Hey! We are currently in what I believe to be the final stages of the visa process. We also really want to move from our current home. Do you guys think this would be a good idea right now? I know about the change of address form(had to do that once before). I don't really trust the local post office to forward our mail in a timely fashion. Our mailman leaves undeliverable letters laying around the mailroom. I don't want to be one of these and I'm reluctant to move, but my wife is more willing to take a chance...

Hey! We are currently in what I believe to be the final stages of the visa process. We also really want to move from our current home. Do you guys think this would be a good idea right now? I know about the change of address form(had to do that once before). I don't really trust the local post office to forward our mail in a timely fashion. Our mailman leaves undeliverable letters laying around the mailroom. I don't want to be one of these and I'm reluctant to move, but my wife is more willing to take a chance...

Sounds like she has her visa and is here - if so, file a Change of Address with the USCIS.

I think that most of the mail from USCIS is marked "Do Nt Forward", so you will need to keep them current.

Sounds like she has her visa and is here - if so, file a Change of Address with the USCIS.

I think that most of the mail from USCIS is marked "Do Nt Forward", so you will need to keep them current.

You are correct sir! ;)

Andrew B)

Although UCSIS does indeed have some control, they DO NOT own you. What can they do?? She's already here. Make whatever decision you feel is in your best interest independent of fear of the UCSIS!!

Edited by Trigg (see edit history)

Your statement about being in the final stages of the visa make me think you are waiting for P-4 from GZ then you need to make sure that GZ is notified of the change of address.

You can do this via their online mail form, but it is extremely important that she update her Hukou with the new address as well so the China Post will be able to try to locate her. Hopefully you included a phone number for her on the DS-230. If you did they will try to call to verify. They do not send P-4 through the regular mail, but by EMS.

I should clarify: I should have mentioned we are trying to get her CR-1 lifted so she will have the 10 yr green card. We married in China and have been together for 3 years. We sent Vermont everything but the kitchen sink and they wanted more in order to prove it is not a fake marriage. So, we got 8 more affidavits, insurance cards, life insurance, bank statements, photos , wedding DVD. We sent more than this the first time but they still want more. Very annoying! :rolleyes:

I should clarify: I should have mentioned we are trying to get her CR-1 lifted so she will have the 10 yr green card. We married in China and have been together for 3 years. We sent Vermont everything but the kitchen sink and they wanted more in order to prove it is not a fake marriage. So, we got 8 more affidavits, insurance cards, life insurance, bank statements, photos , wedding DVD. We sent more than this the first time but they still want more. Very annoying! :rolleyes:

Buying or renting a new home is another piece of evidence, so go for it.

Something you might do is to arrange with the people who will be moving in to collect your mail for you and not submit a change of address until you receive a confirmation of an address change from the USCIS.

One of the safer ways to submit an address change for the green card and I-864 is to make an infopass appointment and do it in person.