Questioning upon Reentry to the USA

I have been thinking about this topic myself, trying to be proactive.

I wonder what would be the least traumatic port of entry for my fiancee especially if I do not go over and fly back with her.

Even on my first trip back from China when I went through Detroit I noticed the guy asking me questions that were just plain stupid. Like why I choose China to visit. I just said I had friends there. He asked this after I told him I went for vacation. Like it is hard to beleive someone would go there just for vacation.I guess that is just reserved for Cancun.

Frankly I just think this whole terrorism thing has given airport personnel of all stripes more reason to act like idiots. They sucked pretty bad before 9/11.

This whole thing is a dog and pony show and I think they question people who obviously don't fit the mold of terrorist or tough guy, but do fit the mold of likely voter and tax payer to impress them with the thorough job they do or maybe they are just bitter that people actually expect them to do something besides scratch there ass all day and get paid.

Now they have to rough up the occasional 60 year old senator or little old white haired lady or the nerdy college kid to make themselves feel like the warrior they hope to be someday.

I have never been impressed with government workers to be honest. The word LOSER pops in my mind many times when dealing with them although I know its not PC.

I know there are many skilled/brave/intelligent gov workers but I only know about this because I read about them or heard about them. I seem to only run into unmotivated ex walmart workers.

I am not impressed especially when the southern border is wide open. We grill people coming in the front door but if they go around back we ignore it. It is a snapshot on everything that is wrong with our crumbling once great country.

Its funny because I walked across the border from Hong Kong to Shenzhen looking like I just broke out of prison. It was the middle of the night, I hadn't changed or shaved in 24 hours, the car that was supposed to pick me up didn't show and I didn't exchange any money at the airport. I was the only white guy in the whole building filled with young chinese crossing back over on a Saturday night and I had two huge bags and in a very foul mood was I.

The guy just didn't like the fact my handwriting on my little form was bad when I went through the line but all in all they were very non plussed by my presence. They had the good sense to understand the CCP was not in any danger because I entered the country and already had a visa and nothing showed up on the scan of my luggage.

No need to ask me a series of meaningless question.

Anyway I am thinking about San Francisco simply because there is a lot of asian's in that area. I hope there would not be comments on the whole mail order bride thing. It would be really nice if one could fly into vermont or maine as the port of entry.

Please list those ports of entry when you do have a bad experience.

Maybe if several people posted complaints to the US immigration website and did it consistently they might be more tactful.

Kangjie,,, Youngster.

I'm not going to say, What I Think You Sound Like To Me. Spoiled, Rich, Brat, Comes to mind!

I just retired from Our Government after 30 years 8 months and 2 days. I worked for a branch of the Department of Justice.

I don't now and never have worked for Walmart.

I worked with some Great people and some not so great people.

There are other CFLers on this site that have and still do work for your Federal Government.

I can't explain why this person acted the way he or she did and I have no excuss for his or her actions.

I will say this,, I retired as a Federal Law Enforcement Officer. I know my Rights as an American Citizen. It would Behove You To Know Yours!

Please don't Lump the rest of us Poor Government Employees together as all AssHoles.

I have Never had a problem Going To or Returning From an other Country and I have traveled all over the world.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Everyone,

Upon returning to the USA from my latest trip to China I got interrogated by the US Customs Officer. Has this happened to others when they go through customs?

Here are a few of the questions I remember.

Why did you go to China? visiting fiancee and relatives

How did you meet your fiancee? online

Did you meet her on one of those sites where you can put in all of the things you want in a woman and they give you exactly what you want? This questioned offended me and I think he realized it and became more probing. I answered a gruff "No" to this question. I did meet my fiancee online, but I actually first emailed her when I was already in Beijing. I emailed her and we met the next day.

Then he asked me, "What is her age? 27 What is your age? 35 What kind of job does she have? receptionist/student

Is this your first time to meet her? I was then answering with short one word answers... "No"

How many times have you been to China? I said 4 Have you traveled a lot abroad? yes

What kind of work do you do? university administrator

Then he remarks, "good luck with that relationship." He sounded cynical.

The whole process left a bad taste in my mouth. I just wondered if others go through this same demeaning process.

I have been asked why I went but never have I been questioned like that.

The first 2 questions were reasonable, the question about how many times you went and your age could have been answered by looking at your passport.

All the other questions did not deserve or require an answer, I admire your diplomacy.

Maybe you should have talked to his supervisor, but no matter what that was just plain wrong for him to treat you like that.

I take that back on my third trip back one did ask some questions about how we met but he was very nice, friendly and polite, at that point it was more like a conversation with someone that was just curious, he had already finished with my passport and inputting data in the computer.

It can be hard to remember the good experiences but the bad you never forget.

Edited by papa bear (see edit history)

I bought 3 faked LV money purse. one faked LV handbag, Can I take them to the US? if I told customs officer the handbag and purse for me, would he let me enter to the US? I am starting again now? :rolleyes: seems every chinese women have to worry a lot, immigration, customs. anything else? ;)

That shouldn't be a problem, just make sure you remove all the tags.

If you were bringing a suitcase full of purses back it may be a problem.

Edited by papa bear (see edit history)
He looks at my passport and sees I have also gone to Costa Rica in the past (and other places) - why did I go there?

Maybe they were looking for a snakehead.

You should file a complaint.

I bought 3 faked LV money purse. one faked LV handbag, Can I take them to the US?
Paula, the Immigration Officers tend to question

1. Very beatifiul young Chinese women.

2. Country folks who don't speak English.

I think you should have no problem. Remember the phone number of your husband so you can call him if necessary when entering US.

The purses are very small. You put the purses and each handbag in different suitcases and I think there should be no problem. It's personal effects.

I sent 14 Crocodile T-shirts (real, not fake) to my lazy Sam and the post office told me to remove all the price tags and packagings - to make it like personal effects otherwise the US customs would think I was smuggling T-shirts :lol: :lol:

Edited by SmilingAsia (see edit history)

Did you meet her on one of those sites where you can put in all of the things you want in a woman and they give you exactly what you want? This questioned offended me and I think he realized it and became more probing. I answered a gruff "No" to this question. I did meet my fiancee online, but I actually first emailed her when I was already in Beijing. I emailed her and we met the next day.

Then he asked me, "What is her age? 27 What is your age? 35 What kind of job does she have? receptionist/student

Is this your first time to meet her? I was then answering with short one word answers... "No"

I would have told the Immigration Officer that the each of the questions above were inappropriate. If he asked two like that I would have asked to see his supervisor. If he refused and then typed something into the computer I would insist on seeing his supervisor.

Be polite. Be unemotional. Be calm. But know your rights. You are not going to be denied entry to the US and don't have to put up with that.

I must say though, I travel internationally all the time and have never been treated like that by immigration. Since I'm often in the Middle East I do get questions but they are polite and logical.

SirLancelot, the POE was Detroit and you are right I'm sure that it was an Immigrations officer.

As I did not have a lot of time to make my connection, asking to see a supervisor would have only compounded my frustrations and my problems. One has to choose his or her battles, and refusing to answer questions from a law enforcement officer will only cause more problems in my opinion. Sure, you will probably come out ahead in the long run, but is it really worth the hassle?

It is sort of ironic that I have received my share of harassment from law enforcement, and I think I'm one of the few people that respects the job that men and women in uniform do.

I have been thinking about this topic myself, trying to be proactive.

I wonder what would be the least traumatic port of entry for my fiancee especially if I do not go over and fly back with her.

Even on my first trip back from China when I went through Detroit I noticed the guy asking me questions that were just plain stupid. Like why I choose China to visit. I just said I had friends there. He asked this after I told him I went for vacation. Like it is hard to beleive someone would go there just for vacation.I guess that is just reserved for Cancun.

Frankly I just think this whole terrorism thing has given airport personnel of all stripes more reason to act like idiots. They sucked pretty bad before 9/11.

This whole thing is a dog and pony show and I think they question people who obviously don't fit the mold of terrorist or tough guy, but do fit the mold of likely voter and tax payer to impress them with the thorough job they do or maybe they are just bitter that people actually expect them to do something besides scratch there ass all day and get paid.

Now they have to rough up the occasional 60 year old senator or little old white haired lady or the nerdy college kid to make themselves feel like the warrior they hope to be someday.

I have never been impressed with government workers to be honest. The word LOSER pops in my mind many times when dealing with them although I know its not PC.

I know there are many skilled/brave/intelligent gov workers but I only know about this because I read about them or heard about them. I seem to only run into unmotivated ex walmart workers.

I am not impressed especially when the southern border is wide open. We grill people coming in the front door but if they go around back we ignore it. It is a snapshot on everything that is wrong with our crumbling once great country.

Its funny because I walked across the border from Hong Kong to Shenzhen looking like I just broke out of prison. It was the middle of the night, I hadn't changed or shaved in 24 hours, the car that was supposed to pick me up didn't show and I didn't exchange any money at the airport. I was the only white guy in the whole building filled with young chinese crossing back over on a Saturday night and I had two huge bags and in a very foul mood was I.

The guy just didn't like the fact my handwriting on my little form was bad when I went through the line but all in all they were very non plussed by my presence. They had the good sense to understand the CCP was not in any danger because I entered the country and already had a visa and nothing showed up on the scan of my luggage.

No need to ask me a series of meaningless question.

Anyway I am thinking about San Francisco simply because there is a lot of asian's in that area. I hope there would not be comments on the whole mail order bride thing. It would be really nice if one could fly into vermont or maine as the port of entry.

Please list those ports of entry when you do have a bad experience.

Maybe if several people posted complaints to the US immigration website and did it consistently they might be more tactful.

Kangjie,,, Youngster.

I'm not going to say, What I Think You Sound Like To Me. Spoiled, Rich, Brat, Comes to mind!

I just retired from Our Government after 30 years 8 months and 2 days. I worked for a branch of the Department of Justice.

I don't now and never have worked for Walmart.

I worked with some Great people and some not so great people.

There are other CFLers on this site that have and still do work for your Federal Government.

I can't explain why this person acted the way he or she did and I have no excuss for his or her actions.

I will say this,, I retired as a Federal Law Enforcement Officer. I know my Rights as an American Citizen. It would Behove You To Know Yours!

Please don't Lump the rest of us Poor Government Employees together as all AssHoles.

I have Never had a problem Going To or Returning From an other Country and I have traveled all over the world.

I may sound like a youngster but I'm actually older than dirt. 43 years old fixin to turn 44.

And would you believe I actually work on a contract that is under a Fed agency for the last 5 years.

Would you believe I actually had a chance to go to work for the DOJ in the dallas area in 1989 but picked another place.

I'm going to stick by my statements down to the last word even though you held a job for 30 years. Do they actually ever fire anybody ever ?

There are some talented Gov workers and I tried not to lump everybody together.

I simply said the ones I run into most often suck.

But I also know for a fact there plenty who don't.

One of my rights as an american citizen is to criticize my government and that is exactly what I'm doing. You should be proud of me or maybe you just don't like that right.

Maybe you never had any problems getting back in the country because you worked for the DOJ ?

I'm a spoiled rich brat because I complain about at gov worker at the airport ?. I am spoiled rich brat then. You win. I expect a little customer service even from MY government.

I seem to only run into unmotivated ex walmart workers.Frankly I just think this whole terrorism thing has given airport personnel of all stripes more reason to act like idiots. They sucked pretty bad before 9/11.I have never been impressed with government workers to be honest. The word LOSER pops in my mind many times when dealing with them although I know its not PC.

Reads to me like you are slamming Government Employees.

Virtually every person entering and leaving the United States by air, sea or land is scored by the Homeland Security Department's Automated Targeting System, or ATS. The scores are based on ATS' analysis of their travel records and other data, including items such as where they are from, how they paid for tickets, their motor vehicle records, past one-way travel, seating preference and what kind of meal they ordered.

Kind of sounds like what happened to us through Guangzhou. Above in color blue.

I was going to post this last night but I thought I might get blasted by some again. :rolleyes:

What the hell difference does it make what I eat...... Going to poision me with radiation?

It's like my toe nail clippers......Yes, I am going to take over the world with my toe nail clippers, stand back!!!!!!!

Listen, The fourth Reich is protecting us. Don't even try to question the immigration o0fficers. It will cause you so much trouble, you will wish you never went to visit your family. Just go along and quietly answer everything and take what they dish out. :)

You guys just are not holding your mouth correctly, that's all - lighten up. :P

Wheel Man

Hello Everyone,

Upon returning to the USA from my latest trip to China I got interrogated by the US Customs Officer. Has this happened to others when they go through customs?

How many times have you been to China? I said 4 Have you traveled a lot abroad? yes

The whole process left a bad taste in my mouth. I just wondered if others go through this same demeaning process.

:lol:

You guys just are not holding your mouth correctly, that's all - lighten up. :P

Wheel Man

Hello Everyone,

:lol:

Watch "Midnight Express" where they ask a few questions like that, then ask him to take off his sunglasses, and motion him on through.

Virtually every person entering and leaving the United States by air, sea or land is scored by the Homeland Security Department's Automated Targeting System, or ATS. The scores are based on ATS' analysis of their travel records and other data, including items such as where they are from, how they paid for tickets, their motor vehicle records, past one-way travel, seating preference and what kind of meal they ordered.

I was going to post this last night but I thought I might get blasted by some again. :threeques:

What the hell difference does it make what I eat...... Going to poision me with radiation?

It's like my toe nail clippers......Yes, I am going to take over the world with my toe nail clippers, stand back!!!!!!!

Listen, The fourth Reich is protecting us. Don't even try to question the immigration o0fficers. It will cause you so much trouble, you will wish you never went to visit your family. Just go along and quietly answer everything and take what they dish out. :shutup:

I read an article pertaining to this last night in my Yahoo news. Although not surprised, I was still shocked. I could say a lot more but as Rick says, shut up and take it!!!!!!!! :shutup:

I was going to post this last night but I thought I might get blasted by some again. :roller:

Listen, The fourth Reich is protecting us. Don't even try to question the immigration o0fficers. It will cause you so much trouble, you will wish you never went to visit your family. Just go along and quietly answer everything and take what they dish out. :rolleyes:

I hate to get off topic but I could not help but notice your timeline. I just sent my K-1 stuff off thursday and Your timeline said you have been waiting since filing your K-1 since September 2005 !!!

This is more scary to me than reentry back to the USA. Please tell me you just have not updated it...