How many visits?

First post, so hi everyone. :sweating_buckets:

I've been looking for a similar discussion forum for Australian visa sponsors, but had no luck. I see that the U.S. procedure is very similar anyway, so I hope you can help me.

I am looking to do the Prospective Marriage Visa to get my girlfriend, Zijing, from China to Australia. I am preparing now to go to China and meet her for the first time in February. After I return to Australia we will begin preparing the visa application. So, I'm basically writing this on her behalf. Her oral English is okay, but not excellent, and she's a little shy.

My question is this. Since I visit her in February, is there anything I can do then that will make the visa application go more smoothly when I return. I will get photo's of us together in China and bring them back, but is there anything else I should do so that I can avoid another trip to China. As you can understand, the flights are not cheap. I'd like to do the February visit, and then go back once more to pick her up after the visa is approved. Is it possible to do this with just the 2 flights, or will I need to go to China more than twice?

Maybe we won't like each other when we meet in Feb, but if we do then I'd like to make any possible arrangements while I'm there that will make the visa process smoother.

Any info would be much appreciated. Thx for any help you can provide.

Troy

Edited by kenshin (see edit history)

First post, so hi everyone. :P

I've been looking for a similar discussion forum for Australian visa sponsors, but had no luck. I see that the U.S. procedure is very similar anyway, so I hope you can help me.

I am looking to do the Prospective Marriage Visa to get my girlfriend, Zijing, from China to Australia. I am preparing now to go to China and meet her for the first time in February. After I return to Australia we will begin preparing the visa application. So, I'm basically writing this on her behalf. Her oral English is okay, but not excellent, and she's a little shy.

My question is this. Since I visit her in February, is there anything I can do then that will make the visa application go more smoothly when I return. I will get photo's of us together in China and bring them back, but is there anything else I should do so that I can avoid another trip to China. As you can understand, the flights are not cheap. I'd like to do the February visit, and then go back once more to pick her up after the visa is approved. Is it possible to do this with just the 2 flights, or will I need to go to China more than twice?

Maybe we won't like each other when we meet in Feb, but if we do then I'd like to make any possible arrangements while I'm there that will make the visa process smoother.

Troy

This forum is dedicated to Sino-American relationships. I doubt anyone here knows much about the specifics of getting a fiancee visa for Australia. As such, I don't think anyone can or will comment.

On a side note, you're already talking about bringing her over to Australia to marry but at the same time you disclose that you may not like each other when you meet in Feb. :huh: This doesn't sound right to me. B)

This is the entire statement I originally made. It's impossible to say whether you like one unless you meet, right? Emails, phonecalls, webcams, etc don't really tell everything. Sure, everything is going extremely well via these indirect communications, but it still doesn't mean everything until we meet.

What I am referring to is that in the event that we truly love each other when we meet, then while I'm in China in February I could possibly do a number of tasks that will make the later visa application easier. Like the photo's I mentioned. I'm not saying whether we will marry, or even like each other, but in the event we do, then I'd like to make sure that I don't need to be going back to China for simple visa requirements like the photo's. It's like pre-planning if you get my drift. Otherwise, I will come back to Australia, and find I need to go back to China to get more evidence for the visa.

What else? Video of us communicating, engagement photo's?

I'm optimistic though. Maybe I get there, we hate each other with a vengeance, and I just have a nice holiday instead. But I would like to cater for the event that we do like each other too.

Hope this makes it clearer.

First post, so hi everyone. :huh:

Troy

Welcome Troy!

Not sure about Aussie regulations on requirements for visas.

You may want to have any documents that require her signiture on hand.

On taking photos, good idea. As for the US system, My wife noted that the Visa Officer

looked longer at the photos with many people, than the photos of just the two of us together.

Begin collecting all documented proof of your visit, and relationship. Everything.

If she needs a Passport, get that started.

Most of all,

Enjoy your visit, get to know each other face to face. Then you will know the direction to take.

Wish you good luck.

Thankyou for the info yuan fen. I think the Australian immigration department is a little more flexible. Example. There are instances of Chinese lady's arriving here on the Prospective Marriage visa with absolutely no written or oral English skills. Just communicate via the translations machine. A bit sad.

She has already begun getting her passport, and my passport should arrive any time now. I was thinking of getting photo's of us taken in front of the Australian Embassy in China, holding the local paper. This plus plane tickets and other reciepts should cover evidence of meeting.

I am keeping all the correspondence, but she hasn't talked much on the phone or webcam as she lacks confidence in her oral English, so I am working to help build her confidence. I also learn some Cantonese. I need to get her confident and talking on the phone more, so we can use the phone bills as evidence.

Maybe I can get video footage of us. Is it okay to take a laptop and video camera in and out of China nowdays, or do customs give hassles about that? What about CD's and DVD's? Will they want to view everything on them?

Thankyou for the info yuan fen. She has already begun the passport process, and my passport should arrive any time now. I was thinking of getting photo's of us taken in front of the Australian Embassy in China, holding the local paper.

I am keeping all the correspondence, but she hasn't talked much on the phone or webcam as she lacks confidence in her oral English, so I am working to help build her confidence. I also learn some Cantonese.

Maybe I can get video footage. Is it okay to take a laptop and video camera in and out of China nowdays, or do customs give hassles about that? What about CD's and DVD's? Will they want to view everything on them?

The local paper will most likely be in Chinese. I don't think you have to go that far. lol

Laptop, video camera, CD's, DVD's, I have never had a problem from the US.

Just keep building your relationship. Learning some of her language is a good start.

Here's some links for you:

Australian Partner Visas

Not sure how active this is, but you might find info by searching...

Australian Immigration Forum

Two CFL threads:

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=19744

This guy's process took 8 months...

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=8641

------

You should understand the initial submission process (eligiblity, etc) and take over any forms, get pics, etc as needed.

Most of those processes around the world are probably really looking at the same three important issues:

- bona-fide relationship (no scamming going on, by either side)

- documentation is in order and consistent

- the sponsor can financially take care of the benficiary (different definitions by country)

That first item is the most elusive since the other two really cut and dry; You want to know that this is the step you want to take, and then spend the entire process building up your relationship (for your own sake and the eventual interview)...

Good luck.

Thankyou for the welcome, links, all the info, and positive comments. :blink:

I will make sure we have all the proof and documention in order before February. I'm in an above average financial position so I should pass the AOS test easily enough. Now all I need to do is help get her oral English skills better, but I know she is practicing as much as she can.

We were going to use a migration agent, but I can see that this isn't really necessary. The Aussie visa application appears to be a lot simpler than the American one. I also have a contact who managed to bring his wife from Thailand to OZ, so he can most likely help us with more info as well.

I'm sure we will both have a wonderful time in February and I'll be sure to come back here to tell everything about it.

I wish everyone the best of luck in this tedious process. ;)

Welcome abord, If I remember right, you can look forward to a much shorter proccess but I'm not sure. I think I remember another Aussie mentioning that here a while back.

The one thing I would add, is keep everything. If yo take a train somewhere, keep both tickets. If you go anywhere that requires addmission, keep both tickets. Keep recipts and so on.

In our case, it helps show that you truly were there together. I had no clue about this when I went but it paid off in the long run.

On the side, looking back, I flew to Shanghai my first time already thinking of Jen as being my future wife and if I had really thought about it logically, that trip was the biggest dumb thing I ever did but also was the best decision I ever made. Go for it, and I wish you all of the luck that brought me my Jennifer. :blink:

Edited by Feathers268 (see edit history)

I hear that getting pictures with you and your honey all dolled up together in traditional Chinese clothes is often quite amusing to the US Visa Officers. You should try to do this, and you don't need to get the expensive all-day wedding photos for this-- I had five-minute costume opportunites at the Great Wall and a wax museum. My SO wouldn't go for it though, she thought it was stupid :) Maybe you'll have better luck.

Anyway, something that is cute and will make them laugh, I hear that's the best way to get started on the right foot. Make sure it's on top of the photo pile.

I hear that getting pictures with you and your honey all dolled up together in traditional Chinese clothes is often quite amusing to the US Visa Officers.

After all we go through in this ridiculous process, I'm glad that "they" find anything "amusing" about it. :blink: