrel full here. Seriously, they scoop it, weigh it and bag it. Can find it almost on every corner Chinese store. Prices vary, depending on quality. PM me and I can fix you up, if you can't find it in your hood.

Quick thought/question....Is ginsing root able to be transported via parcel or air travel to China?

Knowing if I tried to travel with any type of vegetation of any sort into the US, it would be disposed of if found among my belongings on reentry.

Perhaps a bag of ginsing root would not be allowed, but only a prepackaged jar/bottle of the ginsing root sold by a distributor of the herb would be allowed to enter another country.

Thanks for the information to any who may respond. I will now hope to shop for a boat load of this stuff for a gift to her mama providing the answers I read here allow me to do so.

Clayton

Quick thought/question....Is ginsing root able to be transported via parcel or air travel to China?

Knowing if I tried to travel with any type of vegetation of any sort into the US, it would be disposed of if found among my belongings on reentry.

Perhaps a bag of ginsing root would not be allowed, but only a prepackaged jar/bottle of the ginsing root sold by a distributor of the herb would be allowed to enter another country.

Thanks for the information to any who may respond. I will now hope to shop for a boat load of this stuff for a gift to her mama providing the answers I read here allow me to do so.

Clayton

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?...&hl=Ginseng

http://www.dailyvita.com/index.php?cPath=68_69

Edited by tonado (see edit history)

So the holidays are coming and I bought my SO some presents. I bought her some nive skin care porducts (these were recommended to me by a member here),

I believe you must be talking about Nivea skin care products. That was a good choice and they make some good quality products. In another thread I was talking about some expensive lotion, but this is not really necessary. Nivea is good enough for anybody and whoever gets it for a gift should feel thankful. You are buying a lot of gifts for different people! Are you having fun playing Santa Claus? Good luck with your plans.

So the holidays are coming and I bought my SO some presents. I bought her some nive skin care porducts (these were recommended to me by a member here),

I believe you must be talking about Nivea skin care products. That was a good choice and they make some good quality products. In another thread I was talking about some expensive lotion, but this is not really necessary. Nivea is good enough for anybody and whoever gets it for a gift should feel thankful. You are buying a lot of gifts for different people! Are you having fun playing Santa Claus? Good luck with your plans.

Well I am new to this. I purchased some skin care from Victoria Secrets (pink in color and purchased in even numbers).

I guess when my SO is here she will let me know what she wants and likes.

I'm just guessing here about what to get.

Hey Lawrence,

Sorry for the late reply, but it looks like the ginsing experts have all chimed in :nonono:

Yes, Ginsing is a great gift to the SOs, mom! It doesn't have to be crazy expensive, as most chinese only use a small amount of the root in their cooking. I think I spent 60 dollars for 2 packages of medium sized roots, with about 8 in each package. Usually the bigger roots are more expensive than the smaller ones.

As a gift for the parents, VITAMINS believe it or not make a great gift. I bought a few large bottles from COSTCO and they loved em. I guess quality multivitamins are also expensive in China.

Personally I would stay away from make up or skin care products for mom or dad. First it is hard to guess their skin type, the fragrence, if they like the brand, or whether they will use it at all.

Hey Lawrence,

Sorry for the late reply, but it looks like the ginsing experts have all chimed in :nonono:

Yes, Ginsing is a great gift to the SOs, mom! It doesn't have to be crazy expensive, as most chinese only use a small amount of the root in their cooking. I think I spent 60 dollars for 2 packages of medium sized roots, with about 8 in each package. Usually the bigger roots are more expensive than the smaller ones.

As a gift for the parents, VITAMINS believe it or not make a great gift. I bought a few large bottles from COSTCO and they loved em. I guess quality multivitamins are also expensive in China.

Personally I would stay away from make up or skin care products for mom or dad. First it is hard to guess their skin type, the fragrence, if they like the brand, or whether they will use it at all.

Fu:

Thanks. The skin care is for my SO. I am so glad I asked the question as I have learned so much. Who would have thought vitamins, or Ginseng Root??? Where did you get your Ginseng root???

I think everyone had some good ideas and imput. I also liked what Cerberus had to say about getting my SO involved and letting her have the final say on what I get for everyone. That does two things, it does show I am interested in what she has to say and gets the right gifts to the right people.

Thanks again, and if you have any other ideas, please let me know.

Lawrence

Edited by phantom1949 (see edit history)

So what will I do being?

Well, I now know that chocolates and vitamins and American Ginseng are great presents. Who would have thought???

Everyone talks in different posts and threads about chinese culture and savng save and respect and I am learning but still a newbie. I have found that sometimes the best answers are the simplist. In reading and re-reading the post, I went to a thread that Cerberus had where he outlined what he did with his SO. I liked the idea and oop's I copied it.

I wrote Nicole and suggested that I wanted to impress her family. That when we are married (time will tell, buts lets think positevly) we will have secrets that only we will share. I suggested that our first secret could be her letting me know what each family member would love to get. I also assured her that while I would buy the presents, she would have final say on what I purchased.

I got her response today and she was veyr happy. Nicole will tell me what I should get each family member.

This GREAT approach I think accomplished two goals. It makes my life easier as I do not have to guess what to buy and for whom. It also shows nicole that she will have a say in our family and take the lead in certain situations.

I also know to always bring presents in even numbers for people, and to not gift wrap anything until after I arrive in China.

This started out as a simple question, but I have learned so much. The cultures are different and it is important to know the differences. Here in the USA, if I brought someone vitamins pills as a present............

Thanks to all.