2 Separate Stupid Questions Perhaps?

Hi everyone,

Maybe I am being paranoid but some worries came up to my mind (I guess it happens to most of you). I was China for the first half of the year so my income will appear to be lower than it really is. I will have to show my tax forms and explain this to GZ, but the problem is that I had someone file my taxes for me (in my name) while I was in China. It won't make sense that I am in China but at the same time was able to file my taxes back home. Does anyone know if USCIS will know about this conflict?

Also I am going to have an engagement dinner this December and perhaps buy my fiancee an engagement ring. Is it wise to let GZ know of this during the interview and show them pictures of the dinner? The reason I ask this is because they may be suspicious that we are already married if they see the dinner pictures (which may look like a wedding ceremony to them and the ring) I heard that it is more difficult for couples who are already married to get a visa.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

Hi everyone,

Maybe I am being paranoid but some worries came up to my mind (I guess it happens to most of you). I was China for the first half of the year so my income will appear to be lower than it really is. I will have to show my tax forms and explain this to GZ, but the problem is that I had someone file my taxes for me (in my name) while I was in China. It won't make sense that I am in China but at the same time was able to file my taxes back home. Does anyone know if USCIS will know about this conflict?

Also I am going to have an engagement dinner this December and perhaps buy my fiancee an engagement ring. Is it wise to let GZ know of this during the interview and show them pictures of the dinner? The reason I ask this is because they may be suspicious that we are already married if they see the dinner pictures (which may look like a wedding ceremony to them and the ring) I heard that it is more difficult for couples who are already married to get a visa.

There is no reason a person needs to be in the USA to file their taxes. You can be anywhere. Now, if your signature is forged on the tax forms, that's another matter but you can submit IRS transcripts instead of actual tax forms. Transcripts do not bear signatures. For example, many people file electronically, so they never physically sign their tax returns.

I would only venture a guess that your engagement dinner pictures, including those with the ring would serve as good proof of relationship and intent to marry. It's an engagement dinner, not a wedding, right? Congratulations.

Edited by Duke (see edit history)

Hi everyone,

The pictures for the dinner are no problem. I included about ten pictures of our engagement party with my I-129F. The consulate could look at them before the interview this way. I had them labeled engagement party. Also, I submitted other pictures with us spending time in China with her friends and family. These kinds of things help to show a bonafide relationship.

Filing taxes while out of country is not uncommon, and in fact is required, so the Visa Officer wont have a problem with this, if you had not then questions would come up as to why a return was not filed.

http://www.irs.gov/faqs/faq13.html

As for income level, You need to meet at least 125% of the poverty line.

Poverty Guidelines I-864P

If below that then need to add in assets or find a co-sponsor that can help make up the difference.

Finally no the pictures from an engagement party wont hurt your case, in fact it helps establish a solid relationship. A receipt for the engagement ring helps as evidence for the petition.

You heard wrong, it makes no difference about marital status, married or unmarried.

A good comparison guide of visa options can be found here: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...mp;page=compare

Good luck!

I heard that it is more difficult for couples who are already married to get a visa.

Ultimately, to get the visa is a very,very high success rate, regardless of your visa type.

Whether you get it based on the interview (vs [subsequent] overcome--means you had to present more evidence or documentation) appears to have some statistical variation based on the visa and filing location..

Realize our sample set at CFL is quite small... but here are some numbers:

- CR1 filing in the US: it does appear that a spousal CR1 filing in the US runs at 76% passing rate at the interview; lowest of all categories. I think this can be explain for a few reasons: It's an immigrant visa and so consular adjustment is occurring at the same time; married folks tend to be scrutinized more.

- K3 filing in the US: Next lowest.. so again, spousal visa. (80%).

- K1: The fiancee visa, K1, has the highest passing rate for filing in the US... this is a non-immigrant visa (with immigrant intent)... (85%)

- DCF: A spousal CR1 filing abroad implies the person lives with the beneficiary.. this is a 100% passing rate, hopefully for obvious reasons... (100%)

So then if the minimum poverty guidelines are met....say making $50,000 a year......then bank statements, mortgages, etc don't need to be provided?? Really only the completed form, tax forms, and a letter from employer stating employment status/salary/etc??

Thank you :rolleyes:

Correct, just need to provide evidence of income, which is past 1-3 years tax returns, or transcripts, A letter from employer showing that you have a job, and a few recent pay stubs to show that you get paid regularly. The other items are just needed if income is below the line and need evidence that you can make up the difference, also the rule is to take assets and divide by three. So for example; lets say the poverty line is 15,000 and a person makes 12,000 per year, then need to show liquid assets of 9,000 (9000/3=3000) to make up the difference.

Make sense?

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)

So then if the minimum poverty guidelines are met....say making $50,000 a year......then bank statements, mortgages, etc don't need to be provided?? Really only the completed form, tax forms, and a letter from employer stating employment status/salary/etc??

Thank you :)

Welcome ya'll,

One thing ya'll got to know is us Texans stretch the truth sometimes, okay?

So, we will leave out all the emotions from here on out.

We were, interview 12 Oct 06, K1. If ya'll have filed something different, it may apply too.

Meiji Huaren,

One thing! ;)

No questions are Ssss, ..... Ssssss.........Stu.....pp....ppp.id! :lol:

Not clear on your situation in the tax area, but;

Pictures?

This is what I did.

Take as many pictures as you can. Ring!, and all that. The best pictures are the "with too many people (that are happy, recomended,) pictures."

Day one! Take a picture of the two of you together in a cab, together in the kitchen, walking down the street. ( Or more, it doesnt have to be just 1 picture, take 1,000. )

Day two? do the same. The more people that knows ya'll are destined, the better. Get'em all involved. :lol:

and so on........

danielm2,

Welcome! And yes as K1, in our case, but it may be true for other visas also, but I'm not exactly sure. Ya know, cases differ........

Some of this is only personal beliefs on the copies at origin, so all copies are originals. Red stamped if ya will. This is what we had at interview.

1. Affidavit (3 copies, notarized of course)

2. Letter from employer

3. Tax Transcripts

Try to have 2 and 3 when you have the Affidavit is notarized, have them stamp every freaking page of everything! Proof positive, ya know?

This was fairly easy for me to obtain in the US.

All this a must?, not if they don't ask for it. Just have it labeled for quick retrieval. ;)

Ohh,

I did have the original SS report from 2005, but it is not required. (kitchen sink syndrome) They took it, I think. :angry:

The 3 copies bit? Hey, why go back if you don't have toooooooo! Plus, you can give them originals.

They took one of ours.

Not sweating it, I have extras. :)

We obtained three copies of everything. Why? Dunno........ :angry:

CYA, I guess...... :lol:

Duke,

Tax transcripts, nothing signed on taxes, worked in our case.

Hi everyone,

If you think the dinner party could make your relationship look stronger, then go ahead but you don't have to IMO. They might ask your SO when did you guys engaged(in my case they did), then she might talk about more details.

I have a somewhat similar predicament with the poster, and getting really confused about whether or not I should file I-864EZ or joint I-864's. My 2005 Tax Return shows my income as only $6000 above poverty guideline, cuz my contract ended in July, I don't know if that'll be enough to convince the VO I'm financially sound.

Then for 2006, first 6 months I spent in China working on a chinese salary, then came back, got started at a new job with salary way above 125% poverty guideline. Problem is I started in September and am only getting paid for the last 3 months of 2006. On I-864EZ, #18, where it says " my individual annual income is currnetly:___" I don't know if I should write down the income I'm getting with my new job, or my expected income for 2006 (which then wouldn't meet the 125% guideline). And so that means I'd have to find a joint sponsor (another complicated ordeal).

Also, I've taken a look at the list of documents required for overcome on the blue slips, is it recommended for SO to lug everything on this list to the interview, so that if VO tries to give blue slip, SO can pull out the stuff he's asking for?

Quite a few SOs on 001 have been blue-slipped recently, and I'm starting to think GUZ is trying to fill its blue slip quota.

I have a somewhat similar predicament with the poster, and getting really confused about whether or not I should file I-864EZ or joint I-864's. My 2005 Tax Return shows my income as only $6000 above poverty guideline, cuz my contract ended in July, I don't know if that'll be enough to convince the VO I'm financially sound.

Then for 2006, first 6 months I spent in China working on a chinese salary, then came back, got started at a new job with salary way above 125% poverty guideline. Problem is I started in September and am only getting paid for the last 3 months of 2006. On I-864EZ, #18, where it says " my individual annual income is currnetly:___" I don't know if I should write down the income I'm getting with my new job, or my expected income for 2006 (which then wouldn't meet the 125% guideline). And so that means I'd have to find a joint sponsor (another complicated ordeal).

Also, I've taken a look at the list of documents required for overcome on the blue slips, is it recommended for SO to lug everything on this list to the interview, so that if VO tries to give blue slip, SO can pull out the stuff he's asking for?

Quite a few SOs on 001 have been blue-slipped recently, and I'm starting to think GUZ is trying to fill its blue slip quota.

keep these two thoughts in mind:

1) You either make meet the minimum requirement or you don't. (assures you meet it today)

2) Your current level of income is consistent, full-time and sustainable into the future. (assures you meet it in the future, as of now).

If you meet the guideline requirement you are not allowed to provide a joint sponsor (since it's meaningless--glad that logic prevails at times). But the VO can requested one if they deem it is required. I would assume this part is due to questioning the sustainability of your income.

For your situation, you have late year income which it sounds like doesn't put you over the annual poverty guideline, although the new job certain meets it [once you get into next year]...

If it were me, I would do the following:

1) In #18, put my current year salary... what you made. Below #18 there is just enough space to put in a comment, which I would state having started a new job in Sept at an annualized income of $ xxxx for 2007 , to show your sustainability is going over the guideline.

2) I'd bring proof of the new job's income (employer letter and maybe paystubs or bank statement showing consistent salary deposits). (I feel that proof of the current job is your most important issue).

3) I'd have a joint sponsor filled out in case the VO asks for one. (but it gets complicated here; if you use a joint sponsor, you cannot use the EZ form. So that means you can either have two forms for yourself prepared or just prepare only the longer form for yourself--to be used in either situation).

Much of 'extra' stuff to bring to an interview is not going to be asked during the interview, but for overcome.. so you are bringing it really to have it on hand instead of sending it to china.

Blue slip quota comment: It's apparent that the air changed directions... There is a new "letter to K1/K2 applicants" which asks for information to be brought to the interview which we are clearly seeing is being asked for at interviews.. but it seems these items are also being asked for from spousal applicants ! I think they are simply following a stricter review of the cases, which can include these items mentioned in the letter...

Edited by DavidZixuan (see edit history)