English 101..????

......I have been told that the most important part of the interview has to do with... : how ' well ' the Chinese person in question speaks English....and I don't know ,..also maybe.. writes English..? Can someone tell me if that is so. And if it is at all possible ...can someone illustrate in some way what they figure will be admissible and what will not pass ....and is there in fact also a written test. :( ...later...thank you.

......I have been told that the most important part of the interview has to do with... : how ' well ' the Chinese person in question speaks English....and I don't know ,..also maybe.. writes English..? Can someone tell me if that is so. And if it is at all possible ...can someone illustrate in some way what they figure will be admissible and what will not pass ....and is there in fact also a written test. :D ...later...thank you.

My wife (former SO) learned to say "English, no. Please Putonghua". That was all the English she needed for the interview.

You are allowed to communicate via electronic translators, or any other means you feel appropriate.

I'm somewhat concerned myself, however, I have never heard of a "written test." I have only heard that the couple should be able to communicate and should be able to prove that they can communicate with each other. Sometimes the VO might ask for a tape or dvd to prove communication between the two of you. Others here will respond to this I'm sure.

Nope, no written test and no laws etc.. that state that you must speak Chinese or she must speak English. HOWEVER, you MUST prove a valid relationship. Communicating is part of that. When wifey interviewed she told them that we communicate via 'chinglish', pocket translators, computer translaters, mutual friends who are bi lingual etc etc.... she spoke almost no english and had no problem at the interview!!

Oo, ooooo ooo oo, don't forget about the 'language of love'--although getting wifey to make a video for the VO may be a bit problematic!?!?!?!?

I agree that it most important for you to have proof of relationship and ability to communicate evidence with you such as email logs, phone call records, MSN or Skype history logs. My wife practiced all the possible questions in English and the VO ended talking to her in Chinese. It won't make or break your interview. Just show you two can communicate somehow. Don't worry and good luck.

My wife (former SO) learned to say "English, no. Please Putonghua". That was all the English she needed for the interview

My concern is whether or not they will conduct the interview in Cantonese?

?. . . and the mood of the VO.?
?Too true, Scott. WAY too true. In my view, it's extremely important to set the mood by smiling appropriately, placing pictures and/or passports on the counter where the VO wll see them whether he wants to or not, having a 5 foot, 3 part backdrop (just kidding), etc. Ron - one member reported having a dialect problem, but I think they will accomodate Cantonese.