Details of wife's successful CR1 interview on Oct. 30th

Now that we have received my wife's visa and medical record and returned from GUZ I want to post the details of her interview experience, as promised, in the hope it might be helpful for future interviewee's. I arrived in her hometown of Chengdu on Oct. 15th (a day late due to United flight delay to Beijing). We began to complete the extensive preparation that my wife and I had both been working on separately. We filled several books of photo's, our best I wrote notes about what date and visit, the occasion, and who was in the picture. I reviewed the emails, IM logs, and complete Yahoo messenger conversations my wife had chosen and printed, and thought those she had chosen were very good, covering the early part of our writing, after each of the 2 month long visits I'd had with her before my 3rd trip to be with her in GUZ. I chose a few more I thought might be helpful, she had been preparing for a TOFEL test (english language skill test required by schools for students whose 1st language isn't english, and our plans are for my wife to go to school after she has a chance to get acclimated, and work for a degree in accounting, (she's has a degree in Computer Applications from the University she attended in Chengdu) and we had worked together on improving her written english by her writing "essays" which I would correct and comment on. I felt these would be good to show both her already good english language skills, and to show that we work together to help each other. Also some emails my mother, father, and brother's and sister had sent her, and that she had sent them. We had gone with the "kitchen sink" approach, but as advised by CFL members, organized the items she would have ready to present at the interview on the principle of keeping it simple but complete. My income is sufficient to not require assets beyond my salary, so I had prepared an I-864EZ, and chose to provide the optional 3 years of tax transcripts, even though only 1 year is required. I also had it notarized, which I know is no longer required but which my wife wanted me to do, and I did so that she would feel confident and to respect her request since she had been told on the chinese BBS that it was necessary. I had a letter from my employer showing that I had worked for them for 23 years, worked full time, my monthly salary, and job title signed by the director of my department on office letterhead, and attached my business card to it. I did put a printout of my various account balances as of the day before I flew to Chengdu with this packet. I had a new certified copy of my 2000 divorce decreeI had an I-864 with assets (home value, bank accounts info., CD's, and also copies of previous 3 years of tax returns, etc.) and on the advice of some member's who wrote me privately I had asked my ex-wife to give me a utility bill, or something to show we had no connection except the care of the son we had during our 17 year marriage. She not only gave me a bill, but copied her marriage certificate to her new husband, and even wrote a nice note stating that we had nothing in common except the care of our son, and even wrote that she knew wished my wife and me the best in our new life together in the US. We had much more but I'll spare you the complete list. We practiced the questions listed on CFL, and the Chinese BBS, went over every document I helped her complete from the P4 packet she received, and all the A list documents we planned for her to be ready to present when asked. I wrote a 2 pg. "story" about how we met, my visits, and communication when we were apart, and with her help the reasons why she chose to list with an introduction agency. We also had packets with every letter, card, and a few small gifts we had given each other, and that my family member's had received from her, or she had sent to them. We then flew to GUZ on Oct. 25th and stayed at a hotel my wife had booked run by a Mr. Xia, who I had confused with Mr. Xie, whose hotel has been described as a good place to stay by other CFL members. Mama bear, whom so much has recently been written about after her unfortunate blue slip experience and I had exchanged personal message's and planned to meet in GUZ due to my mistake of thinking we would be at Mr.Xie's at the same time. Mr. Xia was extremely helpful to us and I would recommend him as another place member's could stay with confidence that they would receive helpful information, and stay in a comfortable apartment two blocks from the consulate at a reasonable price. He reviewed our documents, said we had done a good job, drove my wife to the hospital for her medical exam and vaccinations, and encouraged us when we expressed fears about the interview. His web site showing the rooms, and information can be accessed at; MSN:www.yxyx.cn

We got to the consulate at 7:00 a.m., and we waited in line for an hour before they began to check people's app't. letters and let them into the consulate. I accompanied her until she went through the 1st security check, handed her my passport, and wished her good luck and told her I loved her. I waited in the coffee shop until about 10 a.m., and then the 1st people began to exit the interview room. At 10:30 my wife called on my cell, and told me the happy news she had passed! She was interviewed by a Korean-american VO, she greeted him in english and he responded in chinese and continued the interview in chinese even though my wife said she could speak english. He asked for only the following; 1) How many times had I visited her. 2) Asked to see my passport. 3) How and where did we meet-wife told him internet, and he asked which web site and she told him ChinaLove 4) How we communicated-she told him by daily emails and instant messaging, and phone calls. 5) Asked to see our emails-she gave him emails and log that showed we wrote each day. 6) Asked to see pictures, wife offered him wedding photo's, he said he wanted pictures of us together during my visits. 7) And asked my wife her job. She saw him reach for the pink slips, and he then told her she passed. She repacked the huge bag of documents quickly and left the crowded interview room to meet me. As a side note there were more people in the interview room than there were chairs, so sit down quickly if you want a seat.

We picked up here visa two days later at the post office without trouble, then went to the medical facility to get her medical records. We spent the day between the interview and the pick up date visiting Guangzhou's very lovely Botanical Garden, if you are interested in a quiet oasis from the cities bustle, but I would not recommend that you eat at the restaurant there.

Congradulations to you both!

Congratulations to both of you! I am so glad that our CFL members have passed the interview. By the way, would you mind giving me your email address so that I can write you privately regarding the process details? I am waiting on a CR 1 visa as well. I really hope we can keep in touch.

Again, congratulations!!!!!!

GOD BLESS YOU!

FREEASABIRD