Missing I-94

We made it safely back to the U.S. These past few weeks seemed like a blur as we drove all over town apartment hunting and finally moving into our new place. All the while we are having a blast enjoying our new life together.

On Halloween we went trick-or-treating with my 8 and 10-year old nephews. Xiaoxia was amazed by the beautiful decorations and the abundance of free candies :rolleyes:

Yesterday, we tried to apply for Xiaoxia's SSN at a local SSA office but were turned down because she didn't have an I-94. The administrator told us the I-94 should have been attached to the passport by the immigration officer at the LAX's POE. No I-94 was attached to Xiaoxia's passport. We don't remember receiving anything back from the immigration officer except her passport. What should we do now?

Thanks.

Chris & Xiaoxia

Thanks for your responses? Ouch. $160 fee! We are very positive we weren't given an I-94 at the LAX POE.

Has anyone gone through this before where they weren't given an I-94 at the POE? Should I go back to the LAX POE and ask for it?

Chris

No - did you get a customs declaration on the plane? Non-citizens should have been given the I-94 as well. If she doesn't have it stapled in her passport next to the visa (go back and look again), I'm certain you're stuck for the $160. Remember that it proves that she arrived legitimately.

I hate to be too basic, but did you look in her passport next to her visa?

The flight attendants walk up and down the aisles of the plane handing out these forms. The airport has nothing to do with this. I have flown and returned to China 3 times, and each time, no matter what the airline, the forms were handed out in time to be completed before landing on US soil.

My SO arrives tomorrow, and during our final Yahoo chat last night, I emphasized the fact that she will be offered these forms to fill out, and will need them.

Mike

We made it safely back to the U.S. These past few weeks seemed like a blur as we drove all over town apartment hunting and finally moving into our new place. All the while we are having a blast enjoying our new life together.

On Halloween we went trick-or-treating with my 8 and 10-year old nephews. Xiaoxia was amazed by the beautiful decorations and the abundance of free candies :unsure:

Yesterday, we tried to apply for Xiaoxia's SSN at a local SSA office but were turned down because she didn't have an I-94. The administrator told us the I-94 should have been attached to the passport by the immigration officer at the LAX's POE. No I-94 was attached to Xiaoxia's passport. We don't remember receiving anything back from the immigration officer except her passport. What should we do now?

Thanks.

Chris & Xiaoxia

Did you search all parts of your carry on luggage and the pockets of the clothes you wore that day? The I-94 is a small form with handwritten info that could easily get mixed up with the customs form that you fill out on the plane.

Last time I flew back from Beijing to Chicago, the attendants ran out of the I-94 cards and passengers got them as they approached Customs in the airport. So the plane is not the only location that they could be acquired, but also when getting off the plane in the area just before seeing the customs officer.

Chris, depending on how much the $160 means to you I'd try an InfoPass appointment. One of the times we were at the Santa Ana office there was a guy (European student, I think) who had lost his card and was getting a new one. They were dealing with him and everyone looked happy. The USCIS people have been know to "waive fees" if you have a reasonable story however I have no direct experience with I-94 replacement.

It may be worth a try ... be nice, be charming, etc :roller:

I have just made an InfoPass appointment. Looks like we will have to apply for a new I-94. But it¡¯s no big deal.

The I-94 is nowhere to be found. We are very positive the immigration officer didn't give us the I-94. No matter how many times we said that, it doesn¡¯t matter dose it? Most people will assume we lost it. Anyway, thanks for your help.

Chris

Now I don't feel so badly. I use a 2.2 cents per minute phone service to call China. Normally, a one hour call costs about a dollar and 32 cents - even by calling the local access number from my cell phone. So one day last month I dialed the local access number from the cell and somehow accidentally punched the wrong button - it dialed China over the wirless network without me knowing. Gosh, that 52 minute call from my cell phone cost me $98 making the total bill about what the lost I-94 is going to cost you - $160. Guess I don't have to tell you what the moral of the story is, do I? We're both need to be more careful and pay more attention to what we are doing, smile.

Wishing you all the best,

Wheel Man

I have just made an InfoPass appointment. Looks like we will have to apply for a new I-94. But it¡¯s no big deal.

The I-94 is nowhere to be found. We are very positive the immigration officer didn't give us the I-94. No matter how many times we said that, it doesn¡¯t matter dose it? Most people will assume we lost it. Anyway, thanks for your help.

Chris